1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Yes, another thread about Emulators

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by iRiaz, May 30, 2011.

1. iRiaz

iRiaz Lurker
    None

May 30, 2011
    My Xperia Play should be arriving on wednesday and I am migrating to android from iOS.
    I'll be missing the jailbreak functions such as Cydia (and Installous) and was wandering, if there is something similar to that on the Android OS?

More to the point, what are the best and where can i get the following emulators; N64, GBA, GBC, SNES?
    I know all about the FPSe and will be getting that. But I have heard that many of the other emulators have been taken down the from market.
    So what are the alternative methods intsalling them? and are they free?

Advertisement

2. Krislawl

Krislawl Newbie
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    Get Snes 9x EX from the market
    Get the other emulators from SlideME | Android Community and Application Marketplace . It's an alternative marketplace with yongzh's taken down emulators. His snesoid isn't as good as the snes 9x ex in the android market

3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!

Jul 7, 2010
    To the OP:

You mentioned Installous which caught my attention. We do not condone nor facilitate piracy here at androidforums.com. Do not post or pm links to pirate sites or software. If someone reports your post, a less kind moderator could choose to give you an infraction instead of being nice like me and just posting a public warning :) Infractions could lead to a ban from the site, FYI. Please see the links in my sig for more info.

Now, to answer some of your questions:

Androids can be rooted (similar to jailbreak, but much more liberating) so that applications can request root-level permissions and perform additional functionality. Google has no problem with rooted devices, so "root-enabled" applications are also on the Market along with regular ol' apps. Therefore, there is no need for an underground third party App Store like Cydia.

Furthermore, Android allows you to download apps from third parties. For example, if I write a game, but I don't offer it on the Market but on my website only, you can visit my website and download the game from there. You need to enable a setting on your phone to do this; by default, Android only allows you to download from the Market.

See this article about why some emulators have vanished recently:
    http://buypoe.com/technology/12812-android-market-gets-rid-video-game-emulators.html

4. iRiaz

iRiaz Lurker
    None

May 30, 2011
    Thanks for replies and oops sorry, my bad won't happen again. :(

I did abit of more research and found out that you can simply download .apk files and install them onto the phone easily?
    Also about 'rooting', you say google has no problem with this, yet on some sites i have visited say that it will void the warranty and I may not be able to update the phone officially.
    Just rather concerned over that.

Otherwise, thanks for the links to the emulators. Just hope N64oid gets released back on to the market soon.

Also: FPSe or PSX4DROID? :D

5. Ncaissie

Ncaissie Well-Known Member
    None

May 9, 2011
    Ottawa Canada
    "yet on some sites i have visited say that it will void the warranty and I may not be able to update the phone officially."

Your warranty comes from Sony and not Google.

novox77 likes this.
  6. novox77

Jul 7, 2010
    Yeah, if you download an apk from somewhere outside the Market, you'll first need to enable that setting that allows you to install 3rd party apps. Then you can install the apk.

Looks like Nesoid, Snesoid, -oid series of emulators were removed from the market not because emulators are illegal, but because the author of said apps used someone else's code and offered it for commercial purposes which violated the license agreement of the original. So Google is not cracking down on emulators. They were simply responding to a complaint that this developer didn't have permission to use the code in the emulators.

7. Ncaissie

None

May 9, 2011
    Ottawa Canada
    I believe unlocking the bootloader is what voids the warranty and not rooting the phone. Correct me if I'm wrong novox77.

8. novox77

Jul 7, 2010
    I can't say with certainty, actually. I would think that even just adding superuser to the phone would be enough to void the warranty, since it opens up the possibility of tethering for free.

9. Ncaissie

None

May 9, 2011
    Ottawa Canada
    Tethering is ok here. I can do it with my iPhone and the play. The 3GS needs to use the USB but with the play I can use wifi.