1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Yet Another OTG Question

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by MikeRivers, Sep 19, 2016.

1. MikeRivers

MikeRivers Newbie
    None

Nov 9, 2014
    I know that data is bi-directional, but is the cable itself bi-directional? In other words, does it matter which end I connect to the phone and which end to the device I want to connect? I have occasional short periods where I can play with a friend's phone, an LG 5G, which claims to support OTG. I want to connect a USB microphone to it.

The phone has a USB-C female connector. The microphone has a micro-USB female connector. My short OTG adapter-cable has a male micro-USB connector on one end and a female USB-A connector on the other. The only USB-C male plug in the house is on the "charging/USB" cable supplied with the LG phone. The other end, as conventional for a "charging" cable, is a USB-A male.

Normally, I'd plug the micro-USB plug on the OTG cable into a phone, and the device into the female USB-A connector on the other end. To make things plug together, what I'd be doing here is connecting the USB-A end of the OTG adapter to the phone via the charging cable, then connecting the micro-USB plug on the other end of the OTG adapter to the microphone.

Will this work? Or is there some termination trick on one end of the OTG adapter (I assume they're all the same other than for ruggedness and length) that tells the phone to turn on OTG, that the phone wouldn't see if I connected the other end of the OTG adapter to the phone?

Of course I'd try it, but if it doesn't work, I'd like to know why.

Phone [USB-C/f] - [USB-Cm]--charging cable--[USB-A/m]--[USB-A/f]-OTG Adapter-[Micro-USB/m]--[Micro USB/f]-Microphone

Advertisement

#1 MikeRivers, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  2. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    I'm not thinking that is going to work, plus it may damage your phone

3. MikeRivers

MikeRivers Newbie
    None

Nov 9, 2014
    I can accept your notion that it won't work. Are you thinking that the fifth pin of the micro-USB plug might not be carried back to the phone? But what's your thinking about it damaging the phone? Are you thinking that perhaps the fifth pin might get carried back to the phone and short a power pin to ground?

I haven't looked at how the USB-C connector is wired. I found an OTG adapter for USB-C on line though who knows if it's correct of not. There were some "dangerous" micro-USB OTG adapters early on.

By the way, the microphone I'm using for testing, an IK Multimedia iRig HD-A, is supplied with an OTG cable that has a micro-USB connector of the same gender on both ends. There's no designation as to which end must connect to the mic, and, having tested it, it appears to work either way. Likely the fifth pin isn't connected inside the mic and its USB controller is hard-wired to initially be a client and never initially a host.

#3 MikeRivers, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016