• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

yakjuxw received jelly bean yet? how long should i wait?

The Naf

Sep 24, 2012
Hi all,

I read on a couple of other forums that the jelly bean update is out for the particular build in question (I.e. yakjuxw). Just curious as to how many people with this particular build have and haven't received the update yet? I haven't thus far :-( even tried forcing an update by clearing Google services framework data but no luck :-( do i just need to be patient or should I have received the update by now...and no not interested in flashing to yakju at this time...

Non Yakju and Takju builds are all dependent on the Carrier. There will be some people with Yakjuxw who got an update and some without. It all depends on who your carrier is and when they decide to push the update. If you want the update you can flash your phone to yakju fairly easily so that you will always get the update immediately from Google. There are plenty of instructions here.

THIS IS ONLY FOR GSM DEVICES. SPRINT AND VERIZON CDMA/LTE DEVICES RUN A DIFFERENT BUILD AND YAKJU IS NOT COMPATIBLE.

For GSM owners: To see what build you have, go to maps > menu > about. There are many versions (yakjuxw, yakjuux, yakjusc, yakjuzs, yakjudv, yakjukr and yakjujp).

To flash, go here

But you must UNLOCK your phone to flash it, and this will WIPE your device.

Reactions: The Naf
Upvote 0
I thought that the only difference between the yakju and the others were that one recieved updates directly from google and the other from Samsung (at their own leisure). Didn' realise that the Samsung controlled devices were also subject to carrier waiting periods...sigh what a pain...not keen on flashing yet though...if i dont get jelly bean by oct end then may consider...

Upvote 0
What about those people with unlocked models? My phone (yakjuxw) isn't tied to a carrier at all - I bought it outright, from a supplier that ships European stock into Australia. I suspect it was probably intended for the French market, given the manual that came with it.

Who does the release in this case? I really don't want to flash mine, either...

Upvote 0
What about those people with unlocked models? My phone (yakjuxw) isn't tied to a carrier at all - I bought it outright, from a supplier that ships European stock into Australia. I suspect it was probably intended for the French market, given the manual that came with it.

Who does the release in this case? I really don't want to flash mine, either...

Its possible that since you bought it wholesale it was intended to be sold through a carrier and that carrier would be expected to push updates. If you don't have it at this point, you may have no choice but to flash the google build.

Reactions: paul88888
Upvote 0
I bought mine from similar type of supplier (if not the same) and finally decided to flash to the Takju build after getting tired of waiting for the update. I'm a real newbie and have absolutely no programming knowledge what so ever and can tell you that the link given out earlier provides an easy, step by step, semi-automated process to follow which should enable you to flash to either the Takju or Yakju build...

Moving on... the backup I created didn't completely restore all my apps (maybe i didnt do it correctly...) anyway so just wondering if apps & data are erased in an ordinary OTA update? (for future reference...)

Upvote 0
I bought mine from similar type of supplier (if not the same) and finally decided to flash to the Takju build after getting tired of waiting for the update. I'm a real newbie and have absolutely no programming knowledge what so ever and can tell you that the link given out earlier provides an easy, step by step, semi-automated process to follow which should enable you to flash to either the Takju or Yakju build...

Moving on... the backup I created didn't completely restore all my apps (maybe i didnt do it correctly...) anyway so just wondering if apps & data are erased in an ordinary OTA update? (for future reference...)

No, in a standard update, OTA or sideloaded, apps and data are normally untouched.

Reactions: The Naf
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones