• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Your top 10 Apps

Josh1a1h

Jul 16, 2010
I am new to android... and i have been on app brain and found loads of kl apps...

What are your top ten fav, most useful apps. (NOT INCLUDING GAMES)
and also can you rate them in terms of performance. do they crash?lag? etc...

Apart from appbrain are there any other sites that do apps?

THANKS

Josh

1. MyTracks - Uses GPS data to log your hikes, rides, etc and lets you up the results to GoogleMaps.
  2. Google Listen - Terrific podcatcher sets you free from syncing with your computer.
  3. Libra - Best weight tracker. Great if you're trying to get a little fitter
  4. Engadget - Engadget.com's Android app. Now if only Gizmodo would follow suit.
  5. Opera Mini - Nice, fast web browser. Opera pre-processes and optimises websites before they send data to your phone. Saves precious bandwidth.
  6. Dropbox - Sync one folder with all your computers and your phone. A lifesaver.
  7. Aldiko eBook Reader - Yes, I know it comees with the phone, but it is genuinely better than the Kindle app or any other eBook reader I've ever looked at.
  8. Task Manager - Lets you easily kill those zombie apps and processes.
  9. Ocado - UK only. I do my grocery shopping during boring morning commutes using this app.
  10. myPlayer - UK only. BBC iPlayer knockoff.

Reactions: bigup
Upvote 0
My apps I use are :

Pure Calendar : it's a nominal fee, but it really gives you quite a few options on how to display your calendar widget on your homescreen to keep you up to date.

Toggle weather widget : I just like the way it displays the time and the weather on my main screen.

Facebook : It's Facebook

Twitter : It's Twitter

Lookout Mobile : Runs in the background and protects you when you download files, plus has some great security features built in should your phone get lost or stolen.

Advanced Task Killer : Helps you manager your tasks

Astro File Manager :

Bump : Great app, works with the iphone's bump to exchange contact info quickly with someone else.

Root File Manager : Gives you complete access to all files on your phone if it is rooted. (If rooted, you'll also want Superuser and Boot Control as wella s CacheMate)

Pandora - Really stable way to listen to music (watch out if you don't have unlimited data plan, or this could really add up).

Ring Droid - Lets you edit your music to create ringtones for free (Mabilo ringtones has quite a few ringtone options, but it is no longer on the market so you'll have to download the .apk file from www.mabilo.com unless you have AT&T).

All of the Google standard apps - Voice, Sky, Earth, Maps, etc

Google Navigation - Decent FREE GPS service that you may have to download (if you're on AT&T) from the market

Handcent SMS - A little easier SMS/MMS texting client than the standard Android one

Mileage - Tracks my car mileage

Runkeeper - Keeps track of my running

All of these have been stable (on my G1 and Captivate) and i use them all. Hope that helps some; good luck!

Upvote 0
Ok, here is my list in no particular order:

1. NeoReader - so I can scan all those matrix codes.
2. Flighttrack (paid) - so I can see all my flights, map tracker and airport info.
3. Amazon - I can take pictures of books or scan barcodes for prices on e.g. books.
4. ColorNote - Post-its for the home screen which I can password protect, perfect for all those plastic card pins that I can't remember.
5. GPS Test - Just because you suck, GPS.
6. TripIt - Slight variation of Flighttrack but free.
7. Vignette - Androids version of Hipstamatic, take cool old school pictures with your phone. Lots of filters.
8. Trip Journal (paid) - Awesome trip logging app, pictures, notes, gps, facebook, picasa, twitter integration. Share your trip with your friends.
9. Smooth calender - Puts a nice summary of your calendar items on the front screen, supports, exchange, facebook, gmail calendars.
10. AppBrain market - an upgrade over the stock market app.

Upvote 0
thanks a lot for your opinions on what you find useful... i love this phone... still definitely trying to work it all out before i start playing with my ideal setup and deleting what i dont think i need.... I want to keep the phone as manageable as possible and its not that atm....

Keep your fav apps coming, and once i have figuered mine out then i will post too...

Upvote 0
My Top 10:

Aldiko eBook Reader
ACV (Android Comic Viewer)
Dropbox - downloads files to your Galaxy via a PC web browser
UKTrainTimes - very detailed route planner
VLC Remote - control VLC player on your PC - great when outputting to a TV
Skyfire web browser
NoLED - displays a coloured icon on your screen when you miss a call/SMS in standby
MixZing - excellent music/video player
LauncherPro - replacement home screen
AppBrain - browse apps via the web on your PC and send them to your Galaxy

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones