• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Yet another new phone

Rgarner

Android Expert
May 9, 2017
I let somebody borrow my Moto G Stylus and now it is doing the Android in need of surgery thing. Therefore I am at least temporarily using a different, brand new, MGS. The crazy device is built differently from the other one and I can't find the normal three things at the bottom, especially the go back part. It's drive by me nuts. I was thinking maybe it was some of that new gesture stupidity but maybe not.

Reactions: puppykickr
Thanks, I actually managed to figure that out before you mentioned it. At least that's fixed. What's up with the other phone? It's done that before, and made a comeback, but I'm not sure how. For the moment it's charging, I guess, which is better than it was earlier. Then it was green, brick red, green, brick red... now it's all green every time I look.

Upvote 0
Not sure if you mean the charging screen battery icon is changing colour. If so, I had a similar problem on a Nokia last year where I had to manoeuvre the cable in the USB C port until it charged correctly. It turned out that model was known for warping inside the charging port and they replaced that and a few other internals free of charge when I could bare to psrt with it (hence buying a cheap but excellent Moto E6 while my Nokia was off on a jolly to Hungary for repair).

Let us know if its something like that. Do you still have it? Hard to follow you :)

Reactions: ocnbrze and Rgarner
Upvote 0
Not sure if you mean the charging screen battery icon is changing colour. If so, I had a similar problem on a Nokia last year where I had to manoeuvre the cable in the USB C port until it charged correctly. It turned out that model was known for warping inside the charging port and they replaced that and a few other internals free of charge when I could bare to psrt with it (hence buying a cheap but excellent Moto E6 while my Nokia was off on a jolly to Hungary for repair).

Let us know if its something like that. Do you still have it? Hard to follow you :)

You like the e6?
I was just looking at it the other day.

It can be had for cheap, yet has adequate specs, excellent even, for the money.

Upvote 0
@puppykickr
The thing is: I'm in the UK and I got the Moto E6 Plus around August time, reduced to only £79.
I learned that's not the one in the US, which is the Moto E6S, although that's been around here too I think. The E6S has different software features (from a YT how to / review) but all I can say is my E6 Plus is just fabulous. Light, buttery smooth when you slide over the glass, 720p screen is really great and performance is more than acceptable even on my 2/32 version.

I now still have my Nokia 7 Plus after it came back, then bought an Xiaomi Mi 10 lite 5g for £194 (amoled 765G) and then a Poco F2 Pro (£295 sale from 569) with an Amoled SD865 8/256 UFS 3.1 ; so the Poco has become my daily even though its a tad heavy, so I've been neglecting 3 phones I don't need - but after owning Galaxy S / Notes then Moto G 2013 and G4..... anyway if I hadn't got part time work last summer I would be very happy with just the Moto E6 Plus.

Conpare the specs to the E6S on GSMArena, I can't remember, but £79 reduced for this E6 Plus was the best ever buy for me.
There are E7 models now but I like the weight, balance and feel of this E6 Plus and still getting monthly patches on Android 9 which is fine.

TL Dr I know right? :)

Upvote 0
I can get the e6 unlocked version for about $150, and a pre-paid carrier version for $40.

I was thinking about the $40 one, because the specs (except for GSM capable option) are the same.

As I would only be using the device on Wi-Fi, the carrier is pretty much inconsequential for that.

The device has 2/16 GB internal, and can take a 256 GB SD card.

Not bad, for the money.

Upvote 0
I can get the e6 unlocked version for about $150, and a pre-paid carrier version for $40.

I was thinking about the $40 one, because the specs (except for GSM capable option) are the same.

As I would only be using the device on Wi-Fi, the carrier is pretty much inconsequential for that.

The device has 2/16 GB internal, and can take a 256 GB SD card.

Not bad, for the money.

Definitely worth it for that. There's only minor differences between the S and Plus with weight, GPS and camera in the Plus's favour, but the S is newer and had surprising extra features iirc.

Bear in mind there's no Compass sensor but that's generally only annoying initially when setting off in that it doesn't know where to point, again iirc, but maybe can mislead you. I delivered ex lease and rental cars without a compass sensor and it was fine. You'll know more than I (< proper grammar! :))

Great wraparound removable back cover on mine with a terrific "condom" case. They're almost identically sized.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I sure hope it's safe to extract the sd from the old Moto G. It's still "undergoing surgery", apparently. Obviously I'll have to unplug the phone. Is there anything else I should do first? Other than charging it seems pretty unresponsive.

I can't advise on the screen issue, you may have put shots on another thread. I don't know much anyway, just know what I use ;)

Upvote 0
I don't know what's going on but this will be the third time I've posted these pictures. They are a little blurry but they show the general idea. They were taken by the new Moto G Stylus and show that the old one is apparently in some kind of recovery or safety mode. I can't get it to quit that. The old one was plugged in overnight and hasn't stopped "glowing". How do/can I fix it?
IMG_20210421_164249725_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210421_164249725_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210421_164243758_HDR.jpg

Upvote 0
That seems to be fastboot mode rather than recovery. Can you select any options (e.g. those up/down arrow symbols suggest that maybe the volume keys will do something)?

Ending up in fastboot mode could mean that the system software is really screwed-up. It could of course also mean that you have a stuck key (I don't know what key combination you use to boot this model into fastboot mode, but I've seen HTCs get into this state when one of the volume keys is stuck - when you start the phone it thinks you are telling it to boot into fastboot mode because you appear to be pressing that key when it starts).

Upvote 0
EDIT : What He Said as I wrote ^ :) but the link below will give you an idea. I can Screenshot it all if you like.
=========

I don't know why someone got it there (and I've never flashed or did anything unusual that I could get arrested for from recovery mode) -
or if you tried to go back to the Recovery Mode menu and just either Reboot as it was, or Factory Wipe / Reset

Generally after using two buttons together while off you get to a recovery mode screen similar to that but with several options that you choose with the volume up / down buttons and Select / Go ahead with the Power button.

I think you are currently in one of those selections that you don't want and need to go back to the Recovery Mode list to select Factory Wipe or just Reboot / Start.

https://support.motorola.com/us/en/solution/MS148847
You want the External Reset section ^

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Ok, I don't want to go that far. I have plenty of data I do want to recover and of course no computer. The volume keys (I think) are on the right above the power key but they are STUCK. I cannot depress them, though they can certainly depress me. Would some of that wondrous contact cleaner do the trick?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones