1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General YIKES!!! I dropped my phone!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jennay22, Apr 5, 2011.

1. jennay22

jennay22 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    VA
    Yesterday I went out to get take-out for a late lunch back home with the family. I got out of my car and as I was transferring my TB to my pocket, it somehow slipped out of my hand and right onto the parking lot pavement :eek:. I saw the whole thing, it fell down face first. One corner of the phone hit first, bounced a little and then the bottom corner of the phone hit and then it came to rest screen down. I can tell you that YIKES was not the word that came out of my mouth :D. I pick up my phone sort of expecting a shattered screen, or at the very least a scratched up screen, but nothing. I of course have the Seideo Innocase II on my TB and that protected my phone big time! The case is pretty banged up, but it did not fly off the phone. The only thing was the part that you push down on the back to click on the case popped up so I just pushed it back down to secure the case. I got back home and took the case off and not one little scratch on the surface of the phone. I just hope nothing internally is wrong. I haven't noticed anything off with the phone, it works just as it did before. Oh, it was a 2 1/2-3 ft drop. Quick question though, should I replace the case? Will it hold up the next time I should drop it (knocking on wood that this doesn't happen again)? It also looks terrible now with the scratches, but I can probably live with that for a little while before it really starts to annoy me.

Advertisement

2. dc_maf

dc_maf Newbie
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    Sounds like your phone survived the drop with help from the Innocase II. Good to hear since I have the Innocase II as well! I have a similar dilemma with my SGP Ultra Crystal screen protector which now has a sizable scratch on it (probably from something in my pocket though not sure what) - the screen is fine, but now do I replace the screen protector!

3. garnto

garnto Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    these threads make me extremely nervous! I used to drop my old dumb phone several times a day(casio boulder), but I have yet to drop my tb. I will prob cry when I eventually do drop it

4. jennay22

None

Apr 19, 2010
    VA
    It was not a fun experience, not one bit. I'm so glad that I decided to put a case on this phone.

5. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Android Expert
    None

Jan 9, 2010
    Restaurant Owner and Chef
    Denver
    That is IMO one of the best cases for a phone I had it on my Incredible and am going to order for my Thunderbolt. I dropped my Incredible so many times with that case and it never even phased it .
    I don't think you need to replace the case

6. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Good to hear the case protected your phone. I know the feeling of droping a phone. I had my precious... I mean, my Droid 1 fall out of my hands one day and go crashing to the pavement. I didn't have a case or screen protector on her and right when it happened I got this pain in the pit of my stomach. When I gingerly picked the old girl up I noticed there was not even a scratch on the screen (she landed screen down). There were some dents and scratches on the body, but nothing too bad.

7. atrain311

atrain311 Android Expert
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    Male
    1st-grade Teacher & Adjunct Professor
    Queensbury, NY
    I hate reading these threads, yet I feel the need to like staring at a car crash. In my perfect world, no one ever drops their phones. I am very happy to hear your phone survived and I hope we all have the same luck when ours takes its plunge. There is nothing like the feel of this phone naked, but your story is exactly why you should be covering it. I hope my POP case offers the same service. How much bulk does your Innocase add, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks

8. garnto

garnto Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    I have the innocase also and it adds just a tiny bit of bulk. if anything it makes the phone feel better in hand IMO

9. ch121s

ch121s Lurker
    None

Jul 17, 2010
    I have the Amzer argyle case from Amazon and I dropped my phone two days again getting out of my case.....scared the hell outta me lol

10. orbitz781

orbitz781 Newbie
    None

Nov 21, 2009
    I dont have a case on my phone at all, and I can tell you that it is extremely fragile without one. Mine fell out of my pocket onto CARPET and the back battery door flew off and the little bottom bezel popped up a bit. I put everything back together and the only noticeable damage is the fact that the battery door squeaks a bit when pressed down a certain way, and once I popped the bottom bezel back in it seems to be okay. But thats all damage from carpet! The carpet was thick too, and it was only from my sweater pocket about 3 feet! Haha, I dont even wanna know how destroyed my phone would be if it happened on any other surface.

11. atrain311

atrain311 Android Expert
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    Male
    1st-grade Teacher & Adjunct Professor
    Queensbury, NY
    I guess I have such an interest in this thread because while I love my new POP case, there is nothing better than naked to me, so I was just contemplating last night if I would go naked most of the time and just be sure to have my case on when traveling to and fro and when I hand my phone to my 4 year old so she can play some games. I'm thinking know I should be safe. I mean, I have the Verizon insurance, and I keep trying to tell myself that it is just a material device, I shouldn't care so much about it, but I CAN"T HELP IT! Lol. :)

12. McLabia

McLabia Android Expert
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Working...
    City of Sharks to the City of Live Music!

Dont do it. I dropped my phone in my backyard. You know what they say, most accidents happen near or in the home. Case it up.

atrain311 likes this.
  13. orbitz781

orbitz781 Newbie
    None

Nov 21, 2009
    Haha well I'm extremely careful with my phone and I hate all the bulk that the cases add, right now all I use is my holster to have it on my belt while at work and other than that all I've got on it is an invisible shield on the screen and a carbon fiber phantom skinz :] Hopefully no more pocket falls, or worse :X

14. ProxisTech

ProxisTech Member
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    Have it too and I agree...makes it fell better in my hand too. Great case! (and I have had MANY)

15. shaddix2

shaddix2 Lurker
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    I always make sure at least my fingers and the phone are all the way in my pocket before letting go. If it's dark I put my whole hand in there to make sure lol.

16. aileendq

aileendq Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Female
    Boston, MA
    Awesome that your TB is okay! I don't think cases are like bike helmets, lol. I think you're ok using the same one!

17. jennay22

None

Apr 19, 2010
    VA
    LOL! I was thinking more like car seats :D. Mommy brain is always on when you have a 22 month old and a 3 1/2 yr old.