• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Yahoo Mail Notifications Not Working

amurgarra

Lurker
Dec 27, 2019
Hello!! Just got a new Huawei P30 Pro and am not getting alerts on my Yahoo Mail app when I receive a Yahoo email. I have been to a lot of forums and have tried everything. My phone (Android 9/EMUI 9.1.0) is in Performance Mode and not in Power/Ultra Power Saving Mode. In 'Battery Optimization', Yahoo Mail is set to 'Not Allowed'. All notifications are ON in both the Android apps settings for Yahoo Mail and inside the Yahoo Mail app itself. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. I have restarted the phone itself many times. I have force stopped the app and cleared cache inside the app. Whean I started setting up the phone, I did not restore from a previous device. It was a fresh, clean 'install'. Both Android and EMUI are up to date. All apps from Google Play are up to date. I don't know what else to do. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

Welcome to Android Forums, amurgarra! :)

It sounds like you've already done a very thorough job of trying to figure this out. Because of that, there's not a lot to suggest!

I have no experience with Yahoo's mail app, but I'm wondering: immediately before uninstalling/reinstalling it, did you delete its cache -and- data? If not, that's what I'd try: close the app, delete its cache and data, force stop, uninstall, then reinstall.

If you're still not getting alerts, @ocnbrze's last resort option, factory reset, may be in order.

Just BTW, I have the same problem with Venmo's app. I even posted about it. Nothing has fixed it. :eek: Meanwhile, with the exact same events chosen, it -does- send me e-mail notifications. But since my e-mail resides on my main computer, and I'm not usually sitting at it, if I'm expecting a transaction...I log in to Venmo to check... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@ocnbrze ...thank you for letting me know about not displaying the EMEI #. I should have known that. :mad: To answer your question, I manually updated the system software. After phone installed the update and restarted, I would check again to see if there were more updates until on the fourth time, the system told me that there were no further updates. I then proceeded to install my apps and configure the phone to my liking.

It seems the Android Forum Team has deleted that screenshot of my system info, as I cannot see it anymore. Thank you team!

And thank you for the welcome, MoodyBlues.

I don't give up easily. That said, I found the fix!!

1. Go to 'Settings'.
2. Then 'Apps'.
3. In 'Apps', once again, tap 'Apps'.
4. Tap on 3 dots on top right corner of screen. From pull-down menu that appears, select 'Special access'.
5. Tap 'Battery optimization'.
6. Look for 'Essential Apps', tap it and choose 'Don't allow'. (Side note...'Essential Apps' may not appear on your phone. I checked my Huawei P20 Pro and it was not there. I also had no push notification issues with Yahoo Mail app on the P20 Pro)

That's it. I sent myself an email from my gmail account and voiIa...I received the push notification from my Yahoo Mail app. Who knew? Amazing.

Just to let you know, I quadruple-checked it. Meaning, I changed the setting in 'Essential Apps' back and forth from 'Allow' to 'Don't Allow'. Every time I was in 'Allow' mode, I sent an email from my gmail account to my Yahoo account and would not receive a push notification from Yahoo Mail app. Changing back to 'Don't Allow', I followed same procedure and would receive a push notification from Yahoo Mail app every time. Did not need to clear cache, restart phone, uninstall Yahoo Mail app, etc. while double-checking the settings in 'Essential Apps'. So, it's pretty safe to say, that THAT was the problem. I really hope this helps people who are having the same or similar types of issues with push notifications. @MoodyBlues...I hope that this fixes your problem with your Venmo app. That said, it's a curious thing, from the apps installed on my phone that can receive notifications, that before I discovered the solution, they all received push notifications. Except, of course, the Yahoo Mail app. It would be interesting to know why this solution (so far), only affects the Yahoo Mail app.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And thank you for the welcome, MoodyBlues.
You're very welcome. I'm always happy to see new members, but it's extra nice when they're clearly trying hard to solve their problem. :)
(Side note...'Essential Apps' may not appear on your phone
Yep, there's no such creature on mine! Oh well. Not getting the occasional Venmo alert is far less annoying than not getting mail notifications. I'm really glad you solved your problem, and posting its solution will probably help someone else down the road. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones