• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Y'all be kind ok? New here and ready to learn...

So, I just switched to T-Mo from Verizon about two weeks ago. I had Android on Verizon and loved it so I went with it from T-mo too. I just read though that T-Mo doesn't allow tethering (i was using easytether with great results while on Verizon) and that they have special programs to detect whether or not you are tethering. My question(s)... is tethering the same thing as rooting? How do you configure your computer to use the same user string as your phone (this is what easytether suggests but I CANNOT find any instructions)? Is there some other way to avoid T-Mo seeing that I am tethering? I'm learning, but at this point not very technologically inclined. I don't want to do something wrong and completely jack both my phone AND laptop...that would suck!

Sorry if this is the wrong forum...if so perhaps you can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Amy

Rooting and tethering are no where near close to the same thing. I'll start off with tethering. I just got my 4G yesterday (came from Droid X on Verizon) and there is an app pre installed on your phone called "WiFi Hotspot." That is your tethering app. There is no need to root or install anything extra to get free wireless tethering on your MyTouch 4G. Basically the app turns your phone into a wireless router using your phones cellular internet.

Rooting is basically removing the restrictions and allowing you to access system files. This will allow you to use some other apps that require root access, allow custom ROMs (haven't found any yet for this phone) and allow more overall customization.

Upvote 0
Rooting and tethering are no where near close to the same thing. I'll start off with tethering. I just got my 4G yesterday (came from Droid X on Verizon) and there is an app pre installed on your phone called "WiFi Hotspot." That is your tethering app. There is no need to root or install anything extra to get free wireless tethering on your MyTouch 4G. Basically the app turns your phone into a wireless router using your phones cellular internet.

Rooting is basically removing the restrictions and allowing you to access system files. This will allow you to use some other apps that require root access, allow custom ROMs (haven't found any yet for this phone) and allow more overall customization.

I thought you had to pay for tethering?

Upvote 0
my friend.. is looking to go from a dumb phone ..
to MT4G so that she can wifi tether for her laptop.

so.. is it true.. it is free on this phone on tmobile?????

please can anyone confirm this?

As far as I know it is free. I have been tethering and never accepted any extra charges when I started up the app or signed up for any kind of tethering. I have not heard of anyone being charged for it yet.

Upvote 0
As far as I know it is free. I have been tethering and never accepted any extra charges when I started up the app or signed up for any kind of tethering. I have not heard of anyone being charged for it yet.

i am not saying you are wrong...

but you are only guessing till you get a bill...
I would like to get it black and white, has anyone confirmed this?

Upvote 0
I'm curious as well about cost for my girlfriends sake...she just got the phone and said that the rep told her that the hotspot tethering cost $15/mo but I don't see this because like it was posted earlier in the thread, you don't have to accept any extra charges to do this...I will call T-Mobile and verify to clear all this up and repost!

Upvote 0
OK...Just got off the phone with an idiot rep (whats new). He said that it DOES cost $14.99/mo for tethering. He said that some phone it may let you tether without having previously set up the tethering feature and some phones won't. I assume this is just because the phone is pretty new and they havn't worked all the kinks out yet. He said that people should call atleast 1 day prior to their first bill to make sure that no additional charges have been applied for tethering. Wish I could explain it better but that's what the idiot told me. :)

Upvote 0
Here's my Quadrant test results Iced Glacier Oc 1.4ghz

Attachments

• quadrant.jpg
    quadrant.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones