• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Your future Nexus One may not have AMOLED...

Oh man...so if you get your phone replace under warranty in the next couple of months...will HTC give you one that has the new S LCD o_O

Sony’s S-LCD (Super TFT LCD), which they claim consumes less power and offers higher resolution than an AMOLED display, although it has a lower contrast ratio.
So lower contrast ratio means that display is not as crisp and clear as AMOLED?

Upvote 0
Oh man...so if you get your phone replace under warranty in the next couple of months...will HTC give you one that has the new S LCD o_O

So lower contrast ratio means that display is not as crisp and clear as AMOLED?

Lower contrast ratio simply means that there is a smaller range from the lightest light to the darkest dark. In and of itself, contrast ratio is a largely misguided statistic that display companies throw out there as an advertising tool.

Though don't get me wrong...it IS important. Especially when comparing LCD to OLED. LCD, because it requires a backlight, cannot match OLED in regard to how dark black levels appear. Technically, as I understand it, the lower contrast ratio should only be inferior when displaying images with predominately dark colors.

Upvote 0
Lower contrast ratio simply means that there is a smaller range from the lightest light to the darkest dark. In and of itself, contrast ratio is a largely misguided statistic that display companies throw out there as an advertising tool.

Though don't get me wrong...it IS important. Especially when comparing LCD to OLED. LCD, because it requires a backlight, cannot match OLED in regard to how dark black levels appear. Technically, as I understand it, the lower contrast ratio should only be inferior when displaying images with predominately dark colors.

Not to mention the most important aspect... BATTERY LIFE.

Since the display is the main juice hog I really don't want to have an LCD bring down my battery life :(

Upvote 0
Not to mention the most important aspect... BATTERY LIFE.

Since the display is the main juice hog I really don't want to have an LCD bring down my battery life :(

According to the article that Martin linked to, the super TFT LCD panel *supposedly* consumes less power than the AMOLED. I don't see how that could be possible, but that's what it says in that article.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones