• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help You guys leaving 4G on?

randomdude

Lurker
May 20, 2011
may sound like a stupid question, but does it take more battery power to keep it on 4G the whole time? i'm hearing from some people that this phone will actually put 4G on "idle" when not in use...

also, most of you guys leaving 4G on? just wanted to hear your opinions.

I don't live in a 4G network area, so I don't ever have it on. Even if I did, I would turn it off when I'm idle.

I got this program called JuiceDefender. When I shut off the screen, it disables 3G and WiFi for me. When I turn on WiFi, it disables 3G. I haven't had any issues with it, but I only got it yesterday, so we'll see how it goes.

Upvote 0
I'm in an area that has had 4G since the EVO launch and always left 4G off on my EVO because it was a pretty big battery drain. I havent even turned 4G on since I've had my NS4G as I use wifi at home and work and 3g is fast enough for me when on the go. The battery impact isn't worth it to me. Though I can't say if the NS4G 4G is easier on the battery than using it on the EVO.

Upvote 0
I don't live in a 4G network area, so I don't ever have it on. Even if I did, I would turn it off when I'm idle.

I got this program called JuiceDefender. When I shut off the screen, it disables 3G and WiFi for me. When I turn on WiFi, it disables 3G. I haven't had any issues with it, but I only got it yesterday, so we'll see how it goes.

juicedefender works on 2.3 ? Not really 100% on that. You can't toggle the cell data usage on and off like. All the other functions work fine. But the cell data usage is where the bulk of the battery savings were, so it is essentially like JD doesn't work. I had the PRO version on my EPIC 4G and have zero luck. Green Power works fine.

Upvote 0
OK, the only problem I've found with the 4G gooing idle on the nexus S, is that you will NOT receive ANY gtalk messages, emails, or anything that requires an internet connection.
It DOES NOT kick back in when there is a need to push data, you have to wake it up manually.
I have no idea how to change the polling time, but this is a bit issue for me.

Upvote 0
juicedefender works on 2.3 ? Not really 100% on that. You can't toggle the cell data usage on and off like. All the other functions work fine. But the cell data usage is where the bulk of the battery savings were, so it is essentially like JD doesn't work. I had the PRO version on my EPIC 4G and have zero luck. Green Power works fine.

Just went to download Green Power. In their description it says that due to the 2.3 API, it can't toggle cell data.

Upvote 0
OK, the only problem I've found with the 4G gooing idle on the nexus S, is that you will NOT receive ANY gtalk messages, emails, or anything that requires an internet connection.
It DOES NOT kick back in when there is a need to push data, you have to wake it up manually.
I have no idea how to change the polling time, but this is a bit issue for me.

My NS4G has had 4G since launch and I always get my notifications Gmail, Gtalk, FB, Tango and now G+. I get about 10 hours without plugging it to a charger at all and 15 hours if I charge it for at leas 30 minutes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones