Yet another "what phone is best?" thread..

ebiester

Lurker
I'm coming from the Apple (3gs) world, and I'm on my way to Europe for a few months, which means that I need to buy an unlocked phone either here or in Turkey. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anywhere that doesn't give me dozens of mostly unworkable options.

All I'm looking for is:
GSM
I can buy it unlocked
Great battery life

It would also be nice to be the newest android (ICS, right?) and rootable (or at least vanilla.) I like the idea of getting out of the Apple ecosystem, but I can't find where to even find what phone would work for me.

Any ideas? I've already blown my time budget for this.

B2L

Android Expert
It really depends on what size of device you're looking for, but a good place to start would be the International version of the HTC One X. It has ICS, an HD screen, and Tegra 3 on board.

ebiester

Lurker
It really depends on what size of device you're looking for, but a good place to start would be the International version of the HTC One X. It has ICS, an HD screen, and Tegra 3 on board.

Thanks for the suggestion! I am worried about the battery life from the reviews I saw, combined with the inability to change out a battery. (I know, everyone wants features, but do I have to go with a "feature phone" to get a full day out of my phone? I don't need Tegra 5 million, I don't need a huge screen, I don't need it thinner than a piece of paper, I just want something with battery life, and I just don't know that the manufacturers are making a phone for me right now.

I think it's back to the apple ecosystem. Thanks, though!

Shocky

Android Expert
Most high end Android phones will last 2-3 max with normal usage, HTC don't have a good rep when it comes to battery life, HTC One X might be different though since it has a 5th low power core which might help.

I've not looked at any reviews though, so might be wrong. Theres also the option to buy extended batterys for many phones, they increase the thickness and weight of the phone though.

You could also just carry a spare battery. lol