1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Your future Nexus One may not have AMOLED...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MartinS, Jun 26, 2010.

1. MartinS

MartinS Android Expert

Advertisement

2. SBERG

SBERG Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    fl
  3. daffyduck

daffyduck Guest

Doesn't sound good.....better get a phone ASAP then if you are on the sideline thinking about it.....

Or, could just be a strategy for screen exclusivity for Samsung to push their (in my opinion purely!) their crappy phones :D

4. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    Oh man...so if you get your phone replace under warranty in the next couple of months...will HTC give you one that has the new S LCD o_O

So lower contrast ratio means that display is not as crisp and clear as AMOLED?

5. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Lower contrast ratio simply means that there is a smaller range from the lightest light to the darkest dark. In and of itself, contrast ratio is a largely misguided statistic that display companies throw out there as an advertising tool.

Though don't get me wrong...it IS important. Especially when comparing LCD to OLED. LCD, because it requires a backlight, cannot match OLED in regard to how dark black levels appear. Technically, as I understand it, the lower contrast ratio should only be inferior when displaying images with predominately dark colors.

6. ap3604

ap3604 Android Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2010
    Not to mention the most important aspect... BATTERY LIFE.

Since the display is the main juice hog I really don't want to have an LCD bring down my battery life :(

7. Rusty

Rusty Android Expert

Jan 21, 2010
    Pompey, UK
    Wonder if they'll move away from the Clearpad 2000 at the same time?

8. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009

According to the article that Martin linked to, the super TFT LCD panel *supposedly* consumes less power than the AMOLED. I don't see how that could be possible, but that's what it says in that article.

9. jacobm

jacobm Lurker

Apr 3, 2010
    that would be a nice bonus if they did

Tags: