• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Your Opinion of the new Dual Core Androids?

MercenaryFH

Feb 12, 2011
So I had gotten a Droid 2 Global as of yesturday.....and Alot of people were telling me "WAIT FOR DUAL CORE"......but I dont really see the point?

I can't imagine they'd be taken advantage of correctly with the current Android OS version...and even then battery life would suffer it would seem.

So IMO is it worth waiting for? or kinda a gimmick. I mean I think it's cool, but The Droid Bionic isn't coming out till the summer it would seem.....so

Dual core benefits from apps or OSes that uses multiple threads.

Even if apps are single threaded, the other core can multitask on another app or OS process.

One of the important parts is the I/O.

Android 2.3 Gingerbread will fare better than Android 2.2 Froyo on dual core because the Gingerbread file system uses ext4 and that's multithreaded. Previous to that, Android file systems have used YAFFS which is single threaded.

2.4 Gingerbread sounds like we can see more threading within more OS functions.

Upvote 0
Personally, I would wait for the second generation of dual core chips for battery life. Performance will be better than single core obviously, but until we get down to the 28 nm production, I don't think you'll see any better battery life than a single core. It might even be better to stick with a single core in that instance for at least the first generation of dual cores.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones