• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available - Please help!

jonj

Lurker
Jun 23, 2013
Hi

I recently purchased a Galaxy Note II on ebay (GT-N7105). When I try updating I get the error "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available". When I check under the phone status it says "modified". Even when I connect it to my laptop the device doesn't get recognized.

Could anyone let me know why this might be the case and what I can do about it.

Many thanks

If you guys bought it from eBay and they did not mentioned if the phone had a clean ESN or if it was rooted I would simply file a claim, who knows what they did to the phone. Before buy any phone used, you need to have the phone checked out to make sure it is clean, it is the biggest scam on the net these days, especially from Craigslist.

Upvote 0
If you guys bought it from eBay and they did not mentioned if the phone had a clean ESN or if it was rooted I would simply file a claim, who knows what they did to the phone. Before buy any phone used, you need to have the phone checked out to make sure it is clean, it is the biggest scam on the net these days, especially from Craigslist.

Well, before filing a claim, I'd send a message directly to the seller first, to see if they had rooted the phone or made any sort of modification.

Just from my own personal experience with fraudulent buyers in the past, filing a claim right away, without contacting the seller, does more harm than good (assuming the seller is legit).

Reactions: Sepero
Upvote 0
The only way to get rid of this problem is to unroot your Note, and take it back to a stock ROM. I found a couple of step-by-step guides. If you are unsure of how to do this, you might want a smartphone savvy friend or coworker to do this. You also take the chance that you may wind up with a paperweight, if done wrong.

How to Unroot Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 to Official Firmware [GUIDE] - IBTimes UK

How to unroot Galaxy Note 2 to Stock Official Firmware

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1939758

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones