1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Your thoughts on the camera?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Nagrom, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Nagrom

Nagrom Android Expert

Hi kids.
    Okay so I'm due to upgrade from my beloved Desire in a week and my choices are. The 1X, the Ascend quad D XL, or the SGS3.
    I'm an impatient bastard, and I'm thinking of the 1 X again, even though the ascend was favorite. My only concern is the camera.

I know HTC have developed image sense, and on paper, it sounds fantastic, but a very reliable source over at the desire forums said in reality the camera was pants. Bad flash, and crap in low light conditions.

Now that you've all got your new beauties, how do you feel about the camera in reality?

Andy...

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

It's not amazing, but it's certainly the best camera I've had on a phone. It's fast and that does the job for me.

My photography skills are low to non existent, but in the right hands, I'm sure you could get some really good pics. I can upload some so you can get an idea if you want?

3. sebsal

sebsal Newbie

Im very impressed with the camera in all conditions. It's by far the best camera on a phone i've ever used. The response time of the camera software is also fantastic and the built in filters are great.

4. JasonC

JasonC Android Enthusiast

I agree with the above, it's no match for a decent compact camera but it is by far the best phone camera I have used, with the speed of taking shots being the best part! The Slow motion video is a nice touch but the quality isn't the best, the image has a lot of compression artefacts.

One thing I have had though is that the camera has crashed a couple of times. What happens is that the screen goes Pink and fuzzy! and then it just closes, I think it seems to be when I start he app and then rotate the phone while it is starting up, I need to do more testng though.

I remember when I first got my Desire there was a camera problem, it split the image and made it Pink/Blue, this was resolved after a couple of updates though.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Pretty much the same thoughts as El P. One thing I will say is it is as useless as my other HTC phone for any moving objects. But then most digital cameras I own have been.
    Not that far behind in comparisions I have seen, but behind none the less.

6. schriss

schriss Newbie

There already is a mod to camera that doubles bitrate for movies and disables jpeg compression completely for pictures. Might be interesting to see results.

7. Nagrom

Nagrom Android Expert

Thanks for the info guys. I'm still undecided though..

I need to see the one x in person first I think.

Andy

8. DroidDaddy

DroidDaddy Newbie

It's better than the samsung galaxy note, it's also fast. It's also cool that you can take pictures while filming. However, I was surprised that the color reproduction is better on the Nokia Lumia 900. I was playing with the Nokia in the att store and did a one-shot comparison indoors and found the color more true-to-life on the Nokia. The yellow wall was a bit more green on the HTC than the Nokia which was exactly the same color as in real life. I don't know if it was related to the phone's screen display or not. Both phones seemed equally quick to take a picture btw.

I think the One X is definitely a better overall operating system/phone since I'm partial to Android and Sense, but don't think the camera's indoor (low light) performance is as good as it could be. (I'd say the Nokia and the iphone 4s have better indoor cameras.)

As an aside, the Nokia's speaker is much better than the very tinny one on the HTC One X. I do a lot of radio (iHeartRadio) listening on my phone at times thru the external speaker and I've been pretty disappointed. Headphones sound great, but the external speaker is piss poor.

9. jemlang

jemlang Newbie

I have to say that the camera is fantastic. I tried it in low light conditions last night and it was fantastic. The only problem I had was that I kept putting my finger over the LED. But just with a bit of practice I will remember not to hold it that way.
    For what I use a camera for I find that this one is even better than my Cannon that I bought 2 years ago.
    From what I have compared it to it is way better than the SGSII and the Nexus. So much better!

10. rasalghoul

rasalghoul Newbie

I had high hopes for the camera but in the end it's just average at best. Any moving objects ruin the photos and I tried my best to capture some backlit images with pretty poor results. I imagine my skills (or lack thereof) are part of the problem but I had a much easier time with an Iphone 4 and 4s. On the bright side it is ready to go in a split second and being able to take series of photos makes it easy to get at least one decent shot.

11. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

I'll agree it's rubbish at moving objects, but if you activate the HDR function, that helps with backlit pics (press the little A on the bottom left of the screen when in camera mode).

12. rasalghoul

rasalghoul Newbie

I actually tried that, it may have been due to the subjects standing indoors in shadows with REALLY bright sun behind them. My wife also shot some photos on her 4s and with our DSLR, the 4s was a bit better on the backlit shots the SLR crushed both of them obviously. :)

13. Netherdragon

Netherdragon Android Enthusiast

yer HTC have never really been grat with their external speakers.

Although its atleast better than the POS speaker on my desire hd im coming from. Now that was a poor external speaker.

The camera im pretty impressed with for a phone cammera though.

14. rdw100

rdw100 Lurker

I think the camera is fantastic. I don't have a seperate digital camera and my One X provides everything I need. I love that you can take pictures while filming a video too!

15. vard

vard Newbie

So far I've been very very impressed with the camera. The speed is exceptional.

Video quality is overall excellent - noticed the mic seems to pick up a bit of wind interference however, but that's no different to any other on board mic.

That said... I have noticed what appears to be some very slight stutter when recording video. It seems that if I'm not moving, and I'm holding the camera relatively still there is no problem - but if I'm walking and videoing, or moving the camera around it can become quite pronounced.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there any recommended fix, or settings changes which might help?

I'll upload some sample videos I have recorded later.

Here's a link to a video I recorded earlier. A work of art... no, but just in case it might be useful to someone! (I think the quality is slightly compressed when streaming) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61516329/VIDEO0004.mp4

16. markbuk

markbuk Newbie

Has anyone had a problem with a magenta/pink hue to there pics when white balance set to auto?the preview looks ok but the picture always has a hue to it.
    When set to HDR the picture is fine,also when in video mode the picture is fine.

HTC One X Forum

The HTC One X release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 3 processor, and 1800mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews