• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Yamgo - streaming tv to desire (uk)

CarsnGadgets

Android Expert
May 17, 2010
UK
Just found this last night.

On my iPhone, i used to use catchuptv to view streaming live freeview channels on the phone.

They dont support Android devices.

But www.yamgo.com offer some of the channels on their free service that works fine on my Desire, although I havent tried it on 3G only wifi so far.

Just sign up and watch, the stream is about 30 seconds behind live TV.

Tried it again - just doesn't work. Screen does nothing. Tried pressing submit button, tried pressing return. Nothing works!

Restart the browser or even phone, something might have gone out of sync. I'm using Dolphin browser by the way.

Also do you mean register on the phone on login? If register try registering on a pc

Upvote 0
can you list in order of speed, the letters please?

H(HSDPA) is the fastest,
3G
E(Edge)
G(GPRS) pretty slow compared to 3g and hsdpa

I am having some difficulty with this, as it is only letting me download an m3u8 file, which my phone doesn't know what to do with(in my profile it doesn't recognise that I am using an Android device) are you guys using any specific media player for this to work?

EDIT: realised it was because I had "Mobile View" turned off in the browser settings,. All working now, seems pretty good for a free service, very similar to tvcatchup.com

Upvote 0
like above, maybe you need to be in the mobile version of the site

yamgo.mobi i think...?

is your browser set to not use mobile versions of sites?
Yeah, tried that, on wireless and on H, on mobile view and not mobile view.

Looking at my profile on their site it says that it can't recognise my phone make?

Upvote 0
Been using Yamgo for a couple of weeks. Works perfectly on T-Mobile on virtually all connections. Even had it working on a train just fine. Does everything TV Catchup does but is a lot less well known. Picture quality very good (eg you can read the streaming banner on BBC News24). Much better than Beeb Player live TV. Watched a bit of the Cup Final in a field in Brecon so will be fine for the World Cup.
Just sign in, get it to remember your password and then bookmark it. Not everything needs to be an app!

Upvote 0
Ok folks, sussed why login wasn't, t working on Desire. The text prediction / dictionary remembers some words. It remembered my username. Unfortunately if you select the word, it then adds a space. Login fails with this space. Delete the space and bingo!

So now I'm in, I find that I can 't read the scrolling banners on BBC News. Picture quality pretty awful. Don 't think you could watch footy on this, the ball would be invisible. Anyone else found this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones