1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

your captivate screens.......scratches anyone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by oFUNGUSo, Feb 9, 2011.

1. oFUNGUSo

oFUNGUSo Member
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Texas
    do you have them? is your screen naked?

im fimilar with the bazillion different protectors. i have a crappy cheap one on there just because im paranoid. the screen dosnt look as good with it on.

i hear this gorrilla glass is good stuff....then i also saw some people arguing saying the cap is not gorrilla glass.

i saw scratch tests on youtube.......but i rarely buy those videos.

i want the TROOF.

how long have you had your cap, and if no screen protection have you had any scratches appear?

Advertisement

2. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    student
    north alabama
    ive had my phone since release day with no screen protectors. i have a couple of very very very light scratches you can only see in direct sunlight if the screen is 100% clean. i am very paranoid about it also and also pretty ocd but those dont even bother me. i am careful with my phone though, i also make sure my pocket is clean from as much dust or anything that could potentially scratch the screen when i put it in there

3. bolts2

bolts2 Newbie
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    I've had my Captivate for 3-4 months now and I do not use a screen protector. I have zero scratches thus far, but I also try to be very careful. When in my pocket, I make sure there is nothing else in that pocket and try really hard to never allow my keys to be anywhere near it. Awesome screen, best thing about this phone.

4. Wreckoncile

Wreckoncile Member
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Real Estate
    Los Angeles
    I've had my captivate since first week of august (2 weeks after release day). Never once put a screen protector on it, and I'm not the most careful guy. I've dropped the phone a couple of times (hard case fortunately), and I usually put it in my pocket with any number of other things (though I always keep keys in a seperate pocket). Not a scratch on there that I can see. This screen is pretty sweet. For all the issues Samsung has had with software and updating, their hardware is top notch.

5. oFUNGUSo

oFUNGUSo Member
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Texas
    i have peeled off the crappy matte finish protector......oh GAWD the screen looks so much better!

6. Chris_Marie

Chris_Marie Member
    None

Sep 16, 2010
    TX
    The screen is so much better looking without a screen protector. I do use one though, I have 2 boys and I have put my coffee cup on the screen. I have read that ceramic can scratch the screen pretty easily so don't use your phone as a coaster and you should be good.

7. Aatos.1

Aatos.1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2010
    West Coast USA
    I've had my Captivate since release day. Although I'm very picky, I'd previously tried dozens of screen protectors at all price points.

After unboxing my Captivate only to find the stellar display so beautiful with such terrific tactile feedback I decided to risk it and not use a protector.

Now many months later, being carried in my pocket, it's amazingly scratch free. I cannot say enough good things about my trouble free, fast & fun Captivate.

8. Rootmepls

Rootmepls Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 22, 2011
    NorCal
    I've get rid of the stock protector that its shipped with and usually install the purchased ones. I'm obsessive like that with touch screens. Just bought a pack of 3 from AT&T the day I bought it in Dec. Not a bubble in it and the girl working that day even applied it for me. She was much more delicate in the application of it.
    First this I buy for a phone is a case and screen protectors.

9. rubiconjp

rubiconjp Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    Had this phone since mid August, bare screen, dropped a few times on sidewalks (one time running and it flew off my pocket onto sidewalk)... not a single scratch, no damage whatsoever. Protected only with the body glove soft case.

10. sremick

sremick Android Expert
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    First of all, the Captivate is Gorilla-glass. There are other threads that debated and then resolved this. We have confirmation from Corning and Samsung about this.

Everyone loves their Captivate without a screen protector... until they get their first scratch. ;)

I personally use a screen protector. I agree the Captivate is better-looking without one... however, it's also better-looking with a screen protector than without one and a scratched screen. How do I know? I scratched mine. Granted, it took dropping it to do it... but everyone will drop their phone at some point. A screen protector scratches more-easily than the glass screen, unfortunately... but it's easier to replace a screen protector than it is to replace your screen.

So live dangerously if you want to... but I worry that's only fun until the day comes you wish you had had that screen protector on 10 seconds ago...

11. Loremonger

Loremonger Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    I rock it nekkid. No worries so far. I've dropped it a couple of times and dinged up the plastic around the corners, but the screen is still perfect.

I used a screen protector for a while. I tried the Phantom Skinz full-body kit, which ended up being a total waste of money. Then I tried the AT&T cover, but it just looked so dull.

With such a great device, I like to enjoy the full user experience. I did the same with my old iPhone.

12. SlappyMcgee

SlappyMcgee Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 18, 2010
  13. wjkrysak

wjkrysak Newbie
    None

Aug 6, 2010
    Male
    Atlanta, GA
    I've had mine since August. Tried a screen protector and then became confident in the Gorilla glass. I am particular about ensuring keys, etc. are not in the same pocket. Dropped twice. Slight ding on the corner, no scratch or damage to screen. For me, a much better experience without protector. cheaha bill

14. yamafx4dude

yamafx4dude Lurker
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Tech
    Houston, TX
    I just put one on. I dunno, kinda sucks.

A) The phone looks better without IMO
    B) The screen protector retains a lot of oil. Looks gross. The glass shows oil as well but it doesnt stay on / comes off easy.

Im going to test drive with it on a few more days but I can already tell you its coming off.

15. bishop92t

bishop92t Newbie
    None

Jul 27, 2010
    no protector here, had it since release day and no scratches. I'm sure I will scratch it eventually, but it will be obsolete by then. screen just feels and looks best naked

16. wes78

wes78 Member
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    Technology Sales
    I don't have anything on it...and have yet to scratch the front. The gun metal on the back is a little scratched from a few drops, etc...but not really a big deal to me.

I think it's also fair to mention that this is my 2nd Captivate since Sept. I might have left it in a bar/cab one night after many drinks... and that one never got scratched either. I'd say the screen is pretty tough...much tougher than the stupid iPhone.

17. thiswasatriumph

None

Nov 13, 2010
    I have 2 small scratches because i accidentally put it in my pocket with an hard anodized flashlight...

18. Android26

Android26 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 25, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I have had my phone since early December (2 months now); no screen protector.

I drop it quite a lot actually. Never anything big or dramatic thankfully.There is a single teensy tiny scratch on it. You literally can't see it unless you know where it is, and never when the screen is on, in any kind of light setting. I wouldn't put a screen protector on though. In my mind, that's like buying a new HD television and immediately slapping Saran wrap on it. Even its 200% effective, it's hindering the main use of the device.

19. sremick

sremick Android Expert
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    Only if it's a crappy screen protector. I have one of the ones sold at the AT&T store and it doesn't hinder my use at all. It's also perfectly glossy and looks fantastic.

20. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto

Sep 14, 2010
    Pilates Instructor
    South of Boston, MA
    I've had my Captivate since late August. I have a small scratch that only shows up if I search for it. I don't use a scr3een protector, for the most part the phone is in my purse or on the desk charger in the house. I enjoy the screen too much to cover it - and I ran my Palm for years with a screen protector, so I do understand how they protect. I know if I hadn't covered the Palm screen it would have never lasted as long as it has - but the Captivate screen is much stronger/harder.

21. TripsYou

TripsYou Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 13, 2010
    Old Navy Clerk
    Calera, AL
    I use the GSP Anti-figerprint screen protectors. They are awsome. No more smudges, no more fingerprints and no scratches. Awsome

22. Dennis_Bham

Dennis_Bham Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 17, 2010
    Lab Rat
    Alabama
  23. Dante04SRT

Dante04SRT Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    I bought the screen protectors from ATT when I got the phone. A little pack of 3. They're REALLY easy to install and the thing I like about them is if you put it on and its slightly off, you can pull it back off and restick it. I had to do this a few times when I put it on because I kept getting some lifting at the edges. I still have a couple tiny (and I'm talking TINY) areas where it didn't quite stick to the screen, but they don't bother me.

Since I put the protector on within an hour of getting the phone, I'd bet my screen is still nice and scratch free.

I've seen the screen protectors that almost blur the screen. I've seen the ones that you have to adhere with a soap solution. I've seen the ones that peel off like a really stuck sticker.... I'd just go to ATT, spend the $10 on theirs and be on your way.

24. jvargas3

jvargas3 Lurker
    None

Nov 19, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    "[​IMG] your captivate screens.......scratches anyone?
    do you have them? is your screen naked?

im fimilar with the bazillion different protectors. i have a crappy cheap one on there just because im paranoid. the screen dosnt look as good with it on.

i hear this gorrilla glass is good stuff....then i also saw some people arguing saying the cap is not gorrilla glass.

i saw scratch tests on youtube.......but i rarely buy those videos.

i want the TROOF.

how long have you had your cap, and if no screen protection have you had any scratches appear"

---ZAGG Invisible Shield works VERY well for me. No scratches and easy to put on. The display remains the same clarity and response is the same. Cost is a little pricey but well worth it considering u may never need to buy another one again.

25. rockfrawg

rockfrawg Newbie
    None

Nov 3, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I have a pretty rockin' scratch on mine that covers about a 1x1 cm square. Technically I guess its a series of about 30 really small scratches together. Happened when I was out hiking an off-road trail, a rock moved under my feet and I fell. I had the phone on a belt clip in a body glove hard case. I actually landed on my phone when I fell. I was a bit heartbroken when I saw the scratch, but happy to see the screen still in tact. It doesn't really even bother me anymore. No screen protector.