• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

You're gonna wanna read this!!! How you can get unlimited data for $10

I just got it! I decided to give it a try, but I called the phone number from the original e-mail that was leaked. At first she said I couldn't get it because it was originally for people who got the e-mail sent to them. I told her that I knew that, but that I knew several people who were given the promo anyway. I also said that one of my numbers was out of contract now and that my son was thinking of leaving for a cheaper plan. She talked to her supervisor then said I could have the promo because I have been a customer for so long. We only had to extend the one number for a year because the other three numbers still had a year to go.

Upvote 0
I just called and was told that the Loyalty department was who I needed to talk to, but they were already closed for the night. The lady I talked to was very polite though, and said she was familiar w/ the promotion and would have someone from there call me tomorrow to discuss it. I told her I understood that the promotion ended today, but she said she would make a note that I called about it before the promotion ended. Wonder if they will still honor it?

Upvote 0
Called back again today, got to loyalty and retention.guy was cool but told me I would have to up the plan to 1400 mins, he said he didn't see why I would since I only use around a100 mins a month.i said I'll stay with my plan and he said he would knock off 10% off my bill for calling....then at 6 the guy I talked to on friday called back and I told him I called earlier and he said ok thanks for being with verizon

Upvote 0
Thank you - Im glad I called. They were more than happy to lower to the $15 data plan for 2 of our phones. Thank you Verizon you've kept 2 customers.

You got that today? So the $9.99 promo is over and now they're offering $15 dollar unlimited data? If that's true then it's good news for anyone who missed out on the former plan. Did you have to upgrade to 1400 shared minutes? Or did you already have that?

Upvote 0
You got that today? So the $9.99 promo is over and now they're offering $15 dollar unlimited data? If that's true then it's good news for anyone who missed out on the former plan. Did you have to upgrade to 1400 shared minutes? Or did you already have that?

how is it good news? the previous promo gave you unlim txt/data for $20, and the added line to the plan
thats 10+30+20=60 vs 20, or $40 off the second line

Upvote 0
I'm currently on the $110 1400 minute + $10 wife's dumbphone line + $45 data plus Exchange service. I get reimbursed for my bill through work but wanted to sign up for the $10 unlimited in case I get another job in case I stopped getting reimbursed.

Called up on Sunday. Dialed 611 and entered 'cancel service'. Got through to a nice rep.

Unfortunately, I didn't qualify for this $10 unlimited data because I have data bundled with the Exchange service that I need for work. If I didn't, I would have qualified for the $10 data plan as well as adding a $10 data plan for my wife if I agreed to extend our contracts for 1 more year. This would have still decreased my total bill while gaining data for my wife.

In the end, she looked over my account thoroughly and said that even though I didn't qualify for this offer, she'd would offer me a 1 month credit for my phone lines ($110 + wife's $10). I walked away impressed the service I received.

Upvote 0

No I called yesterday and it's for 150 mb which is fine as we aren't even close lately. No I didn't have to upgrade my minutes.

Upvote 0
So here we are:

We have the 1400 minutes and a family plan all three are "dumbphones". Whether or not this is over...here's my question.

I finally, really, REALLY want a smartphone as does my wife. She's the primary, and her line has been upgradable for almost a year. Mine has just turned upgradeable as of a week or so ago.

Our contract is up in May where my son's upgrade begins as well.

2 phones eligible, all 3 up for contract renewal in 3 months.

Is this plan something they might continue to have "in their pockets" for people like us that want to get smartphones? We seriously are considering going to Sprint for pricing.

I have got to imagine a Loyalty rep would work something out with us wouldn't you think? Maybe even this plan somehow?

Of course, I want a 4g phone, but I've gotta think being out of contract soon is all the more reason for them to negotiate a better deal right? Especially since we're willing to make all 3 phones smartphones?

It should help that were that close to contract renewal right?

I just can't imagine they wouldn't try to give us a deal like this one that may have ended.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
So here we are:

We have the 1400 minutes and a family plan all three are "dumbphones". Whether or not this is over...here's my question.

I finally, really, REALLY want a smartphone as does my wife. She's the primary, and her line has been upgradable for almost a year. Mine has just turned upgradeable as of a week or so ago.

Our contract is up in May where my son's upgrade begins as well.

2 phones eligible, all 3 up for contract renewal in 3 months.

Is this plan something they might continue to have "in their pockets" for people like us that want to get smartphones? We seriously are considering going to Sprint for pricing.

I have got to imagine a Loyalty rep would work something out with us wouldn't you think? Maybe even this plan somehow?

Of course, I want a 4g phone, but I've gotta think being out of contract soon is all the more reason for them to negotiate a better deal right? Especially since we're willing to make all 3 phones smartphones?

It should help that were that close to contract renewal right?

I just can't imagine they wouldn't try to give us a deal like this one that may have ended.

Thoughts?

i doubt this will apply to 4g phones.
and they have hinted at getting rid of unlimited data sometime in the future. its best to get it as soon as possible
look around for cheap smartphone on ebay or craigs list, get the phone, get the plan, maybe get 2 now, then use the other for a 4g in 3 months.
when something is out there, you either jum or miss the boat

Upvote 0
Just got off the phone with a rep who will be calling me on the 16th to repair the damage the woman in retention did last night. Long story short, we were switched to the 15 dollar 150 Mb plan which immediately threw a metric s&#t ton of overages on my line. They cannot undo what has been done, I have to wait for the bill to be processed before I can find out where I stand. No more Mr. Nice Guy. Today I start giving them the contempt I usually reserve for my cable provider.

Upvote 0
Can't undo it? Surely if they broke it they can fix it. Don't let them yank your chain, if they screwed up your bill they can unscrew it just as fast.

That's the story behind my leaving Cingular... I took the flip phone I had at the time down to the store because it had stopped sending texts. Figured they would swap me phones for another one. Well the chick played with it for about 15 minutes and then said, "fixed". Wow, I was amazed. I was sure it was broken. But since it wasn't I went about my merry way.

Until the next bill came in and it had $150 bucks worth of text messaging overages charged on it. That certainly wasn't right, after all I paid $5 bucks a month for unlimited texts. So I went down to the Cingular store again, bill in hand, and demanded to know how this happened. She said that it was her mistake, that she had taken me out of my texting plan when she was fixing my phone and had forgotten to put me back into it. She said, "don't worry about those charges I'll take them off of your bill". I said, "don't worry, I wasn't planning on paying them".

So I figured that was all taken care of... until my NEXT bill came. Not only were those charges still on there, there was another charge for even more on there for the last month. Third trip down the Cingular turned out to be my last ever. When I produced the bill to the woman she says to me, "oh I'm sorry, I wasn't able to put you back into the $5 unlimited texting plan without your consent. And I'm afraid there's nothing I will be able to do anything about those charges now because you weren't signed up for unlimited texting for the past two months".

I was fuming at this point, but I tried to remain as calm as I possibly could and said, "well the thing is you didn't have the authority to take me out of that plan in the first place without my consent. You never asked or told me you were taking me out of the plan, I just handed you my phone and told you it wasn't sending texts and you did all of that on your own. I'm not responsible for those charges because I didn't authorize a change in my plan".

To that she quipped, "I'm very sorry about this unfortunate turn of events, but there really is nothing I can do except sign you back up for $5 unlimited texts today". I said, "well that's ok don't bother. Sprint is just down the road, I'll just take my business there thank you very much".

And that's how I became a Sprint customer.

Upvote 0
I just called and was told that the Loyalty department was who I needed to talk to, but they were already closed for the night. The lady I talked to was very polite though, and said she was familiar w/ the promotion and would have someone from there call me tomorrow to discuss it. I told her I understood that the promotion ended today, but she said she would make a note that I called about it before the promotion ended. Wonder if they will still honor it?

As an update to my phone call, I got a call Tuesday morning from the retention dept. She said the promo ended at 8:00PM EST 1/31 (I called at 10:15PM EST), so she was unable to honor the promotion. But she did give me a free month of service for the voice plan (I'm on the 1400 minute family plan for $110), so that was better than nothing I guess. Still would have preferred the $10 unlimited data!

Upvote 0
As an update to my phone call, I got a call Tuesday morning from the retention dept. She said the promo ended at 8:00PM EST 1/31 (I called at 10:15PM EST), so she was unable to honor the promotion. But she did give me a free month of service for the voice plan (I'm on the 1400 minute family plan for $110), so that was better than nothing I guess. Still would have preferred the $10 unlimited data!

I'm sorry to hear that. Did you try telling her that her eyes sounded beautiful over the phone?

Lol

Upvote 0
Can't undo it? Surely if they broke it they can fix it. Don't let them yank your chain, if they screwed up your bill they can unscrew it just as fast.

That's the story behind my leaving Cingular... I took the flip phone I had at the time down to the store because it had stopped sending texts. Figured they would swap me phones for another one. Well the chick played with it for about 15 minutes and then said, "fixed". Wow, I was amazed. I was sure it was broken. But since it wasn't I went about my merry way.

Until the next bill came in and it had $150 bucks worth of text messaging overages charged on it. That certainly wasn't right, after all I paid $5 bucks a month for unlimited texts. So I went down to the Cingular store again, bill in hand, and demanded to know how this happened. She said that it was her mistake, that she had taken me out of my texting plan when she was fixing my phone and had forgotten to put me back into it. She said, "don't worry about those charges I'll take them off of your bill". I said, "don't worry, I wasn't planning on paying them".

So I figured that was all taken care of... until my NEXT bill came. Not only were those charges still on there, there was another charge for even more on there for the last month. Third trip down the Cingular turned out to be my last ever. When I produced the bill to the woman she says to me, "oh I'm sorry, I wasn't able to put you back into the $5 unlimited texting plan without your consent. And I'm afraid there's nothing I will be able to do anything about those charges now because you weren't signed up for unlimited texting for the past two months".

I was fuming at this point, but I tried to remain as calm as I possibly could and said, "well the thing is you didn't have the authority to take me out of that plan in the first place without my consent. You never asked or told me you were taking me out of the plan, I just handed you my phone and told you it wasn't sending texts and you did all of that on your own. I'm not responsible for those charges because I didn't authorize a change in my plan".

To that she quipped, "I'm very sorry about this unfortunate turn of events, but there really is nothing I can do except sign you back up for $5 unlimited texts today". I said, "well that's ok don't bother. Sprint is just down the road, I'll just take my business there thank you very much".

And that's how I became a Sprint customer.

Oh, it will be fixed. I have some interesting ideas up my sleeve. I'll let you know how it turns out. Kinda stuck with Verizon seeing as it's the only carrier that works well in my area.

LTE service stops about 6 miles from my house. Sprint and Tmo won't even let me see their phones when I put in my zip code. AT&T is shite in the southeast.

Upvote 0
Who are you with, Sprint? Either way I'd say you would have excellent leverage if you called up and said, "I'm with so & so because they are cheaper, but a friend of mine on your network just told me he got some sort of unlimited data promotion for $9.99 per month. If I could get a data plan that cheap it would make it worth my while to switch over. If not though, then I suppose I'll just stick with what I have".

I'd think you would have the upper hand in that conversation because unlike someone who is already a Verizon customer and might be just blowing smoke by saying they're going to switch carriers, you are already on another carrier. So even if they put you on that plan and don't make as much on you as they would a regular customer, you are still additional income. Better to make a little than it is none, right?

So I say absolutely call them up and tell them exactly that. You have nothing to lose right?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones