• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Your favorite ROM/Kernel combination?

sintricate

Sep 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I've just recently ventured into the custom ROM/kernel thing. I've only tried a few and I'd like to know what you guys feel are the best for you.

I know everyone will have different answers as certain ROMs will fill certain needs and everyone is different.

As far as ROMs go, I've only used Fresh and CM6. I was on fresh 3.3.0.1 w/ netarchy-toastmod-4.1.9.1 CFS for about 2 weeks and I felt it was very stable and my battery life was great I just flashed CM6 today and I'm not sure how long I'll be on it since it (obviously) doesn't include 4G and I'm in a 4G city. Having said that, I have improved my quadrant score by about 700pts using CM6 w/ snap 7.6 turbo.

What are you guys running and why?

My current combo is my favorite: Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo + Kings #11 kernel. I'm VERY new to rooting, so I can't say I've tried much, but I quickly took a liking to this over Fresh. The interface is very nice and clean, the new font is slick, the battery indicator includes %age, and it is very snappy. After just a couple of days with the combo, battery life seems to be good. Myn's thread on his ROM is very comprehensive as far as what features it has.

4G does work, so you might look in to it.

Upvote 0
As far as ROMs go, I've only used Fresh and CM6. I was on fresh 3.3.0.1 w/ netarchy-toastmod-4.1.9.1 CFS for about 2 weeks and I felt it was very stable and my battery life was great I just flashed CM6 today and I'm not sure how long I'll be on it since it (obviously) doesn't include 4G and I'm in a 4G city. Having said that, I have improved my quadrant score by about 700pts using CM6 w/ snap 7.6 turbo.

What are you guys running and why?

I will most respectfully play devil's advocate. Do you really care enough about your quadrant score to forfeit your 4G connection? How important will that score be to you when you're running low on juice mid afternoon and remember that your backup battery is at home on the charger?

I'm running your first setup, Fresh 3.3.0.1. w/ Netarchy 4.1.9.1. cfs Fresh Compatible probably for the same reasons you were. It's fast, smooth as silk, and has ridiculously good battery performance.

Upvote 0
I will most respectfully play devil's advocate. Do you really care enough about your quadrant score to forfeit your 4G connection? How important will that score be to you when you're running low on juice mid afternoon and remember that your backup battery is at home on the charger?

I'm running your first setup, Fresh 3.3.0.1. w/ Netarchy 4.1.9.1. cfs Fresh Compatible probably for the same reasons you were. It's fast, smooth as silk, and has ridiculously good battery performance.

Trust me, 4G is much more important to me than a quadrant score, I just wanted to see what all the cyanogen hype was all about. Its not bad but I won't be on it for long knowing that I'm paying $10 a month for 4g. I'm just looking to see what's out there.

I'll probably wind up going back to the fresh netarchy combo soon enough.

Upvote 0
I am running Myn's 2.2 also, but I am running the HTC 11 kernel...I often switch to Baked Snacks Kernel 6 to see the diff...#6 has great standby time, but under use it drains pretty quickly. HTC 11 is great at both. I also have the battery tweak running as of yesterday. So far so good there.
For instance...i fully charged my phone today and unplugged it...It's still at 100% and it's been 20 mins or so.

Upvote 0
Was on Baked snacks 1.7-8 for a while with several kernels. Tried cm6 once and didnt like it initially. Now im back to it and enjoying it more. Seems to be the fastest and Im kind of liking the lack of sense. I always felt like sense was the issue with lag, even though it was kind of convenient. Everything feels so smooth.

Upvote 0
My first foray in to using custom ROMS was using flipz's Fresh. It was smooth and stable. About a week and a half ago, I decided to try another custom ROM, Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo. It is very pleasing to the eye, snappy, and the battery life is much better than what I was experiencing with Fresh and netarchy kernals. I'll be trying out some different kernels to see how they work with TwoPointTwo...good luck!

Upvote 0
Trust me, 4G is much more important to me than a quadrant score, I just wanted to see what all the cyanogen hype was all about. Its not bad but I won't be on it for long knowing that I'm paying $10 a month for 4g. I'm just looking to see what's out there.

remember, you are NOT paying $10 a month for 4G; you are paying $10 a month to own an EVO..

Frankly, I dont miss my 4G at all, since wifi is so much faster, and I have access to wifi most of the day, in my office..
CM6 just kills every other ROM...Sense is just boring as hell...

Upvote 0
My first foray in to using custom ROMS was using flipz's Fresh. It was smooth and stable. About a week and a half ago, I decided to try another custom ROM, Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo. It is very pleasing to the eye, snappy, and the battery life is much better than what I was experiencing with Fresh and netarchy kernals. I'll be trying out some different kernels to see how they work with TwoPointTwo...good luck!

I have been looking into this ROM. I'm curious about the battery performance. Do the kernels for this ROM play well with SetCPU?
Also, I read on XDA that it has an equalizer for headphones - bluetooth etc. Will this work with playback of streaming audio (non-mp3)?

Upvote 0
I have been looking into this ROM. I'm curious about the battery performance. Do the kernels for this ROM play well with SetCPU?
Also, I read on XDA that it has an equalizer for headphones - bluetooth etc. Will this work with playback of streaming audio (non-mp3)?

It comes with the stock kernel which will play well with SetCPU. One of the recommended kernels is the King's #11 (in my signature) and it also works just fine with SetCPU and is the kernel that I would recommend, having tried 4 different ones.

There is an independent equalizer setting for the audio out, bluetooth, and the built-in speaker, which effects all audio playing through each of these methods.

Upvote 0
My current combo is my favorite: Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo + Kings #11 kernel. I'm VERY new to rooting, so I can't say I've tried much, but I quickly took a liking to this over Fresh. The interface is very nice and clean, the new font is slick, the battery indicator includes %age, and it is very snappy. After just a couple of days with the combo, battery life seems to be good. Myn's thread on his ROM is very comprehensive as far as what features it has.

4G does work, so you might look in to it.

I'm running the same Rom and Kernel as you, but I'm curious to know if you're using the battery tweak that was mentioned on the ROMs post on XDA? Or perhaps using SetCPU as well?

Upvote 0
I'm running the same Rom and Kernel as you, but I'm curious to know if you're using the battery tweak that was mentioned on the ROMs post on XDA? Or perhaps using SetCPU as well?

I'm not using the battery tweak, but I am using SetCPU. I really only have a profile for screen off and less than 30%. The tweak has to have a kernel with perf lock disabled and I have done zero legwork to see which ones qualify.

After a battery wipe and 1 cycle on the battery, the Myn + King #11 combo lasts quite well with my use (good amount of games/emails/texts/internet).

Upvote 0
It comes with the stock kernel which will play well with SetCPU. One of the recommended kernels is the King's #11 (in my signature) and it also works just fine with SetCPU and is the kernel that I would recommend, having tried 4 different ones.

There is an independent equalizer setting for the audio out, bluetooth, and the built-in speaker, which effects all audio playing through each of these methods.

Thanks for the information. I think I'll have a go at it.

Upvote 0
using backed snack 1.7, thinking I of trying fresh 3.2 or warm 2.2 for a change. I use titanium back up for aps and data.how do you guys back up bookmarks? also for those using warm 2.2 did you flash all the other stuff such a fonts, swype, launcher pro ect....
thanks

I use warm's rom and yes - I did dowload all the add-ons, but I haven't flashed all of them. I wanted to have there there in case I want to try one them. I have tried the boot animations and 2 of the kernels.

I wasn't sure how people backed up their settings such as bookmarks, etc and I want to do a full wipe soon (phone is lagging, I think it's just from messing around with so many various kernels, etc). I have Tititanium but also installed My Backup Pro ($4.99 from the market) to backup eveything else. I hope it works :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones