1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General YES, you need a task killer app for the Eris. PERIOD.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by newsradio, Feb 4, 2010.

1. aleis

aleis Android Expert
    None

Nov 14, 2009
    my point precisely! :)

Advertisement

2. gimpydingo

gimpydingo Newbie
    None

Feb 5, 2010
    This is opinion only! Just some observations :) I've had my Eris for about 3 weeks and love it (even got Doug Benson to sign my phone!. I upgraded from an LG env. When I bought the phone the sales person put ATK onto my phone saying it's a lifesaver. Is it? Is it not?

Of course everyone’s phone is slightly different, running different apps, using for different tasks, etc...

Battery life. I have noticed if I let ATK run the background the battery drains quickly, left it unplugged over night and its dead in the morning. So if I do kill task I make sure to kill ATK with it. Last night made sure ATK was not on, forgot to plugin again and it had 80% battery this morning.

I doubt Google has mastered what no other company has, memory management. Any computer running tons of apps, whether background and active is going to be limited by memory. A PC is going to be able to run a ton of apps before slowing down. But try running Windows 7/OSX on 128 megs of RAM and photoshop, what would happen? Same thing with a smart phone, slow down. I will say I've had instances of slow down, but not to the point that some describe. So why have apps run that you are not using or never use (Footprints I'm looing at you!).

Allot of apps you do not have the option to close; back button exits, but still runs in background. I typically hit menu to see if you can exit, or use back, but doesn't always help. So I kill it!

Another question is killing apps good for the phone? If I'm killing apps I seem to get more frequent force closed apps. Anyone else notice this? In a PC environment killing the app is always the last resort, but again you can exit every app on a PC.

I have done my best to clean up the apps - powered off the phone, back on, launched ATK and viewed what booted with the phone. I went app by app, went through their menus, turned off certain notifications and auto logins - this may have helped my battery.

(not TK related) I installed a TON of apps, ran out of room, uninstalled, reinstalled, playing with the phone of course. I noticed it does not do a good job of cleaning up after itself and noticed more frequent force close of apps/crashes. Turned off and back on, and no problems.

3. Pitamakan

Pitamakan Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 15, 2010
    Bozeman, Montana
    Wow, the amount of troll-feeding here is pretty phenomenal ... even for this place.

4. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    Trolls do get a healthy diet on this forum.

5. newsradio

None

Feb 4, 2010
    Im sorry but we are not here to troll. We are here to explain WHY the Eris lags so much and provide a reasonable solution to alter this.

Im sorry but I have to say it again, and this is a FACT, the Eris LAGS more than normal once it reaches around 30mb of memory. There is no denying this. I have owned an Eris since it was released and two of my friends each have one. They are all the same with the same lag.

All of us found that task killer apps DO resolve the lag created by lack of memory. The solution was simple. Dont let your eris reach = or > 30mb. With task killer apps running we dont have to worry about our apps that we use not having enough memory to run smoothly and we dont have to worry about manually closing apps all the time.

I dont know why ~30mb is the "magic number" it just IS.

Task killer apps are a win-win situation. I have not noticed any significant battery life drain due to running task killer apps.

6. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Still no links to data, only anecdotal reports, Newsradio.

My anecdotal report is that I need no such application as you advocate. There are many other such reports.

So I guess we all cancel each other out. Might as well move on to other issues. :D

lol, etc...

7. gimpydingo

gimpydingo Newbie
    None

Feb 5, 2010
    Newsradio so do you let the task killer run the background all the time? I was saying if I let ATK run in the background and pull down the notifcation menu to end tasks regularly (ususally kill tasks on my weekly or soo reboot, then once at end of day if I remember) I notice the battery drains, so I make sure to kill the ATK along with other non essencial apps.

8. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Jan 7, 2010
    That's not a fact - that is your opinion. It is a fact when you run tests and measure the times that it takes to do specific tasks over a number of trials both with and without a task killer on. Until then, you are just giving what you think.

Jeepers, time to ignore this thread, I guess. I wonder how long it will take to reach Godwin's Law?

9. bcltoys

bcltoys Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Male
    Marine tech
    Maryland
  10. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Android Expert
    None

Nov 30, 2009
    T-Mobile
    NJ
    i 2nd this. After hours of research i find that this is the most accurate post in accordance with Task Killers and their "need for the Eris"

11. gimpydingo

gimpydingo Newbie
    None

Feb 5, 2010
    Be nice to have some true data, if I don't need it great, if it works great! Really I just want OS 2.0 and multi touch for games/emulators - can we agree on that at least?

12. aleis

aleis Android Expert
    None

Nov 14, 2009
    if u gonna have a task manager...use advanced task manager :)
    cause i mean, you can set it to kill apps without doing it yourself.
    you can shake to kill apps or...you can hit a kill switch.
    just my opinion :)

13. aleis

aleis Android Expert
    None

Nov 14, 2009
    pick it apart!

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/tlk/mm/memory.html

im not saying my research is THE end all be all but....

14. ekyle

ekyle Android Expert
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Central NY
    I'm denying it. Mine doesn't. My friends' don't either.:D

15. AwesomeIT

AwesomeIT Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    IT Coordinator
    Pa
    Can't we just go back to asking when 2.x comes out?

16. OfTheDamned

None

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    Really? Three whole people? Well, I take it all back then. My goodness, it must be a fact if you and 2 other people have seen it.

Of course, by your logic, I have 2 other friends and we are all girls, so you must be too. Right? Also, more than 3 people have claimed to see bigfoot and the Loc Ness monster, so they must both be real too.

I never realized that it only required 3 people in a closed environment to turn a theory into hard facts. Silly me. I am truly enlightened.:rolleyes:

17. pkopalek

pkopalek Android Expert
    None

Dec 19, 2009
    Computer Technician / Systems Implementation Manag
    Buffalo, NY
    In the spirit of the method which arguments are being made here, let me dispel your argument, right now.

[sarcasm]It's spelled Loch Ness, not Loc Ness. So clearly, you are wrong, and he is right! Obviously! That's the proof for the need for a task killer. Done![/sarcasm]

lol

Clearly, some people have better use for a Task Killer than others. I have great uses for them, with the way I use my phone.

OfTheDamned does not.

Not everyone uses the apps I use, but not everyone uses the same apps/configurations as OfTheDamned. Like any utility/system tool (as someone mentioned already), some people need/want/like and have it, and some people don't need/dislike/don't have much use for, and don't have it. It's not that big of a deal.

18. OfTheDamned

None

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    LMAO!

I think we agree on this. It really is a "to each their own" situation. Declaring that someone else NEEDS to have something or CAN'T have something on their phone is just silly.

It is your phone, do with it what you will.

19. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Android Expert
    None

My controlled experiment is me using my Eris everyday. No task killer, great battery, and very little lag. The lag I experience usually only occurs after a missed call.

Very scientific and accurate.

Viva la Eris!

20. gmjlopez

gmjlopez Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    G-town, CT
    I am new to the Android OS. Been using it since Jan. I currently have a G1 and my friend has an Eris. I use TaskPanel on my G1 when it starts to lag. The lagging I get on the G1 is on incoming calls the display can take 5-10 seconds to show who is calling and with scrolling through menus and such.
    I started messing around for the first time on her Eris yesterday. I noticed that it lagged a lot when the keypad pops up and flipping through menus and such. I checked her download history on the Market and she only had 2 apps installed. She doesn't really dwell to much into the market, just got the phone cause it looked cool. I asked if it is always slow like this and she says yes and that's why she hates the phone. I installed TaskPanel and ran it to shutdown all the apps running in the background. I gave the phone to her and she was impressed on how much it improved the Eris. She went from having 28mb free memory to 70mb.
    Its weird to me that there is no correct way to shut down apps on the Android OS. I recently switched from RIM OS and each app had an exit or quit option in the menu to fully shut it down. From reading this thread I realize that its not do to the Android OS but the developers fault for not putting in the code to shut down an app you won't be using for a while and leaving it running in the background.
    I definitely like the Android OS. Very different from RIM's OS. Still think it needs more tweaks to it, but I see lots of forward progress happening.

21. Pitamakan

None

Jan 15, 2010
    Bozeman, Montana
    You know, in the event that you're running a badly-designed app that has a memory leak, the smart thing to do is simply to figure out which app it is and get rid of it.

And if you get some other rare glitch that ends up slowing the phone down, it's a good idea to restart the device -- task killer or not. (After all, since most of you guys run Windows on your PCs, you're probably already very familiar with the need to reboot! :p)

22. RC Addict

RC Addict Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Truck Driving Madman
    El Paso, TX
    Is it just me or is anyone else really curious about what OTD really looks like???

23. jamezelle

jamezelle Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 3, 2010
    Newton Falls, OH

[​IMG]

LMAO

JUST KIDDING OTD :p:D

24. Pitamakan

None

Jan 15, 2010
    Bozeman, Montana
    One of the great joys of the internet is that none of us really knows what anyone else looks like. For all we know, OTD could be a pimply 15-year-old boy who can't get a date ... but it doesn't really matter. :)

25. Caddyman

Caddyman Android Expert
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Mechanical Piping Designer
    Delaware
    my pic is in my profile.