• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

YouMail or HulloMail?

NJRonbo

Android Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2012
Thanks to a thread on Phandroid, yesterday I find out about this great visual voicemail service called YouMail that is absolutely free. Been using it for a day and I absolutely love it.

Then, today, somebody on Phandroid mentions HulloMail. Also free for the basic service. Haven't tried it yet but I am wondering if anyone has opinions as to which service is better than the other and why.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: opalfrog
Not to sound like a jerk but what's the point? Or are you on a carrier that doesn't offer free visual voicemail?

I'm on sprint and it's built-in so I don't see the point.

Hello! I'm curious about your post...Im also with sprint and was informed that I could have visual voicemail for a 30 day trial and then would be charged. Is it supposed to be free?

Upvote 0
I have Verizon and they charge $2.99 a month for visual voice mail.

I'll have to look into a free app. I never realized they had them for that. I need to get out more lol.

You mail is fantastic. Gives you an onscreen note and play messages imo easier than calling voice mail. It also greets your caller by name when they call.

Stock voice mail works fine, but I like the customization of you mail. Google voice, for me
, never got the speech to text right.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
How does you mail work? Do i have to uninstall the stock app or does it just take over once you install it? Also, is it compatible with Sprint? Thanks in advance. :)

Sent using the force

No need to un install stock. Once installed they text an activation number. Can un install at any time; but you won't.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
+1 for YouMail. Caloy, you install the app & your voice mail is Fwd to YouMail. It has complete customization for your VM, including different messages for different people. For example, your parents can get a message saying you can't answer bec you're at church, your friends can get a message saying you're sleeping off your hangover & your boss can get a message saying you're hard at work & too busy to talk. I love it!

Upvote 0
Thanks to a thread on Phandroid, yesterday I find out about this great visual voicemail service called YouMail that is absolutely free. Been using it for a day and I absolutely love it.

Then, today, somebody on Phandroid mentions HulloMail. Also free for the basic service. Haven't tried it yet but I am wondering if anyone has opinions as to which service is better than the other and why.

Thanks in advance.

I know Google Voice may not be one of your options but I would try GV. No need for sms backup, GV can save those and although visual voicemail isn't exceptional, it does the job

Upvote 0
Really haven't had the chance to play with YouMail, but on the surface, I really like what it does. Nice to have a free visual voicemail service with options to send customized messages to certain contacts.

I need to find an instruction manual on how to set it up to its full potential. I would guess there is one on the site. Just wasn't sure how different it was from HulloMail. Doesn't look like there are any glaring differences that would make me want to switch at the moment but I'll keep an interest in further responses in this thread.

Upvote 0
Coming from iPhone, the very first app I downloaded on my AT&T Note II was the AT&T Visual Voicemail app. It was working great for about 2 to 3 weeks, then all of a sudden it stopped working. Found out on the forum that it stopped working for everyone not just me. So I went to Play store and search and found the one with mostly positive reviews, which turns out to be HulloMail. It has been working great so far. I have not tried YouMail so I cannot really compare. I was a bit shocked that Android OS did not include a Visual Voicemail app when I first got the phone. What? I have to call VM and listen to them one by one?? :p I am so spoiled by the iPhone.

Upvote 0
I know Google Voice may not be one of your options but I would try GV. No need for sms backup, GV can save those and although visual voicemail isn't exceptional, it does the job
I don't know that I've ever had a voicemail where Google Voice did the text translation and I had a clue what the VM was about. Their voice-to-text algorithm sucks high vacuum like an ion pump. But I still like getting access to my VMs via Gmail.

Upvote 0
I checked out both the YouMail and HulloMail and it looks like both have ads on the basic free versions. Just wondering from anyone who has tried them if the ads are obnoxious or not really a big deal.

I've never had the paid version but I've never noticed the ads on the free version. To be honest I don't look at the app long enough to pay any attention.

Reactions: opalfrog
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones