• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Youtube App Questions!

htc.EVOlution

Android Expert
May 10, 2010
So I have some questions. My phone is fully rooted on Damage 3.2.x but the youtube app seems a little different when compared to the stock app. As I recall, sprint and youtube made an exclusive app that will only allow HQ when 4G is turned on. On the youtube app in Damage Rom, I can turn on HQ even when i'm on 3G network. Is this suppose to be right? It turns on but doesn't utilize the full screen (left and right side get's cutt off a little).

Also another question with the Andrioid Youtube App. Is there anyway to set the location? On Windows Mobile version of the Youtube App, I'm able to see a specific location. For example I can set HongKong, Japan, Brazil, etc and it will only show exclusive videos from those specific locations. Does the youtube app for android allow this?

You can absolutely watch HQ videos over 3G without rooting. You can even go into the settings and make HQ the default, regardless of how you're connected. It even says, "startup may take longer." If its not the default, all you have to do is tap the little gray HQ logo when loading a video. It should turn red when "activated." I watch HQ videos over 3G all the time. It takes a little longer to load the video but its not that bad. As far as not filling the whole screen--that should only be dependent on the aspect ratio of the video itself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones