1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root You Can't Root Your Gingerbread 2.3.3. Evo....BUT NOW YOU CAN!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ocnbrze, Jul 11, 2011.

1. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    GINGERBREAD CAN NOW BE ROOTED!!!!!!
    update:go here http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html to get your root on. read everything carefully before attempting to root. also the info below is a good read and still pertains for future phones and ota's.

ok guys so i just want to put this out there for all those who have gingerbread installed on there phone:

you can't root your phone. when you accepted the ota(or if it came out of box that way), it installed not only the update but also a new hboot (also known as the bootloader) which in this case is hboot 2.16. when a new hboot is installed, the previous exploit is usually closed up. you can read more on bootloaders here:What Is Bootloader And How To Unlock Bootloader On Android Phones [Complete Guide]

what is an exploit then? well, an exploit is a vulnerability in the hboot where we can gain access to the securities of the phone and turn it off (s-off). once that is done then there are methods that will finish the rooting process. but until securities is turned off, being able to root is not possible.

so depending on where the exploit is found will dictate what the procedure will be to root. we may need a new guide or maybe not. hopefully, the unrevoked team will be able to incorporate the exploit into their rooting program for us to use. that way we can just update the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html guide.

if you rooted your phone and it had froyo 2.2 and you want to update, then please DO NOT ACCEPT THE OTA. it could really put your phone in an unusual state or it just might even brick it. this goes for any phone. never accept an ota for your phone if you are rooted. the devs will usually get a hold of the source code for the ota and put out a rooted stock version of the ota and usually before the actual release date.

despite what your are seeing on the internet, there is no way to root your gingerbread phone. some sites say that you can downgrade then root your phone. but that is not possible especially, if you have s-on still. there was news of the gingerbreak exploit a few months ago, but most phones that got updated had that exploit closed.

also devs usually do not like progress reports or let anybody know what they are working on. they pretty much keep us in the dark so that there is less chance that sprint or htc will release a silent ota and close any exploits that have been found. not saying that htc or sprint can or will do it. they just do not want to take that chance.

please guys keep in mind that this is not the devs full time job. most of these guys have jobs or go to school. they are doing this on their own time for you guys to be able to root. so just be patient. i guarantee you that they are working on it, so please give them time to do it. it took the devs about a few months before an exploit was found for the froyo ota. just stay tuned here. we will post when an exploit is found and what the procedure will be. one way or another, there will be a sticky on how to root your phone.

i just saw this article on endgadget:HTC rolling out unlocked bootloaders to select phones in August -- Engadget and here is the facebook page: Update on Bootloaders | Facebook. not sure what that means for those of us who have evo's, but hopefully we will find an exploit sooner than that.:)

also anybody can follow along and see if they can get the news out first that an exploit has been found. i would head on over to xda HTC Supersonic: EVO 4G and check their subforums. they will have it under both the Q&A section or in the development forum. you can also follow:unrevoked, agrabren, alpharevx on twitter. if anybody is going to find an exploit, it will be these guys. also you can checkout alpharevx's irc channel:webchat alpharevx. you can checkout teamwin's website as well. and please if you beat me to it, post it here and provide a link if possible.

update: 7/29/11:
    ok so here is an update on what is going on. looks like the team from unrevoked and alpharex joined forces to create Revolutionary. well what is it? it is going to be the name of the new tool to be used to root your phone replacing the previous tool, Unrevoked. unfortunately the evo is not on the list of currently supported phones yet. now that the first wave of newer phones are out of the way, more devs can now concentrate on the evo. so please be patient. root is coming. Here is the website if you want to check it out:revolutionary

update:8/3/11
    there is an Update on Bootloaders | Facebook and it looks like we will have to sign in, and void our warranty to gain root access. luckily we have devs working on an exploit as we speak so that we do not have to void our warranty (though technically when you root, you void the warranty. but you can always unroot your phone without them knowing). thank god that the evo was not mentioned. :)

update:8/5/11
    i just tweeted to agrabren about the 4g being harder then the 3d, checkout his response.

Me:
    @agrabren
    Kevin Bruckert:
    i wonder what the politics is all about?
    well here is his answer:

update:8/7/11
    so i decided that i will not be posting every tweet that agrabren does. just follow him on twitter. but rest assured that the devs are working on it. and that they know that we are all anxious to get gingerbread rooted.

update:8/8/11
    TeamWin might have a breakthrough looks promising. But do not get too excited. lets see what and which devs chime in on this thread. it is too early to tell if this information is correct and if an exploit can be found here. definitely will have to keep a close eye on this one.

update:8/12/11
    no real update here. i just thought that i keep you all in the loop as far as what i know. it seems like teamwin has been kind of quiet of late. they are a group of devs who have been the most vocal. there are others that are working together as well but they like to work in the background. the team from revolutionary is also very quiet. not really sure what this means. hopefully something good. maybe they are busy working on it.

and also i think that the above thread is more of a dead end.

Advertisement

2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    htc also posted on facebook yesterday that they are workingbon unlocking the bootloaders but it will take time...it isnt an on off switch. the did not mention the evo but did mention a few of the newer devices.
    i want all you guys to get root!!! ( but this whole 2.3 locked bootloader thing makes my unlocked evo for sale wort a lil more!!!)

:p

3. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC
    Ha its a good time for us to sell. Come on sprint cancellation notice LOL.

4. ocnbrze

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    yeah i think that article was referencing that post. i saw it on a few other sites. i'm sure that the evo is on that list as well. i just hope that the devs will work to find an exploit before they start pushing those ota's. otherwise it could be awhile before we have root for gingerbread.

5. handler313

handler313 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 21, 2010
    As someone who is trying to buy a rooted phone on Ebay let me just say...I hate you :p

Thankfully I have a new White Evo with GB to sell to make up the cost ;)

6. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    Thanks for putting this as a sticky. As the proud owner of a replacement Evo with 2.3.3 installed, I'm glad that they're working on this, but disappointed that the Evo isn't specifically mentioned. I hope an exploit can be found before September. Ugh!

7. bskala19

bskala19 Lurker
    None

Jul 10, 2011
    machinist
    ohio!
    Hey I'm new to rooting and Android so I'm sure this is a dumb question but how long does it typically take to find an exploit ?

8. ocnbrze

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    well i believe it was at least a few months after the froyo 2.2 ota was released that they were able to gain root for hboot 2.1. so it could be anytime now. the main reason that no progress has not been mentioned is that htc could release a silent ota to close the exploit. so once they have something solid they will then let everybody know.

9. permit

permit Newbie
    None

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't remember accepting the ota, but l now see that my android version is 2.3.3 and I'm rooted. Phone has been acting way wonky and crashes with the minimal use. I can reboot into the white background recovery screen and choose restore, but phone can't seem to follow through with request and just crashes. If I wait a bit, I can power on but without the restore having occurred. Suggestions?

10. ocnbrze

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    can you get to the hboot screen? power off then press and hold power+vol down to get there. you may have to go to settings/applications and uncheck fast boot. if you hboot 2.16 then you somehow updated with the ota. do you have s-off still? it is found on the same screen.

permit likes this.
  11. mikevo

mikevo Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 29, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Shoot me! This message sent from my unrooted not so supersonic.

12. permit

permit Newbie
    None

Jan 5, 2011
    hboot screen says:

SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-OFF
    HBOOT-0.97.00000
    MICROP-041f
    TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
    RADIO-2.15.00.09.01
    Aug 19 2010, 12:29:08

Sorry if that's more info than you need.

13. ocnbrze

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    ok so looks like you are good to go. your hboot is not 2.16 and you have s-off. try going into recovery and wipe dalvik cache and cache. that usually helps when i get errors, glitches or bugs. if not then try and re-flash your rom or flash another rom.

permit likes this.
  14. ocnbrze

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    ndh777 and mikevo like this.
  15. permit

permit Newbie
    None

Jan 5, 2011
    Would I wipe dalvik cache and cache from the hboot screen or something like Rom Manager or Titanium Backup?

16. ocnbrze

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    ok so there are two mini os that operate when you are not booted up. one is the hboot(bootloader) and the other is recovery. when you go to the hboot screen(the screen that shows s-off), select recovery. in recovery you can do your wipes.

on another note, you should never use rom manager. it tends to be buggy and never wipes very well. do everything manually in recovery.

17. permit

permit Newbie
    None

Jan 5, 2011
    Thanks for your help. You're now probably deep into chartered territory. The phone is acting like it needs some time to itself for a little bit. I'll try it again in a half hour.

18. CYNICALifornia

CYNICALifornia Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 17, 2010
    Male
    Special Ed
    Palmdale, Ca
    Ok, so just to get this in the clear gingerbreak does not work on the Evo with hboot 2.16, correct?

The XDA post with the apk says that it only works on S-off, thus because we cannot turn s-off in 2.16 it will not work.

Is this correct?

19. ocnbrze

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    that is correct. htc closed that exploit when they installed hboot 2.16. so yeah you will have to wait.

CYNICALifornia likes this.
  20. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert
    None

PLEASE keep us updated! lol I root Evos for all my friends now and they will not stop bugging me about when a root is found. I'm tempted on creating a root myself but don't know how to search for an exploit... :(

And thank you ocnbrze for this thread! This will be MUCH better than coming back day after day to search each and every post for the announcement of the official root method.

ocnbrze likes this.
  21. mikevo

mikevo Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 29, 2010
    Los Angeles
  22. ocnbrze

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    yeah i hope this will help and keep those "can i root yet" threads down. not that i don't mind answering them. i felt that this is the easiest way to keep everyone informed. i will do my best to stay up to date on when root is available.

i'm not in the loop with any devs. i just report what i have seen. my main source is over on xda. usually if there is an exploit and root is obtained, they will have a post there. as soon as i see something i will post here. so if anybody else has knowledge they would like to share, please post them here. if you have a link i can then add it to the op.

Timmyman01 likes this.
  23. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    Over on XDA xHausx said it's not locked down on the level of the Evo3D, so I'm hopeful, since they have temp root on that, but I think all the top tier devs are devoting their time to the 3D. Or so it seems.

24. BinaryGod

BinaryGod Lurker
    None

Jul 12, 2011
    Software Tech Support for major credit card proces
    Knoxville TN
    Brand new user and already I have found something useful! Couldn't figure out why I couldn't get to hboot, should have known it was something simple! Looking forward to my first rooted Android device. Otherwise my brand new Nook will only be used for.... reading I guess. LOL

25. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC
    You can root the nook and run custom roms on it like cm7 even. Its a pretty decent priced tab after you root it. It is more than just a reader :)

Tags: