• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Yet another battery life thread: sharing NEW finding

syhead

Lurker
Feb 14, 2011
I have been reading this forum for some time now and decided to register to share something I found out.

I have followed most of the battery saving tips I could find in this forum. I can get fairly good battery life. But I have alway been angry about the amount of juice spend in idle.

I have all the radios OFF, except for the main Phone function. I only power bluetooth, gps and wifi on when they are needed.

I have also turned off automatic sync. Here's the problem: I THOUGH that automatic sync was off. Actualy it wasn't because of the following widget in the bottom of this screen:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn162/twynn373/6.png

Everytime you push sync ON and then push it OFF, autosync remains ON.
It's definitely a bug in that widget.

For the first time since I had this phone, it has a full bar after a whole day being not used (a Sunday staying home).

I suggest this tip/bug report is added to those nice threads that put together all the battery saving tips.

are you on 2.1 or 2.2
when i used it it used to enable background data and autosync but leave background data on and autosync off when you click off

I'm using 2.2

exactly! The widget leaves background data on. I mentioned autosync by mistake.
Background data seems to have a big impact on my battery life.

settings >> accounts & sync >> Background data ON

Upvote 0
if this widget turns background data ON, it should also turn it off
well it doesnt and never has done since 1.6

when you manually turn background data off it gives a warning. im guessing thats why the widget doesnt do it.

the widget is for sync not for background data, auto sync needs background data to work so it turns it on however it doesnt need background data to be off to turn it off

Upvote 0
well it doesnt and never has done since 1.6

when you manually turn background data off it gives a warning. im guessing thats why the widget doesnt do it.

the widget is for sync not for background data, auto sync needs background data to work so it turns it on however it doesnt need background data to be off to turn it off

I understood what you mean now.

If I turn the radios and autosync OFF, background data is not required and should be off too. Therefore, that's bad software design (not sure if that's an Android problem or HTC Sense problem).

Turning background data off make a huge difference. I prefer to have it off and save battery. I turn it on only when I want to check email etc. It takes just a few seconds to start. I'm on my third day now without recharging. Battery is on 85% (light use). It's better than my old Nokia N95, which if incredible. If background data were on and considering the same amount of usage, I would have had to recharge the HTC it already.

I have a feeling that a good number of people having battery issues could be partially because of background data.

Upvote 0
I understood what you mean now.

If I turn the radios and autosync OFF, background data is not required and should be off too. Therefore, that's bad software design (not sure if that's an Android problem or HTC Sense problem).

Turning background data off make a huge difference. I prefer to have it off and save battery. I turn it on only when I want to check email etc. It takes just a few seconds to start. I'm on my third day now without recharging. Battery is on 85% (light use). It's better than my old Nokia N95, which if incredible. If background data were on and considering the same amount of usage, I would have had to recharge the HTC it already.

I have a feeling that a good number of people having battery issues could be partially because of background data.

actually the market needs it and some other apps
try getting into the market with it off
thats why it leaves it on i would imagine as all youve done is turned off sync, you havent told it you dont require it for any other app

this is not a background data toggle its a sync toggle

i do agree it saves a bit of battery though

Upvote 0
I have all the radios OFF, except for the main Phone function. I only power bluetooth, gps and wifi on when they are needed. I have also turned off automatic sync. For the first time since I had this phone, it has a full bar after a whole day being not used (a Sunday staying home).
I don't use that widget, and I leave background data and autosync on all the time. Yet when idle my phone only uses about 3-4% battery when I'm sleeping. I don't have email or twitter or facebook syncing though, instead those apps sync when I use them because I'm not addicted to those sites and I can't read email when I'm sleeping, and when working I'm too busy to check constantly as well. So my battery life is better because I don't have all those apps doing background updates. However, even when I did have email and twitter going in the background, I still only lost about 1% per hour.

Note that tower proximity and signal stength greatly affects battery life since the RF unit in the phone must work harder to maintain a connection when the signal is weaker. At work I get 2-3 bars, and at home I have all 4 bars.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones