1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Your thoughts on this phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Gino34, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Gino34

Gino34 Member
    None

May 26, 2011
    Hey fellas.

After doing considerable research online (watching youtube reviews, reading specs and reviews at various websites) I have come to a decision as to what phone I want: (drum roll) :p

HTC Incredible S

I was really looking forward to the Motorola Atrix but after watching alot of speed test reviews, this phone had terrible download and upload results. I'm going with Bell mobility and I'm not sure how this phone's data speeds compare. All of the video reviews for this phone were US based companies. If anyone has the Atrix on Bell, could you please respond and let me know if your web browsing is fast?

Even though this phone is much faster than the HTC Incredible S hardware wise, the HTC phone has speeds close to 3.5 mbps. Atrix's results were something like 1.5mbps. That's a big difference.

I'd rather get a phone with inferior hardware but has decent web speed. I've also compared camera photos from these 2 models and I have to say that HTC's are much sharper and colorful.

If someone also owns an HTC Incredible S I'd like to hear your thoughts on this phone. I'm looking to start my 3 year contract with Bell come July.

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Hi Gino, if you want, I can move your thread to the Incredible S subforum, you'll get a decent response from those who own the phone.

However, if left here, you might get an opinion from people who've owned the Atrix? 3G speed is really dependant on where you are and your network.

3. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    I own an HTC Desire Z and I'm on Bell. It has similar specs to the Incredible S. I haven't done any benchmarks, so my comments are rather qualitative on a phone that is similar to the Incredible S, but on the same network. I'm also in Vancouver.

I generally use the Opera Mini browser, which compresses data quite well. When I surf on HSPA, it is quite fast, most likely due to the browser than the phone. The stock browser is slower. I don't notice any issues with downloading data. I did install a large game that took several minutes (maybe 10ish) via HSPA. It was Air Attack HD which is I think 30 MB. I personally have no complaints with data speeds with this phone.

I am quite impressed with the HTC Sense UI. It comes with a good selection of HTC widgets that you would not find on the Atrix. I'm not familiar with Moto Blur on the Atrix, so I cannot provide you with a direct comparison. What I find impressive about Sense is the variety of widgets available. There are multiple widgets for different apps. For instance, there are different HTC widgets for the calendar app for you to choose from. It does come with the Google calendar widget as well, but I find that the HTC widgets are better than the Google ones.

I'm not that impressed with the camera on the Desire Z. The Incredible S has a camera with higher specs, so the camera quality may be higher than on the Desire Z. I find that the Desire Z camera to be somewhat inconsistent. I think it does well in daylight, but struggles when it gets darker. This is probably the case for all cameras. Just yesterday, my friend had an HTC Thunderbolt. The camera on that phone seemed similar in quality to mine. We were taking pictures at a not very well lit bar, so the conditions likely do not do the cameras justice. I also have a Nokia N97. That camera wasn't that good in those conditions either. A friend of mine has a Nexus S and that camera seemed better than mine under similar conditions. Note my Desire Z and N97 are 5MP while the Nexus S is 8MP. Cameras on phones is not going to be as good as higher quality digital cameras. My Lumix 14.5MP camera is noticeably better than my phone cameras.

Hope this helps a bit.

4. Gino34

Gino34 Member
    None

May 26, 2011
    Yes, Mr. President sir :)p) please feel free to move my thread there.

Also, thanks Stuntman for your reply. Taking pictures on my phone isn't my first priority anyways, so if the HTC Incredible S isn't that great I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I'd only be taking pics of my cat anyway and not much else. I don't have any kids and my wife hates getting her picture taken.

I'm more concerned about web browsing and having a choice of lots of great apps. Everything else is secondary. If I had to choose another great feature I'd say call quality. I don't want a phone that makes me sound like I'm in a tunnel and is full of echoes.

I'll be sure to check out that HTC thread and hopefully more will give me some feedback.

Thanks again fellas. I really appreciate your time. ;)

5. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
  6. tintme

tintme Newbie
    None

May 14, 2011
    IS 3 months now on Bell. I like the phone as it has alot of great features on it. Web browsing is good, as for fast on wifi, I have had no problems. 3G works and I have not been in an area with 4G yet. Rear camera is good. I have really had no use for the front camera for video chat as Skype, ooVoo, and Google Voice do not work yet with this phone (in Canada) Sometimes calls have an echo, but for most part they are good. Skype calls suck. I purchased a Canada plan for three months and it does not work well from the US last weekend. I just got mine unlocked as I am going overseas next week and will change out the sim card over there.

Good phone ? - yes
    Spectacular ? - phones don't do much for me.

7. GG1

GG1 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 5, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    I have the Incredible S with Bell and am very pleased with it. Web browsing is excellent and call quality is excellent also. I'm very surprised with battery life also. I was a little worried at first but this thing easily lasts the whole day and more. I actually get better battery life ion my Inc S than with my Galaxy S (which Is also an excellent phone). I did try out the Atrix for a few days and didn't really like it (i hate Motoblur ) and also wasnt impressed with speed and battery.One negative about the IS is the external speaker,it literally sux but overall ,the Incredible S is an excellent choice if you decide to go for it.

8. Gino34

Gino34 Member
    None

May 26, 2011
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm quite sure the HTC Incredible S is going to be the one. Unless Bell unveils another phone before July 28th, I'm choosing that.

To be honest, I hope they don't come out with more phones as I'm sick of all the reviews I've had to endure over these last 2 weeks. I'm the type of guy who does his homework (extensively) because I don't wanna be stuck with a crappy phone for 3 years.

I realize you can return the phone providing you don't use more than 30 minutes of talk time or more than xxx amount of data used but I'd rather choose right the first time rather than go through the hassle of bringing it back.

Just curious, did any of you fellas experience any issues with this phone? (crashes, freezing, etc)

My wife has a Blackberry and I honestly hate that phone. She's always having to remove the battery because the phone freezes all the time.

9. thedosbox

thedosbox Guest
    None
    I've had a unlocked Inc S on Rogers (and briefly on Telus) for about two months. The only issues I've encountered are:

On the few times I've shut down the phone (to remove SIM) it has occasionally left the capacitive buttons on until the battery is pulled.

Loading of some sites using the native browser (m.globeandmail.com in particular) can be jerky. Not sure if this is due to the javascript employed on the site or some other issue.

When squeezed gently, there is a creak in the middle right hand side of the case.

In short, the issues are trivial and I've not felt that the phone is unreliable.

A couple of Canadian reviews:
    HTC Incredible S Review
    Video: HTC Incredible S In-depth Review | MobileSyrup.com

10. Gino34

Gino34 Member
    None

May 26, 2011
    Thanks dosbox, those reviews were very helpful.

I'm not going to be getting a phone just yet but it looks like the HTC Incredible S is the one for me.

I probably know more about this phone now than the store clerks. :p

Thanks to everyone again for steering me in the right direction!

;)

11. thedosbox

thedosbox Guest
    None
    Bear in mind that the Inc S has not been rooted yet, so you can forget about installing custom ROM's.