• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Your thoughts/expectations of the HTC One (was the M7)

I ordered mine the other day from Hantec too - cheapest place I coiuld find it - BUT, they say the delivery is week commencing 25th....
Dont get me wrong, if it turns up on the 26th, I`ll be very happy, but with the long bank holiday weekend, I`m not planning to have it until after Easter.

Ohhhhhhh.

THATS what w/c means...couldn't work it out for the life of me...

Learn something new every day i guess :p

Upvote 0
International handsets, no problem. Don't yet know about S-Off.

The existence of the Developer One does suggest that at least some US carrier-supplied sets might be harder - otherwise why bother if you can just go to HTCDev and unlock it anyway, unless it's a publicity stunt? That's just an inference on my part though, not knowledge. Hopefully we'll know soon.

Upvote 0
International handsets, no problem. Don't yet know about S-Off.

The existence of the Developer One does suggest that at least some US carrier-supplied sets might be harder - otherwise why bother if you can just go to HTCDev and unlock it anyway, unless it's a publicity stunt? That's just an inference on my part though, not knowledge. Hopefully we'll know soon.

When the One XL hit on ATT in the US last year, they had HTC restrict that device from being able to use HTCdev to unlock at first.

No idea, this could be a publicity thing, but never put any level of shenanigans past any American cell carrier.

Upvote 0
First, were the rumors.... and we were like :deal: . Then the announcement and we were like :adore: . Then rumors of the delay :listen:, much speculation :eviltongue:, worry :hmpf: , and doubt :hmmmm2: and we were like :banghead: But, "soon" we'll be like :rock:, :thumb:, :dancing2: and :party:

My point, you ask? Some folks (especially on another forum) seem to be getting stressed over the release of this PHONE (as awesome as it is), when there's so much MORE to be worried about than this THING. So I gotta try to keep things :cool:! ;)

Don't kill the messenger (see the above post :D)

It may be April after all...

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/22/htc-one-officially-hits-germany-uk-and-taiwan-next-week/#continued

They are saying by at least the end of April for North America but who knows. So many different reports.

Yup...on Phandroid right now that the one won't hit North America until the end of April, that means May with the way these clowns handle they're business... That also means this will launch right on the heels of the S4...lmaooo! HTC is going to get absolutely creamed by Samsung. Ehhh whatever, I'll keep rolling with my nexus 4 and iPhone 5 for now, and see what Apple and Motorola have in store for the Summer. Sorry HTC I was willing to use my at&t upgrade in March, as in early March, but seeing how you guys can't handle a release just brings me back to reality that software updates are going to come in the same form the release of the phone did...With long and annoying DELAYS! No wonder they're failing as a company.

Upvote 0
Yup...on Phandroid right now that the one won't hit North America until the end of April, that means May with the way these clowns handle they're business... That also means this will launch right on the heels of the S4...lmaooo! HTC is going to get absolutely creamed by Samsung. Ehhh whatever, I'll keep rolling with my nexus 4 and iPhone 5 for now, and see what Apple and Motorola have in store for the Summer. Sorry HTC I was willing to use my at&t upgrade in March, as in early March, but seeing how you guys can't handle a release just brings me back to reality that software updates are going to come in the same form the release of the phone did...With long and annoying DELAYS! No wonder they're failing as a company.

The Android updates seem to take much longer than Apple however it really isn't that much longer. When Apple announces an upgrade it is generally ready for the public and has been undergoing carrier testing for several months behind the scenes. The Google process is different in several ways. Firstly when Google announces an upgrade it is generally code that gets released to the manufacturers who then have to test it with their hardware, write drivers, etc. That generally takes a 6-8 weeks. The real Slow down comes from the carrier testing which can take up to 6 months. The android process definitely takes longer because of so many different types of hardware but not much more than Apple. As far as waiting goes, is 30 more days really that big of a deal? For me the answer is no, I understand for others that answer is yes. HTC's real problem stems from it's lack of marketing which is where Samsung excels (and spends).

Just got the same email...end of April...doesn't really matter to me because I'm on Verizon...

Same here on the email but I am on Sprint.

Reactions: toad6386
Upvote 0
this will be the death blow to HTC IF it launches anywhere near thr GS4 release date. Samsung says they have 4 times the amount of pre reg compared to the GS3 launch. If they do not launch in March, it will take a miracle for HTC to survive this. And I'm an HTC fan and owner.

It's happening... HTC already confirmed that its launching the phone in the U.S. at the end of April! And that's the same time the S4 is launching... Lol, so ridiculous... You can't help but say, wow HTC...no wonder your failing as a company, because you make realllllly stupid decisions.

Upvote 0
Laugh now, but if HTC does go under, it's going to be a detriment to the industry. HTC, business practices aside, is an innovator for the market, pushing other manufacturers to be at the top of their game. Though I don't care for Sammy's products, and Apple irritates me with their business practice, they are good for the industry with their innovation. I understand brand loyalty, but I've never understood why some just seem to enjoy seeing others fail.

Upvote 0
Laugh now, but if HTC does go under, it's going to be a detriment to the industry. HTC, business practices aside, is an innovator for the market, pushing other manufacturers to be at the top of their game. Though I don't care for Sammy's products, and Apple irritates me with their business practice, they are good for the industry with their innovation. I understand brand loyalty, but I've never understood why some just seem to enjoy seeing others fail.

Its like RIM...errrr Blackberry now! HTC used to put out a ton of handsets a year, just a ridiculous amount, and there was always issues with something, crappy batteries, problems with screens, a year wait for updates, and just really terrible supply shortages .... No matter what, there was always issues. And time after time reviewers, customers, etc...would just cry out loud for HTC to really do things correctly ...And like RIM they just refused to listen to anyone at all from within the industry and they're customer base.

Now almost a few years later after they did so much good with the G series, the EVO-which introduced us to big Android smart phones, the awesome incredible, I mean they were on fire...Fast forward now and after so many mistakes they still can't get it right. The one looks like an awesome phone, it really does, I love it...But here we go again, issues with the launch, issues with a camera nobody else in the industry is using, issues with the build out of the aluminum body, and then the tune starts with if they can't do this right, imagine how long that thing is going to be on 4.1? In 3 months we'll here 5.0 will never see the light of day on this phone because of some nonsense with sense or whatever.

I'm sorry man I was pulling for HTC, and even ordered my Diztronic One case a few days ago, which arrived yesterday. But now when you look at things involving HTC on a broad spectrum and how they handle they're business you wonder why you can sift through these forums and hear a lot of people in a very venomous way say they will never buy an HTC phone again. Some things never change man, and those don't change will find themselves like Palm and web OS, finished and forgotten.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry man I was pulling for HTC, and even ordered my Diztronic One case a few days ago, which arrived yesterday. But now when you look at things involving HTC on a broad spectrum and how they handle they're business you wonder why you can sift through these forums and hear a lot of people in a very venomous way say they will never buy an HTC phone again. Some things never change man, and those don't change will find themselves like Palm and web OS, finished and forgotten.

Yeah. Heard worse about LG about a year ago. Now they make the Nexus and we can't live without them.

Honestly, you're repeating internet memes. I respect your opinion, but you're back to extrapolating a lot over this delay this time without using the whole HTC history.

BTW, I notice that HTC suggested by the end of April, indicating perhaps sooner with some plus or minus wiggle room.

Yet the blogosphere is agog with end of April, May, HTC will miss out to Samsung.

Let's review - if the One released this afternoon, the SGS4 will still outsell it. If they put old SGS2s in SGS4 boxes, they'll outsell it. When the SGS4 releases, just like last year with the SGS3 and the One X, the blogosphere is going to stop saying that the HTC is the best and will contend from that point forward that the Sammy is the best.

That's just the way it is.

The glowing pre-review by Anand didn't make it through the first page of comments without bed-wetting of tidal proportions over the fantasticalness of the omgz pwnies SUPER DUPER AMOLED screen! And removable battery! And sd card! Omgz I'm gonna faint.

Etc etc etc. :cool:

As for the delay, and the actual arrival date in the US, we'll see. ;)

Upvote 0
Yeah. Heard worse about LG about a year ago. Now they make the Nexus and we can't live without them.

Honestly, you're repeating internet memes. I respect your opinion, but you're back to extrapolating a lot over this delay this time without using the whole HTC history.

BTW, I notice that HTC suggested by the end of April, indicating perhaps sooner with some plus or minus wiggle room.

Yet the blogosphere is agog with end of April, May, HTC will miss out to Samsung.

Let's review - if the One released this afternoon, the SGS4 will still outsell it. If they put old SGS2s in SGS4 boxes, they'll outsell it. When the SGS4 releases, just like last year with the SGS3 and the One X, the blogosphere is going to stop saying that the HTC is the best and will contend from that point forward that the Sammy is the best.

That's just the way it is.

The glowing pre-review by Anand didn't make it through the first page of comments without bed-wetting of tidal proportions over the fantasticalness of the omgz pwnies SUPER DUPER AMOLED screen! And removable battery! And sd card! Omgz I'm gonna faint.

Etc etc etc. :cool:

As for the delay, and the actual arrival date in the US, we'll see. ;)

I never said I couldn't live without LG...I think the nexus 4 is an ok phone, but it's no world beater...And it's lack of LTE is another conversation. LG makes everything from washing machines to smart phones...They'll be ok even if they bomb on phone sales. As far as HTC though, come on Early...they are going deeper to the back of the bus by releasing on the heels of the S4...You know it, I know it, everybody knows it that releasing along side such a monster as big as the S4 is just plain foolish. If the one released a month before the S4 thats at least a running start to allow the actual android heads as well as consumers to get this phone in they're hands and talk it up quite a bit. Instead of good press, they're getting just plain bad press which will turn into no press when the S4 arrives, and like you said...It would out sell the One no matter what, however before the S4 is better then the same time as the S4 IMO.

And honestly how do we know this phone is coming in April? I'd lean more on May with HTC's track record. See Early I do tend to roll with the neagtive side of things, as you know...But I have good cause with HTC, and that's because I lived through the Original Incredibles launch delay and then the Screen shortages with the original Amoled screen before it was even renamed the Droid Incredible, and then the EVO screen shortages directly after the INC, which transcended into a whole slew of phone issues besides screen shortages.

So when I see such a good opportunity for a company that even with they're short comings I still like...I can't help to think out loud and wonder...What the hell are they thinking???...lol

Oh well man...It is what it is, when it arrives I'll give it a test run, I'm not going towards the S4 either way...At that point I'll weigh my options on whats on the horizon in phone land :D

Upvote 0
Intermission ... bare with me.

I found this video (on YouTube) of this guy giving his reviews on the HTC One.

What do you think? An iOS phan-boy, Android Advocate, definitely not a Sense guy, or just an honest dork.

Regardless of what he is, he definitely isn't being totally fair on what this phone is all about. I guess opinions are what they are, thank God they aren't known as facts.

Upvote 0
Oh well...as we wait brother

Anyway...Did you order your case yet for the One? My TPU Smoke Dizronic case arrived to make the wait worse...lmaooo

Nope. Don't know what I'm doing. Getting the One, not decided on when.

One of the clear cases caught my fancy, but my wife had one on a RAZR that ended up looking cheap. :(

I usually end up with the phone first and can't wait for the case to arrive. :p :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones