• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Yahoo Mail Stopped Working

I"m having the same issue with both of my Yahoo! accounts. I shot them an email and got a reply that said they were having an unusually high volume of emails. hmmm.. what a surprise. They do still have the instructions on how to set up an imap account, so it looks as if they are going to have the free option available, but this really sux. Nothing I have tried will fix it.

Upvote 0
I've got an Incredible running on the Verizon network. Been having this yahoo mail problem for about a week. Running 2.2. So, I don't believe this is a Sprint issue or a Verizon issue. I believe it's a Yahoo issue. Meanwhile, I'm doing what many of you are doing; namely using the Yahoo app from the market. It gets the job done and allows you to view all your various Yahoo folders. But I still preferred the stock mail app.

Upvote 0
I was able to get K9 mail working with my yahoo account. The HTC stock email still does not receive my yahoo mail. It will send though.

The K9 mail app works flawlessly with IMAP which is what I was using with the stock HTC mail. This points to a problem with the HTC mail app and yahoo. One of those is the problem.

Maybe Yahoo is refusing email download to the Android device. Just a thought, but maybe when K9 checks for email it doesn't identify as an android device so Yahoo works.

Upvote 0
Maybe Yahoo is refusing email download to the Android device. Just a thought, but maybe when K9 checks for email it doesn't identify as an android device so Yahoo works.

Perhaps something not configurable is different. The default configuration is different for the two (K9 and HTC), so I changed the server and port settings in the HTC email client to match those that K9 uses, but it didn't make a difference. Still stumped.

Upvote 0
I was able to get K9 mail working with my yahoo account. The HTC stock email still does not receive my yahoo mail. It will send though.

The K9 mail app works flawlessly with IMAP which is what I was using with the stock HTC mail. This points to a problem with the HTC mail app and yahoo. One of those is the problem.

K9 IS working fine after setting it up but it doesnt seem to automatically be checking for new email even though I have background sync set to always. I have to manually go in and check for mail from yahoo/opt/gmail. Can i change this?

Upvote 0
K9 IS working fine after setting it up but it doesnt seem to automatically be checking for new email even though I have background sync set to always. I have to manually go in and check for mail from yahoo/opt/gmail. Can i change this?

I Noticed that too, but I just assumed that the issue with Yahoo/HTC was interfering with the automatic checking. Perhaps I will delete my Yahoo accounts from HTC and see if K9 starts auto checking again.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem on the HTC Incedible running Android 2.2 OTA (Rooted). My wife, who is running the 2.2 OTA (Not Rooted) does not have the problem. All of our settings are the same. I have tried everything here with no success except K9. I'm thinking about installing that to see if it will work for me.

Upvote 0
I also think it is a Yahoo problem for the following reasons:

1. The client software did not change when the problem occured. It suddenly stopped receiving new email. So it was not a setting nor a client software issue.

2. Both Sprint and Verizon customers reported the same issue. So it is not likely a network issue.

3. Some people have more than one Yahoo mail accounts in their Android phones. Some accounts work and some don't on the same Android phones. This further supports the above two claims.

The only common denominator is Yahoo mail.

Upvote 0
Just thought I'd add my own experience. Same thing started happening to me last night. I have two email accounts and one is still ok, but the other doesn't with same symptons as others - can send email but won't retrieve email.

I also tried deleting account and adding it back, but so far nothing works. I installed the yahoo mail app, but much prefer the native android mail app.

I'm on stock 2.2, non rooted EVO.

Upvote 0
Just to add some more information about the sudden loss of Yahoo E-mail downloading in the HTC mail application. Last Friday (6/24) I lost my EVO. Yahoo was working fine then. Monday the new replacement phone arrived and I immediately upgraded to 2.3.3 Gingerbread and then set up my HTC app's Yahoo Account and restored my apps and data. Everything was working fine when I went to bed with a fully restored phone. Tuesday morning I woke up to no new email and immediatelty checked and found it wasn't receiving but still sending. Deleted Yahoo account and shut-down with battery removal. No joy. Just the message "no email." Installed the Yahoo app and had full access but it kills the battery fast. I emailed Yahoo and haven't heard anything.

I had this problem a couple months ago and the work around was deleting the "android" reference in the IMAP/SMTP routing fields. But no success this time. I have about had it with Yahoo email. Even though it is free, it is not anything special. Starting the process of migrating to Gmail and leaving yahoo email to collect spam for me. After two incidents like this in 3 months, it is obvious to me that Yahoo is not serious about fully supporting mobile platforms for the free accounts.

Upvote 0
I have a Gmail account (same address @gmail) that works fine.

Yahoo mails CAN be found if one uses the Yahoo App for Android.

MAYBE, just maybe - the MAIL APP for Android was screwed up with a system update?

If one were paranoid - one might even think this was contrived by Google to get people to dump Yahoo Mail.

Hmmmmmmm:eek:

Upvote 0
I contacted them, they told me to use their specific imap settings, that didn't work. This is their latest response-

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Mobile.

We appreciate your writing us back, and we are sorry to hear that you
are still unable to receive your emails on your HTC Evo. I have given
the information you provided to our Mobile Product Team. Investigating
and resolving this issue may take some time.

Your ticket number for this issue is xxxxxxxxx. Please refer to this
number in any future correspondence regarding this issue.

It appears that both the Yahoo! Mail application and the Yahoo! Mobile
Mail page are unaffected by this issue. As a work around I recommend you
visit:

Login

You can either access your email directly from here, or download the
application via the link presented on this page while we work to resolve
this issue for you. You can also download the application via the
Android Market.

Upvote 0
I would stop contacting Yahoo it is not their problem.

Ok, before we blame Yahoo lets look at the pattern here. I personally think this is an HTC Sense and HTC app issue. I have a Droid Inc. and use K9 for my email. My email works fine. Yesterday a friend with a Droid Inc. suddenly had her Yahoo email stop working she uses the standard HTC app. I did all the diagnostics, battery pull, changed her email settings from the standard settings built in with Android to the ones my K9 uses and the problem persisted. I then setup my Yahoo mail using the HTC Sense app and had no problems. So I went to the forums and this is the pattern I am seeing.

1. The forum posts from this week with this issue appear to be mostly isolated to HTC phones esp Verizon and Sprint and a few from Tmobile. This makes sense as Verizon and Sprint have most of the HTC Android phones on the market.

2. The problem is intermittent it is isolated to certain accounts. Some people have 2 accounts and 1 works. So I doubt it is related to Yahoo forcing you to use there terrible memory hog of an app.

3. There have been rumors of Yahoo doing some server work recently. That would make sense why some phones work and others don't. Maybe some accounts were moved or on other servers.

4. Not heard anything about the Motorola Phones or the Samsung phones from the past 3 days which is when this started.

Based on the pattern I think the problem is related to a bug in the HTC sense email app and possibly the combination of some underlying yahoo imap pointer settings for an isolated group of servers that HTC is missing or maybe had hard coded. It just does not make sense that this issue appears to only be impacting HTC phones with sense and those having the issue can get K9 email up and running fine. If I were to see an influx of posts from those with Moto Droids and Dorid X's, Samsung and LG I would be more inclined to blame Yahoo but that simply does not seem to be the pattern.

My main problem is that no one owns the issue. Bugs happen but as is always the case with customer support everyone wants to point fingers. Why doesn't Verizon just come out and say this is the issue and we are working with Yahoo and our Manufacturers to address it? They are all concerned about their reputation if they admit an issue or own the issue and they are concerned about their Vendor relationships if they say its and HTC issue and we are working with them.

Finally I highly doubt Yahoo is looking to steer people away from third party apps to promote their app. That does not make sense. I am not a gmail fan but they are more concerned about losing users to gmail then they are about trying to sell the pop3 service or drive people to the app. At the end of the day its about ad sales and the number of users and hits. The last thing Yahoo wants to do is drive people away from there site. This issue was a big deal when Android first came out and I think it was more directly related to Google focusing on Gmail then Yahoo. They addressed that although not as well as Apple as we still have to poll Yahoo and waste battery.

Either way I hope they fix it for everyone soon. However, I still love K9 without the standard android yahoo email setttings. Takes some getting used to but I am sticking with it.

Upvote 0
If it is a bug in the HTC mail app then it had to occur because of a change on Verizon's or Yahoo's end. I have a Incredible 2 which is a month old. No software updates, bone stock and had been working with Yahoo on the stock HTC mail app since day 1. No changes were made on the phone.

Someone F'd up big time. They know what the problem is and just don't want to admit it. My wife has an iPhone 4 on Verizon and as of last night her Yahoo email was working fine on it.

Upvote 0
Mine seems like it stopped about 3 days ago. I deleted the account and started over by creating the account again. still didnt work. I then remembered that my phone updated its self the day before, I am curious if this had anything to do with it.

One good thing has came from it, I now found these forums. So I guess it will give me the chance to get to learn alot more about android stuff. Thanks guys, and if anyone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones