• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help You have Gingerbread. Now what?

Is it necessary to factory reset your phone after installing the 2.3 update?
Or will this happen by itself?

In a word, no.

The DINC2 will do a restart at some point (maybe twice) but that's it. I've done two upgrades (replaced my original DINC2 for unrelated problems) and it's been amazingly easy. One thing helps speed things up, using PC Internet Pass-through, faster than WiFi and way faster than 3G.

Upvote 0
Tap on the weather widget --> press the menu capacitive button --> sound effects.

You'll hear the same sound inside the weather widget when you swipe between different locations -as long as they have the sun icon. There is a different sound for the moon.

Er, strictly speaking, all you need is to display the weather widget and wait a couple of seconds to hear the sound, if it's enables in the app's settings. No other user intervention is needed. You can look at the list of screens and hear the SFX for each screen by going through the demo option in the widget's menu, but that's not required to hear something from the widget.

Upvote 0
Er, strictly speaking, all you need is to display the weather widget and wait a couple of seconds to hear the sound, if it's enables in the app's settings. No other user intervention is needed. You can look at the list of screens and hear the SFX for each screen by going through the demo option in the widget's menu, but that's not required to hear something from the widget.

So...what I said was... wrong???:thinking:

Upvote 0
Why not just get rid of the unlock bar? Download Nolock.

No kidding.....why even bother having a screen lock?

As for the Gingerbread update, maybe it's because I'm probably older than 90% of the people here but I'm still looking for what the thrill was all about. I don't notice any difference when texting, using the internet, or (*gasp*) making an actual phone call. Is it mostly just being able to say that the Inc2 got Gingerbread?

Upvote 0
No kidding.....why even bother having a screen lock?

As for the Gingerbread update, maybe it's because I'm probably older than 90% of the people here but I'm still looking for what the thrill was all about. I don't notice any difference when texting, using the internet, or (*gasp*) making an actual phone call. Is it mostly just being able to say that the Inc2 got Gingerbread?

Well, I may fall into that other 10%. The big deal for me was the vastly improved GPS performance. I use nRange golf GPS, and on Froyo it was almost unuseable due to how long the GPS took to get a pinpoint location (worked flawlessly on my BlackBerry). Even Google Nav would lose me every minute or so while driving.

Haven't used Nav since GB, but played golf yesterday and the GPS was much better, nearly on par (pun intended) with my BlackBerry.

I will say that using GPS used a lot more battery than it did while on Froyo. Everything else seems better on battery, so overall battery life seems to be a net gain.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
In a word, no.

The DINC2 will do a restart at some point (maybe twice) but that's it. I've done two upgrades (replaced my original DINC2 for unrelated problems) and it's been amazingly easy. One thing helps speed things up, using PC Internet Pass-through, faster than WiFi and way faster than 3G.

Ok, so would using internet pass through be the best and fastest way to get the 2.3 Gingerbread update???

Upvote 0
So, I started using launcher pro now that I am running GB and everything seems to be running nice and fast, with strong screen animations. I am very pleased with the way things look.

Anyone else have any other noticible improvements?

One problem I was having initially was my BT headsets would not automatically connect when I turned them on (after pairing of course). Since the GB update they now connect reliably.

Upvote 0
So, I started using launcher pro now that I am running GB and everything seems to be running nice and fast, with strong screen animations. I am very pleased with the way things look.

Anyone else have any other noticible improvements?

I have noticed two things. Battery life seems a bit better, not dropping as quickly, more left at the end of the day. Also, 3G reception seems better where I work. I'm buried in the bowels of a big, multi level warehouse and wouldn't get much of a 3g connection, mostly 1X. Now, I usually get at least one bar of 3G, two and three alot of the time.

Sam

Upvote 0
Overall, happy with the update. However, I've now twice experienced applications suddenly reporting there is no network. Using the browser I see this message, but if I refresh a page it loads and I don't see the message there anymore.

Other apps will continue to see this problem. The first time I just rebooted the phone and it was fixed. The second time I turned on wifi and turned it back off and everything worked. Anyone else experiencing this?

Upvote 0
No issue updating over 3g on the road. Took about 15minutes. My only issue now is the annoying unlock sound and SMS/Contacts issues. SMS conversations are split where it looks like I am texting to my self. The name and icons of the contact I am texting with no longer shows and my contacts are no longer linked. Bummer.

Upvote 0
No issue updating over 3g on the road. Took about 15minutes. My only issue now is the annoying unlock sound and SMS/Contacts issues. SMS conversations are split where it looks like I am texting to my self. The name and icons of the contact I am texting with no longer shows and my contacts are no longer linked. Bummer.

If my memory serves you have to go to the weather widget settings and uncheck sound effects to disable the unlock sound.

Regarding contacts and SMS consider Go SMS Pro or Handcent - both free and much better than the stock app IMHO. I also use Go Contacts to link contacts and merge duplicates.

Reactions: stinkyjak
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones