1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

youtube app cache

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by sparky_132, Mar 7, 2011.

1. sparky_132

sparky_132 Lurker
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    Samsung Apollo (aka Galaxy 3, i5800), Android 2.1, youtube app version 1.5.20.

I find the youtube app has very poor caching. If I've watched a video, and then click "play again" it has to load the video again. Also, if for example 3/4 of the video has loaded (aka buffered), and i'm 1/2 way through the clip, and i drag the cursor back to the beginning, it will start caching from scratch again. Highly irritating.

I've checked the app's settings and can't find any cache settings. Is this just bad design and does it happen for other people - or is it just me?

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. T.M.M.L

T.M.M.L Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Greetings sparky_132,

I have a samsung fascinate, and the youtube app is 2.16. It seems to be a feature in youtube itself. When you try to go back more than a few seconds, even though its cached, the file rebuffers.

Don't know if google does this on purpose to try to keep people from downloading the vids or not. Look for a app called tubemate. It will allow you to download the vids for later viewing.

Welcome to the forums.

3. sparky_132

sparky_132 Lurker
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    Thanks for the tip of using a ripper. I saw "tubemate" and "youtube ripper". I'll try them out later.

It's a bit poor that the standard app is so bad at buffering!

4. munchie82

munchie82 Lurker
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    hi i cant get on you tube at all it just comes up the application web flv (procress com.wmt tudouwidget) has stopped unexpectedly can anyone help