• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

You can turn off HTC Sense!

nMIK-3

May 7, 2010
I never liked HTC Sense and while for many people this is a plus addition in HTC Evo for others it was just a pure pain and nonfunctional.

I am glad that I found this today, a proof that you can turn HTC Sense off and experience HTC Evo in an original Android theme.

Now HTC just give me a GSM/WCDMA version of it with Amoled display and I am sold :)

Enjoy

YouTube - HTC EVO allows you to turn off Sense UI

Interesting find. Surprised this is possible since the Incredible lacks the option. I was under the impression that the two phones ran basically the same OS and Sense overlay. Obviously not.

That's probably because Verizon is still stuck trying to lock people into certain experiences...they'll probably be a update or something in the future that will let you turn off Sense on the Incredible.

Upvote 0
To those wanting to turn off Sense? Why? Have you ever used it? It is a positive, not a negative. The animation are kickass and the widgets are 2nd to none.

When you get your EVO, use Sense for 1 week, then shut it down. You will quickly turn it back on.

Sense's background is from TouchFlo 3D, which I can't stand. People have told me that Sense UI is WAY different, but I don't know yet because this'll be my first android phone.

I just like having the option in the event that Sense UI annoys me similarly to how TouchFlo3D started to annoy me. If it doesn't, I'll keep it on.

Upvote 0
Does this mean it should theoretically be easier to get a custom rom of Froyo when it comes out sans Sense?

That's what I was thinking since it's thought that this phone will get the Froyo update some time within 6 weeks of release (mid-July). Can't see that even being a possibility unless 1) they've already been working on Froyo but just couldn't get it done by release or 2) they set it up so that Froyo and other updates could be done without conflict with Sense.

Wonder if it means turn off Sense, download Froyo, and then get Sense update from Sprint or HTC?

Upvote 0
To those wanting to turn off Sense? Why? Have you ever used it? It is a positive, not a negative. The animation are kickass and the widgets are 2nd to none.

When you get your EVO, use Sense for 1 week, then shut it down. You will quickly turn it back on.

Yes I have and I love it.

But it's about choice not about what's better...

I want the CHOICE :)

-C

Upvote 0
Though, this video begs the question:

How do you turn it off to begin with?

Judging from my past experience with TouchFlo3D, there was a radial button in the menu settings area of WinMo 6.5 that you could uncheck and TouchFlo3D would turn off. From the video, it seems like turning Sense UI off would be even easier (I'm assuming from a settings menu somewhere).

Upvote 0
go to youtube and look at the MANY reviews of sense ui, then look at vanilla android-its boring-lol
...i'll try the evo both ways, but i know for a fact that i will like sense better because the wifey has a samsung moment and i tried the hero -much more intuitive.

Yup. Now that most of the information has been announced, I will be looking at a lot of videos to see the difference between the two.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones