• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root You can now unroot revolutionary

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
  • May 13, 2010
    Los Angeles
    ok so i will start this thread by saying thanx to captain throwback, football, thefredelement.

this will only work with hboot 6.16 or 6.17

please use this method at your own risk. i do not accept any responsibility if you brick your phone.

so here goes.
    here are the files you will need:
    1. EVO_Radio_2.15.00.11.19.zip

2. PC36IMG_HBOOT_6.17.zip

3. PC36IMG_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.54.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.0808_NV_2.15_release_220182_signed

Step#1
    we need to first flash the radio 2.15.00.11.19

1. download the radio file and move it to the sd card.

2. then boot into recovery (power+vol down).

3. select install from sdcard and select the radio file.

Step#2
    flash the hex-edited hboot
    there are two ways you can do the next step. you can do it either by android flasher or from the bootloader. either way is just as easy so i will let you decide which one to use. but here are the instructions for both:

android flasher
    well with android flasher, you can flash radios, your splash screen, recovery as well as hboot. you will need to extract the .img file from the .zip file.

so here is what you will need to do:

1.download android flasher from here:
    AF Downloader

2.and extract it to someplace on your desktop where you can find it.

3.download the hboot 6.17 file.

4.extract the img.file and place it some where you will be able to find it.

5.run android flasher

6.go to the bootloader slot and select browse and then navigate to the hboot 6.17 img file you just extracted.

7.select it and make sure that you check off bootloader.

8.then at the very bottom select flash

bootloader
    1.download the hboot 6.17 file.

2.rename the file by deleting everything except for PC36IMG and do not add any zip to the name as windows hides extensions.

3.transfer the zip file to the root of the sd card that means not in any folder.

4.power off (make sure that fastboot is turned off) then press and hold power+vol down.

5..hboot should scan for it. select yes to update.

Step#3
    we need to get a stock rom and stock recovery

1.reboot your phone if not already and connect it to computer via usb cable.

2.delete the previous PC36IMG file from the sd card, if you used the bootloader method mentioned above.

3.rename the downloaded file (4.67)to PC36IMG. again make sure that you do not add a zip as windows hides extensions.

4.transfer the file over to the root of the sd card meaning not in any folder.

5.power off then press and hold power+vol down.

6.hboot should see the file and will ask you to update, select yes.

congrats you are now unrooted!:D

you can also use this ruu:RUU_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.54.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.0808_NV_2.15_release_220182_signed.exe (224.27 MB)
    to get you the latest ota stock rom and stock recovery. just connect the phone via usb and run the exe file on your computer.

please enlighten me to the reasonings of why.

the reason it could not be done before revolutionary, was because of the s-on tool. if you rooted with unrevoked, you needed a tool to flash to get s-on and then use the PC36IMG file to get you the stock recovery and rom. if you were to install the stock recovery via the PC36IMG file, you would not be able to flash the s-on tool. all you would get is the red triangle of death.

with this method, it is all done through hboot. i do not think the order matters too much. it is just something that kind of stuck from the previous method.

Upvote 0
    what if your phone isn't giving you the option to update once you move the new pc36img to your sd card and hboot? My phone recognizes it and then goes back to the screen with the androids on the skateboards. No option to update. :/

what do you mean that it recogonizes it? if it does then it will ask you to update. if it says no image or wrong image then hboot did not find it. it needs to be named exactly PC36IMG do not add an extra zip. hboot will not see it if it is named PC36IMG.zip.zip. also use capitols for the name as well.

Reactions: xkimmy95x
    Upvote 0
    what if your phone isn't giving you the option to update once you move the new pc36img to your sd card and hboot? My phone recognizes it and then goes back to the screen with the androids on the skateboards. No option to update. :/

My Evo wont recognise it either... is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Could it have something to do with a higher HB ver than what is in downloaded PC36IMG file?

Upvote 0
    My Evo wont recognise it either... is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Could it have something to do with a higher HB ver than what is in downloaded PC36IMG file?

that should not matter. they key is that are you naming it correctly and is it on the root of the card?

it needs to be PC36IMG exactly. do not add a zip to the name as then it will look like PC36IMG.zip.zip. hboot is programmed to scan for a file that is named PC36IMG.zip and if it is named incorrectly, it will not find it.

also the file needs to be on the root of the card. this means that has to be just a the card and not in any folders. hboot is also programmed to search for the file on the card and not in a folder. so if it is in a folder then the hboot will not see it.

Upvote 0
    wait, i thought I was just supposed to put the .zip on the card... Should I be extracting it?

Reformatted 2gb card.

Runs through the search but does not find the file.

file name: PC36IMG.zip

no do not ectract it. it was just a question. also i think it is becuase of your 2g card. the evo does not like the 2g cards for some reason. do you have the original someplace?

Upvote 0
    Reactions: khoff
    Upvote 0
    Reactions: sos4ever
    Upvote 0
    Nice guide.

I figured out this method back on August 24th, but wasn't able to put together an easy guide. I was successfully able to restore my EVO to stock before having to return it for a warranty replacement (half of my phone completely stopped vibrating).

Thanks again!

P.S. For the people where the Bootloader isn't seeing your PC36IMG.zip, most of the time, it's an SD card issue (i.e. it needs to be reformatted). You can also flash the hboot.img file in the zip using adb (as was posted earlier), or you can use a program on XDA called AndroidFlasher, which makes it a lot easier. I have a link to in the post I quoted above.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones