• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

You Should All Have Prey Installed On Your Phones

chismay

Android Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2011
LONDON
www.londonleos.uuuq.com
hi guys wanted to share a fantastic app called prey.

now prey is a security application. once you have loaded the app on your phone and registered for FREE you then confirm your current simcard as valid and activate prey,

now if you lose your phone, simply log into your account on any computer, it will show you exactly where your device is located on google maps to an accuracy of 10meters. ive found it to 95% of the time accurate to within 4 meters. seriously.

now your thinking but what if its not lost but stolen. the theives obviously take out the sim first right? doesnt matter! prey is still fully active! sending you reports and location every ten minutes ...for FREE, via the control panel you can still lock your phone and back it up via any availible wireless/data connection/ even just gprs.

when the theif take your simcard out and puts a diffrent one in prey knows, dis allows the new card and a big message comes up like this.

snap20101021_191733.png

you can change what it says mine says:

THIS PHONE IS STOLEN AND BEING TRACKED BY GPRS ACCURATE TO 5METERS REPLACING THE SIMCARD WILL NOT CHANGE THIS, TO AVOID PROSECUTION AND RECIEVE REWARD PLEASE CONTACT THE OWNER 0795XXX-XXX-XX/ CHRISLONDOXXX@XXTMAIL.CO.UK. you cannot deactive this feature.

ok so look fail safes,

if prey doesnt have a reason to activate itself (theif doesnt change simcard you dont apply as stolen on web control panel, ...simple just whip out your mates phone text your own number with a code word your can set. i have mine set to "acquired" this code word recieved in ANY text message will activate prey and mark device as missing/stolen.

fail safes,. you can check "uninstall security" only you can delete prey from your device with a password, the theif cannot simply uninstall the software....CANNOT

if you search prey on the net theres already hundreds of people who HAVE GOTTEN THEYRE DEVICES BACK FROM THEIVES!!! prey works on computers theres the android version, mac, its an amazing free service and it works!!

btw when the thief changes the simcard prey text a number (you pre-set in options) the new simcard phone number,,,,

in other words when the theif changes numbers....ok so call the new number and say look mate im tracking you i see your in this location (you will know from map) i see you was here all last night and all the night before so im assuming this is your home address.

and i know the new number and any new number you put in this phone,
i can stop you using this phone to get connection....period.
bring the device back to me' ill comp you bus fair and i wont tell the police.
are you gonna come to me or do i need to go to the police and then come to you?

Upvote 0
you can then just go to the app , enter your password and then de-activate, you can also do this from the web console, then add the new sim as "known" sim.

it doesnt use any juice , only when the phone or device is stolen,. it stays inactive and no-background running intill activated/tripped

it is really brilliant many stories on google about people getting theyre stuff back from theives,

the thing is of you check the reports for 2 nights and see where the device spends 2 nights in a row you more than likely have the thieve home address,

EVER WANTED THE ADDRESS OF SOMEONE WHO'S STOLEN FROM YOU?

Upvote 0
also when someone put an unknown simcard in prey will text a number (you preset) the number telephone number of the new simcard.

so you could,, see where the thief spend most his time at night....you have his home address

call the new simcard, imagine the thoughts running through the thief's mind when you call him on the new simcard number, and you know his home address, and where he currently.......like i said theres many stories on net of people who did just that and got theyre devices back from shit scared thieves.

Upvote 0
Chis finally some peeps took notice of this relevant post...i think it was just buried among the older posts.
On anti-v, had installed lookout free, what do u think man? Would this help? It also has some prey features, i think.
Think prey has some functions of samsung's older app Mobile Tracker but without the location.

Upvote 0
im pretty sure with the pro version once its activated it stops the gps being switched off.,

..and lets be honest with the wifi , gps and phone connection is not available there wouldnt be much point in nicking the phone plus when any of the above is switched on for even a second...bang you have a report.

WiFi is available on some part. Like the malls, cafes and whatsoever offering free WiFi. So you mean when the WiFi is activated, I instantly will reserve a report where my phone is? Cool! One last question, you said that the app can't be uninstalled by anybody other than me, what if the phone is formatted by the thief? Will that erase the app from the phone and no chance to regain it?

Upvote 0
WiFi is available on some part. Like the malls, cafes and whatsoever offering free WiFi. So you mean when the WiFi is activated, I instantly will reserve a report where my phone is? Cool! One last question, you said that the app can't be uninstalled by anybody other than me, what if the phone is formatted by the thief? Will that erase the app from the phone and no chance to regain it?

yes, literally any connection, i put a different simcard in my phone at work, then forgot to de-activate prey, by the time i got home i already had 4 reports with location (shown on googlemaps ) showing my route home. :D also if i did turn wifi off because im on 3g unlimited internet i would have had a constant flow of reports. free users are limited to 1 report every ten minutes. you get the first report instantly after checking device as missing.

it must have connected to a few btopenzone hotspots briefly while i was riding home. thats all it needs, if wifi is off itll use phoneconnection (2g,3g,4g) or gps.

on formatting dont quote me on this but im sure ive read on the site that prey is installed in a location that wont be effected by a factory reset.

Upvote 0
Are you still using this Chismay? Any noted problems with it running away in the background etc?

yup still using it., luckily have not had tp use it to its full potential yet (gladly) lol but yeah not probs it doesnt run at all unless activated it literally just sits 700kb on my phone.:D no background service at all:D

Upvote 0
my biggest doubt is... what if the thief has not put a sim in which mobile internet is not activated..

because in india there are peoples who dont need internet in phone...

so does it send sms when the sim is changed ?? even if the gprs is disabled ?

yes, it has different methods of sending the report,.

dude if a guy nicks your phone turns off gps and internet and 3g and inserts a sim that for some (reason it cannot send the report your pretty much ****ed any way arnt you?

so would you be happier knowing as soon as the wifi or 3g or gps is tested you will get location, new sim card phone number knowing even with a factory reset the security is still active?

seriously you cant plz some people:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones