1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Yep another noob

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mrc00lbreeze, Feb 14, 2011.

1. mrc00lbreeze

mrc00lbreeze Newbie

Ok used superoneclick to root phone. Seemed to have worked. Do have super user permissions. running froyo 2.2. How ever can't seem to get a nandroid backup to work. When I try it through rom manager is goes to blue screen that says fastboot. I've spent several hours searching for a fix but can't seem to find one with exact problem.

Have had phone about 2 weeks and love my first smart phone. Could some one please help. And speak slowly I'm new at linux. Thanks.

Advertisement

2. dautley

dautley Android Expert

You need to flash Amon Ra or Clockwork Recovery from rom manager. You may have to do it more than once to get it to stick

3. KingOfGreen

KingOfGreen Android Expert

Use rom manager to flash amonras recovery. If that doesnt work try the irc for some wuick help

4. mrc00lbreeze

mrc00lbreeze Newbie

Ok flashed clockwork recovery and said ok. Then clicked back up rom and at least it didn't go to blue screen that said fastboot. Instead it looked like it tried to reboot show a screen with android and triangle with exclimation point for half a second and completed boot. Does that mean it backed up or not? Want to make sure I have a backup before I flash a rom.

Also tried to boot into recovery mode to do a nandroid backup and it won't boot to recovery. just does normal boot. Thanks for the quick reply guys.

5. dautley

dautley Android Expert

the easiest thing to do is get the free version of quick boot from the market and choose recovery, Rom manager wouldn't work for me either. If you still get the fastboot screen with quick boot go back to rom manager and do the clockwork or amon ra recovery again, quit and go back to quick boot. If your thinking about using velocity scroll down and use Flash Alternate Recovery in Rom Manager,that will give you Amon Ra which seems to work much better than clockwork on the Ally for some reason.

6. KingOfGreen

KingOfGreen Android Expert

It seems quite a few people have had trouble getting the recovery to sticl using SOC. Also there is a thread about it under all things root. Maybe consider going through tridents guide to get root and recovery. Its looks intimidating but isnt too bad and the irc channel has plenty of folks there who will help in real time. My general understanding of the SOC method is that its not the best idea though the reason are much too technical for me to explain.

7. Goonie21

Goonie21 Well-Known Member

you have to remove install-recovery.sh for recovery to stick. Although I recommend doing the guide Trident posted a few weeks ago.

8. mrc00lbreeze

mrc00lbreeze Newbie

Thanks everyone for the tips. Daulty, I actually already had quickboot and tried to reboot in recovery just before my first thread and that didn't work either. Tried to take the easy way for root access and looks like I'll have to do the work.

9. mrc00lbreeze

mrc00lbreeze Newbie

Ok goonie i found the install-recovery.sh just delete it? it won't affect anything else?

10. yohobojo

yohobojo Android Enthusiast

Yes

11. yohobojo

yohobojo Android Enthusiast

Trident's guide if you know what youre doing. Took me less than an hour. Its a good experience for people that dont have adb and sdk setup and dont know how to use.