• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

You could NEVER do this in the USA!

I don't believe that "it" was done there, whatever "it" is.

It's clearly possible to get permits to shoot video in public places in the US, so that's easy. If the idea is that the person who pressed the button was the only person who wasn't in on the gag, I'd say that's a big leap of faith. I think it's most probable that it was all staged. YouTube is full of videos that try to look realistic, but aren't. Why should this one be the exception?

Upvote 0
If the idea is that the person who pressed the button was the only person who wasn't in on the gag, I'd say that's a big leap of faith.

TV shows have done it for years. Candid Camera (one of your very own shows) was one of the earliest, followed by many in Europe.

Nah, its much more fun to pull this on an unsuspecting member of the public than it is to pretend to pull this on an unsuspecting member of public. There's no way this isn't genuine.

Upvote 0
TV shows have done it for years. Candid Camera (one of your very own shows) was one of the earliest, followed by many in Europe.

Nah, its much more fun to pull this on an unsuspecting member of the public than it is to pretend to pull this on an unsuspecting member of public. There's no way this isn't genuine.

And we should believe you because....... why?

Upvote 0

I agree. I don't believe the members of the public were actors or stooges. TV shows like Candid Camera would play a trick on a member of the public, and then afterwards would ask their permission for it to be shown on TV, with the "victim" always having the choice to allow or block the broadcast. They usually agreed because they thought it was funny after the fact.

And we should believe you because....... why?

I think SUroot was expressing his opinion, not delivering testimony.

Upvote 0
I agree. I don't believe the members of the public were actors or stooges. TV shows like Candid Camera would play a trick on a member of the public, and then afterwards would ask their permission for it to be shown on TV, with the "victim" always having the choice to allow or block the broadcast. They usually agreed because they thought it was funny after the fact.

I think SUroot was expressing his opinion, not delivering testimony.

I was. Here's my reasoning behind the opinion.

• TV Shows do this all the time (Candid Camera, Beadles About, Trigger Happy TV, EuroTrash etc)
  • Being European and knowing the culture here, I feel it's conducive with our sense of humour
  • The TV company would lose integrity had it been staged
  • It's been on TV and Youtube for 10 months, yet no-one has shouted "Fake"
  • If it was fake, people on the internet would be shouting "Fake". That's what they do.
  • The surprised members of public are too genuinely surprised to be stooges. To get someone who can act that well, it would be unheard of that they aren't recognisable as an actor - Someone on the internet would shout "Fake"

What is gained by faking it?

• Cheaper? No. Would have to pay even more actors
  • Legal ramifications? No - European culture is different from America.

It would actually be harder to stage the whole thing that to drop it on unsuspecting members of the public. They all get to sign a release form.
They know they're bringing something on by pressing a big red button that says "add some drama". People aren't stupid. They know their curiosity is willing them to see what drama is added.

I've seen enough European TV advertisements to know the calibre of stooge (or fake members of public) that is suggested here is not common place. You just have to watch any toothpaste "In store" commercial to know that. "Amazing, now I can drink coffee or eat ice cream whenever I choose". If TV executives cannot find one decent stooge for a Toothpaste advert, how will they find as many as were in these 2 videos?!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones