1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

y'all gonna love this....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by johnlgalt, Dec 23, 2011.

1. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

I just reverted my phone from 5.7.893 to 5.5.886 fully stock to apply the 5.5.893 update.

I'm exhausted though - writeup tomorrow. I still gotta apply 901 and then get safe strap installed and get ICS running too

AurJohn, thetingster and RDKamikaze like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. thetingster

thetingster Android Enthusiast

Great work!

3. johnlgalt

I just followed instructions - tried 3 different ways, and a very obscure one finally worked.

I was more guinea pig than anything lol - but hey, I put my device on the line so we can appease those who applied the update(s) and want to revert.

AurJohn likes this.
  4. johnlgalt

Here is the proof of my phone:

5.5.893 1.jpg

5.5.893 2.jpg

I'm now applying the 5.9.901 update.

And if I can reproduce the reversion to stock using this as well, then guess what? I can participate in soak tests! :D

thetingster likes this.
  5. johnlgalt

And now I am on 5.9.901 :D

5.9.901 1.jpg

5.9.901 2.jpg

thetingster likes this.
  6. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member

Nice work John! thanks for being the guinea pig. I see the kernels and radio for 5.9.901 are different from my 5.8.894. Did they change again with the newest update?

7. goldz28

goldz28 Android Enthusiast

That's awesome

8. RDKamikaze

RDKamikaze Android Enthusiast

Do you have a donate button? :) If not, put one in your tut!

johnlgalt likes this.
  9. wichita6

wichita6 Well-Known Member

You are right...I gonna love it!
    Bravo !

10. johnlgalt

That is the latest update thus far, that we've found - but yeah, it is definitely different.

However, if my theory holds true, then from here on out we should have a nearly flawless system of reverting any time we want.

The key is going to be:

1) remember what customizations you've applied - for example another user in the other thread at RW is still stuck after applying the update. He had issues with WebTop and with zumocast missing, neither of which I had done.

moral of the story - don't delete your apps - the updates check for them, seemingly randomly, but actually because the updates contain patches to / replacements for the existing stock updates.

11. wichita6

wichita6 Well-Known Member

Thats why I have all of Ver's bloat at 300 degrees below zero but not uninstalled :) you never know when you may "need" to revert.

12. mbtech

mbtech Newbie

Do tell. Thousand of Bionic users including myself will be extremely grateful.

I have everything up at 5.5.893 except the radio. I do have a radio.zip flash to goto the stock radio.( CDMA_N_03.1C.50R ltedc_u_05.15.00) one now needs to be made to get to this radio CDMA_N_03.1C.57Rltedc_u_05.15.01. Once someone makes that zip we should be back on the update path and can apply the newest update.

13. fyrmd

fyrmd Member

What is the advantage of going back and starting over, rather then just continuing on from 5.7.893?

14. thetingster

The biggest reason is that by all appearances 5.7.893 is off the update path and there is a newer update that cannot be obtained from 5.7.893. So if one wants the latest fixes this method John has discovered will allow some of us to now have it.

fyrmd likes this.
  15. johnlgalt

5.5.893, 5.7.893 and 5.8.894 all update from 5.5.886. 5.9.901 (accidental leak this week) updates only from 5.5.893.

IOW, it's supposed (not necessarily factual at this point) that the next update released will load only on 5.5.893. 5.7.893 is already ahead of that, and thus the theory is that 5.7.893 users currently are off the upgrade track, and supposition is that this may be indefinite.

As to what I did - I'll make a post about it in a new thread, so I can keep this one open for discussion without cluttering up the info in that post.

We now have a second methodology as well, and I want to incorporate that into the post - but that post will probably not be until later tonight as I'm about to start packing to go to South Carolina. Plus, I did not actually use that second methodology, so I have to copy and paste from another thread, and I want confirmation that this is actually a working method too before posting it.

WARNING!!! This procedure to revert TO stock in order to apply the update of your choice WILL soft brick your phone. It may become permanent, as one user has figured out - he is unable to flash any of the update files onto his phone, and it locks hard with a boot fail. He's lucky in that he went to the VZW store and they went ahead an initiated a replacement for him even after he told them exactly what he had been doing, including the running of leaked updates. If yours goes hte same way, you may not be as lucky....

IOW, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

Oh, and as an aside - I also have ICS on the phone via safestrap (which makes use of 2init, I believe, or at least something similar) but since I have bounced my phone to 5.9.901 it gets no signal - currently.

YankeeDudeL, fyrmd and mbtech like this.
  16. mbtech

mbtech Newbie

Thanks for the update John

17. realBBB

realBBB Lurker

A solution was found for the couple *perm* bricks. I have heard of zero unsuccessful conversions.

BBB
    Looking for Darkness.

johnlgalt likes this.
  18. johnlgalt

Yup, even the user I referred to earlier has successfully unbricked his phone.

Nice to see you here, BBB, and thanks again for the original dd method to get me started!

realBBB likes this.
  19. realBBB

realBBB Lurker

Thanks for being the FIRST!

BBB
    Awesome Awe.

johnlgalt likes this.
  20. johnlgalt

It's what I do :p

21. thetingster

This is the method I found and used and it worked great.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1931864

johnlgalt likes this.
  22. Bowslayer

Bowslayer Well-Known Member

Thanks for your willingness to sacrifice your phone to help everyone. I want to get back in track also.
    I assume I Have to Root to pull this off?? If so.. Can I "Un— root" later?

23. johnlgalt

Actually, you don't have to root to get this done.

There are a few one-click methods out there as well as a few manual methods, but the majority of the success depends upon what you've actually done to get where you are.

What update are you on, an assuming that you're not rooted, do you want to root at all, or remain rootless?

Motorola Droid Bionic Forum

The Motorola Droid Bionic release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4430 processor, and 1735mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews