• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Yahoo! Messenger Video Chat for EVO

^^^^ that makes sense though since you would want to know when someone is calling you to video chat no?

i dont think thats a bug per se...

Yes more of an issue for me.

I don't usually have background data on.. Neither qik or tango requires back ground data to be turned on.. So I thought it was a bit odd, I got a yahoo message pop up asking to turn on back ground data..

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Its OK. It seems to not use my entire camera when chatting from PC so I have to move to the left to be seen on the phone and it crops to a wide landscape so the picture on the phone is only using about half of the screen. And of course its not compatible with the potentiometer so if you rotate the phone they get your video on its side.

But I guess its the best phone-2-pc option out there. I really wish Google would get on this one. They could one-up apple on the latest "me too" feature.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I honestly can't stand the fact that there are multiple IM clients out there, for both Win and OS X, yet none of them fulfill every need we have in just one of them alone, on a cross platform basis.

Yahoo Messenger. Who really uses it anymore ? Most people, outside of the U.S. use MSN Messenger, and outside of that, Skype, I believe. Mac People use iChat or Adium. I use Adium mostly, unless someone wants to video chat, which in that case, it's either iChat or Skype.

But why can't there just be one solid IM service which caters to both sides of the fence, and which everybody in the world actually uses? IMO, that would be Skype, but the Skype client stinks, and Fring I've found, is no better. Neither is Nimbuzz right now, for that matter. I used Nimbuzz in Europe, and it seemed fairly good, but back here in the states, it's crapville.

I'd give Yahoo a shot, but then I'd have to tell my iPhone toting friends to download it. I'd also have to tell friends and family to get the client for their PC's yada yada etc.. Sure, it wouldn't be the end of the world in MY opinion, but you know how some people are: "Oh no... I have everything the way I want it, and don't want to have to learn to use another program etc.. "

And did someone say before that this won't work with Yahoo clients on OS X? Because I know that video does work with Yahoo messenger on OS X in general.

Doug

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
for some reason I cannot call from my evo to a PC I have updated the software on both ends and uninstalled and reinstalled on both ends . . anyone have an idea or heard of any issues and I am on wifi . . .

**the only thing that works is if on 3g (wifi being off) I call the other party or my other account and they can see and hear me but I can see them . .

otherwise what is happening is whether I call from the evo or the pc it just rings and rings and then hangs up like the other account isnt sign in . .

Upvote 0
Video quality with YM video chat is top notch for me using phone-PC. Fring w/Skype was completely awful for picture quality, and the audio was even worse (terrible echoing and looping regardless of distance, IF it'd even connect once out of 10 tries). I've used YM on 3G from my workplace to chat with my wife and daughter at home and it was flawless. I can't see Google or Skype having much more to offer in the quality dept over this YM video chat, unless they make their app less resource-intensive or at least have an "exit" option, or possibly HD but i don't see that being less resource-instensive. YM FTW for me anyways...

Upvote 0
Evo on WiFi to a PC, the video quality was good. Not bad, and not as crystal clear as the iPhone and Evo commercials would have you believe, but acceptable. I haven't tried it on 3G yet, I suppose video quality would obviously degrade at that point to keep sync, but I'll give it a shot, since that's more of a real-world usage for me.

Upvote 0
People just need to find where most of "their" contacts are and use that even though it might not be the best.

I only know 1 person on Yahoo, a handful with AIM and a couple handfuls using Tango for video chat and PingChat for IM type things.

So for my circle, I use Tango and Ping mostly and it does the job. I might even remove the AIM and Yahoo IM apps soon and just going to tell people I am using X and if you want to video or IM that is where I am.

Upvote 0
I am installing this now. I wonder what Yahoo has in mind for the future of this app because in the very first post of this thread, the screen shot shows "What's new?" and list a couple of things. When I go to download it now, it says: Free Video Calls (Beta) and a few other things. Just makes me wonder if there will be a charge in the future.

Upvote 0
I used mine to chat with my dad accross town when he had his surgery. It was really laggy and choppy on top notch 3g coverage, so i connected to wifi and it was alot better, but then it just started to bog down and my phone just heated up really bad so i had to stop. But i still do it every now and then for a few minutes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones