• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

You dont need ROOT for the NEW LEAK!!

I really wish people didn't start duplicate threads. What was wrong with the first one? I might have saved some cold sweat if this had all been posted there.

Anyhoo, I got clobbered by trojans thanks to Megaupload. Frozen Firefox 3.6, persistent popops trying to sell me antivirus software. Fortunately Sophos cleaned it up. There were 3 trojans and about 8 suspicious files. I'm savvy enough to know that this wasn't a false positive.

This is real, folks. Use the other links.

Well if you actually took the time to read the other thread, you would see all of the confusion in it. Especially the first few pages, which is when this thread was created. Someone posted a link to the file for root, and it messed everything up in that thread. Lots of people were confused. This thread was started to get people on the right track. So in essence, its NOT a duplicate thread.

You're welcome.

Upvote 0
I did read the other thread. And this one. Entirely.

You're not thanked. :)

Its attitudes like that which wont earn you any respect here. You'll soon find out the hard way that people will be less apt to help you out when you run into a problem. Good luck with that.

Again, I'm just trying to help you out. As was the point of this post to begin with. I do not owe you anything, but I like to help people. Just watch how you talk to certain people on this forum, I wouldn't wanna see you become an outcast. These people are really helpful here.

Upvote 0
I did read the other thread. And this one. Entirely.

You're not thanked. :)

If, however, you'd go back to the OP and pull the virus-laden Megaupload link, I'd thank you heartily.

I didnt post that link. That link came from zxphenomenalxz, who is the reason we all have this new 2.1 to begin with. The file worked fine for me, as well as many others. The .zip isn't meant to be run on a windows platform, so your virus scanner i'm sure has given you false positives. You dont need to extract the file on your PC anyway, so I dont see why you would virus scan it. It just gets copied to your SD card UNZIPPED. Do you have any idea how this works?

Upvote 0
I didnt post that link. That link came from zxphenomenalxz, who is the reason we all have this new 2.1 to begin with. The file worked fine for me, as well as many others.
Which, of course, proves nothing. Several people have gotten hit, and it wasn't a false positive.

The .zip isn't meant to be run on a windows platform, so your virus scanner i'm sure has given you false positives. You dont need to extract the file on your PC anyway, so I dont see why you would virus scan it. It just gets copied to your SD card UNZIPPED. Do you have any idea how this works?
Wow. Pretty condescending. I'll try to remain civil anyway.

My phone is already on 2.1, as you can see. I didn't open or scan the .zip file. In fact, only a few KB got downloaded before Firefox hung. The viruses were installed via the ads on the download page. You've made a bunch of assumptions here that weren't warranted. Again, please remove the link from your OP. That you didn't post it first is irrelevant.

I apologize if I was crabby initially, but if this had all been in a single thread, I wouldn't have been hit with viruses.

Upvote 0
isher... It worked fine for almost everyone in here except you. look at the post right above you. Worked fine for him didn't it? I use malware bytes and avira, and they found nothing. I'm not removing the link. and I'm not responding to any more of your posts. You have 10 posts, its like you joined this forum just to bash me. Its funny how everyone else is thanking me, but you're being a troll. Thanks for your input, have a good day!

Upvote 0
I'm not judging you on post count. Your content speaks for itself. I've helped alot of ppl here since last night when all this started going down. Sorry you had an issue with it. I just re-downloaded the file from my link again. Nothing. Not one warning. Sorry it didn't work for you. If you dont like this thread so much, you dont have to be here.

Last time I ever try to help anyone. I'm outta here. Its too nice out :) Going for a ride on the Harley! Have fun with 2.1 guys!!!

Upvote 0
Check the other thread. Quite a few have been hit with viruses now. Some weren't adequately protected and have bunged-up machines.

Way to judge me on my post count. :rolleyes:

I downloaded from his link without any issues at all. Theres always an inherent risk when you download anything from the internet so badgering someone when you get something nasty isn't really helpful. For all anyone knows these particular machines could have already been infected, and visiting these sites could trigger something. You just never know. The best advice I can give is just make sure you are covered before you trust any links, even if its from somewhere reputable like this forum.

Reactions: LexusBrian400
Upvote 0
This is my first post on this board. I did the 2.1 leak successfully last week, and now I'm trying to do the new leak. I deleted everything on my SD card (while connected to pc), and put only the new 2.1 leak on the card. Then I unmounted (selected Charge only), and powered off the phone. Then I did the Volume Down & End keys together, the leak seems to load, and now the phone shows something like this:

HBOOT

<SEND> FastBoot Mode
<VOL UP> Recovery

There is nothing happening with the phone, no status bar or anything, its just stuck. What do I do now?

Upvote 0
I still have a faulty signal indicator. Shows a very low signal (one bar), but when I check my connection in settings, my strength is -75 dBm.

Strong signal, but the bars are out of whack.

Make a phone call and watch them jump. :D

I am starting to think that it is confusing 3g and 1x in the signal meter. Maybe we see 3g most of the time and only 1x when we make calls. I was having bad network problems last night right after the install, no 3g at all. The whole time I was on 1x I had full bars. I just made a call to my girlfriend and had full bars. As soon as I hung up it dropped down to 2. Weird? Yes. Probable? Yes.

Upvote 0
This is my first post on this board. I did the 2.1 leak successfully last week, and now I'm trying to do the new leak. I deleted everything on my SD card (while connected to pc), and put only the new 2.1 leak on the card. Then I unmounted (selected Charge only), and powered off the phone. Then I did the Volume Down & End keys together, the leak seems to load, and now the phone shows something like this:

HBOOT

<SEND> FastBoot Mode
<VOL UP> Recovery

There is nothing happening with the phone, no status bar or anything, its just stuck. What do I do now?

Well, from what I understand either of those options will take you into a normal boot. I have always done a Send + End to get into HBOOT.

You may want to post this on the other thread too. Just to get some confirmation though. I would hate for something to screw up your phone.

Upvote 0
Make a phone call and watch them jump. :D

I am starting to think that it is confusing 3g and 1x in the signal meter. Maybe we see 3g most of the time and only 1x when we make calls. I was having bad network problems last night right after the install, no 3g at all. The whole time I was on 1x I had full bars. I just made a call to my girlfriend and had full bars. As soon as I hung up it dropped down to 2. Weird? Yes. Probable? Yes.

This was true with the original leak too. If I made a call or sent a text, the 1x would show 4 bars. As soon as it switched back to 3g, the bars went away.

Same is true now.

Oh well, no big deal.

Upvote 0
Check the other thread. Quite a few have been hit with viruses now. Some weren't adequately protected and have bunged-up machines.

Way to judge me on my post count. :rolleyes:

the file itself is fine, it is one of the ads on MU that is serving up malicious code and triggering a false download confirmation that is serving up the trojan, that is what happened to me this morning.
oddly enough, it only happens with firefox.. my AV caught it quickly enough, and I was able to stop it from proliferating on my system and got it completely removed without much trouble.

if you are concerned, scan with malwarebytes

Upvote 0
the file itself is fine, it is one of the ads on MU that is serving up malicious code and triggering a false download confirmation that is serving up the trojan, that is what happened to me this morning.
oddly enough, it only happens with firefox.. my AV caught it quickly enough, and I was able to stop it from proliferating on my system and got it completely removed without much trouble.

if you are concerned, scan with malwarebytes

Adblock + plugin.....job done.

Upvote 0
I'm really struggling to get this to install. I've tried every kind of entry into hboot, I hit volume down and it does the same thing as last time, then goes to a screen offering send for fastboot and volume up for recovery. I hit send and get to the fast boot screen and cannot select anything with the trackball, the only option is hboot again, so I hit volume down and REPEAT THE SAME ****ING PROCESS.

Sorry. Help. Please.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones