1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root You opinions on custom Rom's?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by j3cubcapt, Mar 6, 2011.

1. j3cubcapt

j3cubcapt Newbie
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    OK, I rooted via Unrevoked back when the EVO first came out. I am running the stock ROM (3.26) and I would like to flash a custom ROM. Problem is I'm having a tough time reviewing all of the different ones, so I'm asking for your recommendations..

Here is what I would like to keep in a new ROM;
    • 4g
    • wifi hotspot
    • new market

I have clockwork rom manager 3.0.0.5 (Free) version installed, but would like to have the premium for easier flashing.

I hear that I may need to refresh radios as well.

Can I please have your recommendations for easy to install stable ROM's that I can update my EVO with?

Thanks guys...
    Will

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    Here is what was recommended to me when I first rooted. Step one, flash Amon Ra, it's more stable (so I hear, I just figured stability was important when it comes to this sort of thing).
    Step two, nandroid backup of rooted stock rom.
    Step three, flash away. I went with Myn's Warm 2.2, and it was great. I loved it. I still love it and use it quite a bit, it is the one I 'roll back' to when I find a ROM that I don't quite like or have the time to set up completely.

Myn's has 4g, wifi hotspot (though sprint, but you can install wifi tether as well), and I believe it has the new market. My market always seems to just change and update by itself. And it is also 2.2.
    There are a lot, Kings and MikFroYo are all good, one of them ( don't recall which) had a theme applied that I didn't quite care for. I'd try Myns, it's good stuff.

j3cubcapt likes this.
  3. j3cubcapt

j3cubcapt Newbie
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Thanks 9to5cynic, Are you saying to flash Amon Ra first? I don't even know what Amon Ra is, but I will do some research.

Is the fact that I used Unrevoked and I have Rom manager Clockworks install present any problem?

Will

4. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    No problem. Amon Ra is just another recovery, like clockwork. Yup, flash it first, then use Amon Ra to make a new nandroid backup (with All the defaults plus wimax and anything else you want, I did pretty much everything on my first nandroid backup).

This will create a folder in the SD card /nandoird/DEVICE/BDCS-XXXXXXX_XXX/ and this folder will have all the backup images. You just need to keep them as they are so if anything goes wrong you can back up.

I also used unrevoked, and I haven't had any troubles with getting to amon ra and flashing.

:::EDIT::::
    Amon ra is a file called PC36IMG.zip, this goes in the root of the sd card, and then booting into recovery (power + vol. down) will install it (I'm pretty sure, it's been a while lol). there is a lot of good info out there on this forum and xda if you need it.

j3cubcapt likes this.
  5. Internetpilot

Internetpilot Well-Known Member
    None

I second the vote for changing to Amon_RA and flashing Myn's Warm 2.2 RLS5.

I was happily using ROM Manager/Clockwork Mod by way of unrEVOked as well, but after encountering a few quirky problems with flashing ROMs and kernels, I was given the good advice to switch to Amon_RA, and I haven't had a problem since. Amon_RA is basically the same thing as Clockwork Mod -- they're both Recovery. In the end, I think it's mostly preference, but there is a little bit of fact/individual experience in there, too, for which Recovery to use. I think both are good, and you may never have a problem using ROM Manager/Clockwork Mod. If you ever do have a problem, you can always just switch to Amon_RA (like I did).

Myn's Warm 2.2 RLS 5 is a very stable and mature ROM, and it's a very easy transition from stock, while adding plenty of customization, bloat removal, etc., to make it worth the flashing process. It also satisfies every one of your list of requirements (and then some). I also tried Myn's Warm Z, but because it's a port from another phone, there's no 4G. Whether or not you're willing to tolerate that depends a lot on how much you use 4G. I don't use it that much, but it is available in my area, so I like the option of using it. The lack of 4G has stopped me from trying non-Sense UI ROMs, namely Cyanogen. Another factor in that is I do actually like Sense UI.

I would wait and see what others suggest to you, as there's likely more ROMs out there that satisfy your list. Once you start flashing, you might as well download and try all of them (like before restoring your data), pick the strongest candidate(s), flash them, restore your data, and give them a good try for a few days or a week or so. Then let your own personal preference be your guide.

Be careful -- it's addictive! Oh, and like so many of the veterans always say -- GET THAT NANDROID BACKUP WITH WIMAX KEYS FIRST!

j3cubcapt likes this.
  6. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    couple of roms i really like is mikfroyo 4.5 and kings unleashed ultra r2. you can get the roms in my sig, ref #2. both are super fast and very small in size so that you have more internal memory. i'm on kings right now and i love the transitions between windows. those animations are just crazy cool.

check them out and join the ranks of us flashaholics!

7. j3cubcapt

j3cubcapt Newbie
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Wow, great advice, thanks!

How can I change from Clockwork to Amon RA? Is it as simple as 9to5cynic stated by installing PC36IMG.zip on the SD?

What about my "Radios"? Are mine to old? I guess I will have to update them as well?

Also InternetPilot, you mentioned restoring my data, where can I find some info on how to do that after flashing a ROM?

Sorry for the questions, I tried to ask them at XDA, but they will not allow postings in the dev forum.

Will

8. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Yes, before you start flashing away, you must flash the updated radios. It's not difficult, but you're going to have all kinds of problems if you don't. Since you want to go to a custom ROM, you'll want to flash the radio combo update. See the rooting for dummies guide - section 6 under after rooting. That will explain how to flash the radios before flashing a new ROM (in the same recovery session). As you need to update radios, I too recommend that you switch to RA recovery. You can flash it via ROM manager, or via the method in my sig. As for data backup, use titanium backup before you start. So...

1) Install titanium backup, then install busybox through titanium backup if need be (select the "problems" option in TB to do so, if need be).
    2) Use titanium backup to backup apps/apps data (I don't recommend backing up/restoring system data when switching ROMs).
    3) Flash RA if you want it.
    4) Reboot into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
    5) Follow the instructions to flash the radios and a new ROM.
    6) Boot up, and continue to follow the radio update instructions for verification.
    7) Restore apps/app data via titanium backup. I recommend you install only the apps you need, and restore app data for apps only when you need it. It takes a little longer than a batch restore, but you'll ensure you won't have any issues.

j3cubcapt likes this.
  9. Ivansandroid

Ivansandroid Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    BUSINESS MAN
    BUCKEYE NATION
    Koni's Elite Series II is defintely what you are looking for. I just flashed my Evo two days ago and just did my daughters Evo tonight with no problems. All the radios work fine. Its a sense based rom so you wont loose that. The only big differences are there are icons in the notification bar for things like flashlight, wifi...etc. And most of the backgrounds are black, like in the phone or messages where the background is white with stock, its black with white text (much easier on the eyes). I flashed anarchys toast kernel on top of that to over and underclock the phone via Set Cpu (free on 4shared) to about 1.19 Ghz stable. What a difference it battery life and phone performance. Plus hey, if you dont like it you can go back to the stock rom as long as you made a nandroid.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=941055 (Koni's)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=719763 (Toast Kernel)

j3cubcapt likes this.
  10. j3cubcapt

j3cubcapt Newbie
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Thanks guys, keep the great opinions flowing! I'm sure there are other lurkers like myself that are eating up the advice and support!

Will

11. Ivansandroid

Ivansandroid Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    BUSINESS MAN
    BUCKEYE NATION
    Oh and by the way I didnt have to update any radios with that rom either. It was pretty cut and dry

12. j3cubcapt

j3cubcapt Newbie
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    OK, I followed all of your guys advice and I have now flashed with a custom rom including updated radios. Everything is running fine and I'm happy I jumped off and tried this.

I decided to go with Myn's 2.2 and I'm happy with the results.

Thanks again for helping this NOOB, and I know others have benefitted from reading this as well.

Will

13. Tempusfugit

Tempusfugit Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    FYI most sense roms I've tried have notification widgets. Here's a link on customizing it..

[MOD][PORT][4G toggle] Notification Menu Power Control Widgets for Sense - 3.70 OTA - xda-developers

personally I like having a 3g toggle more than 4g, for one, I use it more, and two, 4g toggle widgets never seem to work correctly, in any form.

Also, I personally like the clear notification on mikfroyo, and I haven't tried koni, but the all black phone was kind of annoying for me on other roms

I agree, but to make use of the internal memory requires changing the partition sizes of data, system, and cache. After repartitioning and a fresh install of mikfroyo I have over 500 mb internal free ;)

14. stevcha

stevcha Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Definitely go with a sense rom. Mik Froyo 4.5 or Myn's Warm Rls5 get my vote. Check my sig for links.

Tags: