1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Yet another question about using external sdcard

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thecdn, Dec 30, 2011.

1. thecdn

thecdn Well-Known Member

I'm trying to use an 8gb sandisk microsd with my esteem. I reformatted the card to fat32 and inserted it into the slot. It doesn't seem to be recognized at all. I've got root explorer and can't find it anywhere. The only 'sdcard' shown is the 4gb internal one.

When I look under SD card & phone storage settings under SD card I see:

Total Space - 0.98gb
    Available space - 682mb
    Unmount External SD card
    Format External SD card (greyed out)

Is the External SD card referenced above my 8gb physical sdcard? If so if I unmount/format it in the phone would that make it seen/usable to the card?

I have a rooted nook color with cm7 on it so I'm familiar with some of the terms but this is my first smart phone. It is rooted and I've put cwm on it. I'm sure there is something simple I'm missing to get the sdcard usable on this phone.

Thanks for any ideas/help.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ShinySide

ShinySide Extreme Android User

Yeah thats your sd card you put in. You should of just put it in the phone and let the phone format it. Delete that fat32 put it back in the phone and let the phone format it.

3. thecdn

thecdn Well-Known Member

Well, that was interesting :) After formatting the external sdcard I found that it had deleted all the files on the 4gb 'internal sdcard'. Luckily it was easy to get the files/download the apps again to get back to where I was before.

After dragging some files to the 8gb card via windows explorer and then searching for them using root explorer I found the sdcard at /mnt/sdcard/_ExternalSD

I take it this is just a dumb storage box on this phone? App2sd still points to the 4gb 'internal sdcard' as the sdcard to move apps to. So I guess it's just dump files on this. I think I'll move my nandroid backups to this as they take up a lot of space and I've found from playing with my nook color how convenient it can be to have proper backups :)

Thanks for the help. I'm really loving this phone.

4. thecdn

thecdn Well-Known Member

I ran a nandroid backup and found it automatically created the /clockworkmod/backup folder on the 8gb true external sdcard. That was good.

I also found that if I manually moved the titaniumbackup folder from /mnt/sdcard to /mnt/sdcard/ExternalSD I could change the preference in TB to point to that and have it save there. So the two big backup folders will automagically go to the larger sdcard. That makes me happy.

5. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Extreme Android User

glad you are up and running. :)

6. danyvw

danyvw Android Enthusiast

I did the same thing with TB, now my phone like yours has all backup folders in sdcard/_ExternalSD

LG Esteem Forum

The LG Esteem release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews