1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Youtube app won't appear in app drawer

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by puppykickr, Feb 22, 2020.

1. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Enthusiast

My stepmother has a Samsung device. I have no idea what model, but it is about a year old, and according to her it was "the cheapest Samsung device that I could get from Verizon".
    It seems ridiculous that this thing was about $650.

So anyway, she wants to cast Youtube onto the TV.
    But she cannot find the Youtube app.

So I go into her settings, and sure enough, it is there- but it does not appear in her app drawer.

The only way that I can find to open the app is to open the Play Store app and then open Youtube from there.

Luckily the TV recognizes her phone as also being Samsung and on the same Wi-Fi, so her phone will show a pop up offering to connect (she just moticed this, after almost a year).

But I still have no idea why the Youtube app is not showing up in her app drawer, or even on her homescreen.

In fact, her app drawer is so difficult to access that she wants all her apps on her homescreen.

Problems like these are what keep me far, far, far (far) away from ever desiring a device from Samsung.
    My $40 device puts every app I download right into the app drawer, which is accessible with a smple tap to my homescreen.
    I have no want of spending $600 more to make this more difficult or (apparently) impossible.

I feel that if Samsung were the only manufacturer of Android that I never would have gotten involved in the first place.

If someone that has the secret Samsung key to unlock the evidently magical method of placing an app into the app drawer and the homepage of a Samsung device, I will forever be in your debt.

Advertisement

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Some launchers have an option to hide apps in the app drawer.
    Install a different launcher and see if the YouTube app shows up

MrJavi, tube517 and James L like this.
  3. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

If it is a Samsung, they sometimes put folders in the app drawer. Check if there is a Google folder and see if the YT app is in there

MrJavi and Dannydet like this.
  4. puppykickr

It's a no-go for installing another launcher.

Trust me, that is the first thing I wanted to do.

She won't have any of it.

And there are no folders in the app drawer, just on the home page- and no Youtube.

She won't try a different launcher, she doesn't know what a launcher is and doesn't want me to explain it to her.

This is what I put up with when people buy $650 phones.

Stupid problems for stubborn people.

Not to mention that my $40 ZTE can be side by side with her $650 Samsung and on the same Wi-Fi and hers cannot maintain a connection while mine streams just fine.

It is really hard for me to not turn this thread into an anti -Samsung post!

My mother has a Samsung J3, and also has issues that I have never had with my ZTE.

Neither one will install anything that might help, or allow me to.modify any settings, or learn how to do it themselves.

They both want help but won't accept it and they both have Samsungs.

Funny, because I started all by myself, with no help whatsoever, no computer experience at all, and a bad attitude.

They both have at least double the years spent with smartphones, and yet do virtually nothing with them, and are helpless when it comes to fixing any issues.

You would think that it would behoove them to at least find something like Android Forums where they could find some help, but no.

My guess is that whatever horrible launcher came with my stepmother's device does have a way to hide apps, and she did that on accident.

She doesn"t know where her owner's manual is, and won't let me go into her settings to find the phone info for me to download a PDF of it.

So I guess she is SOL (Samsung Out of Luck).

MrJavi likes this.
  5. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Try uninstalling and installing it back

Also try this,

Open the settings menu on your device, tap onApps”, and select YouTube. The next step is to choose “Storage”, which will bring up two options: Clear data and Clear cache. Clear the cache first and check if YouTube now works as it should. If it doesn't, go back and clear data as well to see if that solves the problem.

6. Dannydet

Nova launcher can run your current homescreen unchanged btw...

MrJavi likes this.
  7. svim

svim Extreme Android User

OK so you're collecting stories about the alleged horrors of Samsung phones from people who are having problems and are refusing to allow others to fix them. Doesn't seem to actually be a Samsung-related issue but that's just my opinion on the matter.

8. puppykickr

My device doesn't have these problems.
    Because I don't (won't) have a Samsung.

9. puppykickr

Well, not really.
    This is just what I have been dealing with for two days.

This is a perfect vision of why I don't like Samsung.

And I know that there are plenty of people here that love Samsung (for some reason) and I was just hoping that maybe someone might know how to fix this issue with the total mess that is the Samsung app drawer and homepage.

It is not my fault if the person that owns the device won't download another launcher, or let me uninstall and reinstall an app.

Every thing she sees on TV and online about devices is constantly warning her about installing apps.

She is worried about her phone getting 'hacked' from downloading and installing apps.

She is worried about messing up her $650 investment in a phone that can't seem to put a Youtube icon on the homepage or in the app drawer.

I am so glad that my $40 investment doesn't cause this much grief over a Youtube app.

#9 puppykickr, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    MrJavi likes this.
  10. Dannydet

So this is a stalemate until someone budges.

puppykickr and MrJavi like this.
  11. puppykickr

Pretty much.

Unless soneone knows how to work the stock Samsung launcher, I guess she is just stuck with what it is.

She won't even look up how to fix it herself.

So now it has caused an arguement (not on my part, she was just yelling at me about it) and now I am even more against Samsung than before.

And of course, there is no help to be had at her Verizon dealor, either.

As it is, I see her point that the stock launcher should not need to be replaced, and she should not need to learn how to use another launcher to get the icon to appear in the app drawer.

But she refuses to uninstall then reinstall the app- or even try a better launcher.

She was even insisting that the app was not on her phone until I showed her that it was through the settings.

Then she gets mad at me when I try to help.

So I say let her struggle with her $650 turd that is so difficult to use and gets poop for reception.

Her cellphone plan costs over $100 a month and she will have to use Google Play to open Youtube from her overpriced device that will take two years to pay off with her contract.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA, the joke is on her!

Dannydet and MrJavi like this.
  12. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

Something that occurred to me a few weeks back was my YouTube icon disappeared. I knew I had uninstalled some system apps but nothing that would have effected my YouTube app or icon.
    I wasn't the You Tube app as much as just not knowing what happend. Although my YouTube app was a modified clear version it alway work without issues. Finally, I decided to force stop, wipe data chache and download the latest version from Google PS and my icon re-appeared and YouTube once again work as expected. It wasn't untill trying to log out when I discovered the setting was missing from the new updated YouTube. WTF!!!
    Lower versions of YouTube are no longer supposed and the newer versions that are come in the form of a bundled distribution type app. Furthermore, the only way to log out of YouTube is to log out of Google.
    I miss my modded clear YouTube but I seldom used it. Not being able to log out of the new version is when I decided to delete it entirely my rooted device.
    I missed the clear background so I modified NewPipe :)

Screenshot_2020-02-25-00-57-59.png

I'm not sure what Samsung they have but previously the YouTube app icon was located in Touchwiz launcher app drawer in the Google labeled folder.

Attached Files:

#12 MrJavi, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    puppykickr and tube517 like this.
  13. puppykickr

I have to ask, what did you do to NewPipe?
    I can't tell what you modified from the photo.

I am interested, because I use NewPipe as well.

MrJavi likes this.
  14. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

The NewPipe apk has theme settings but the three options are white, dark or black. Its a subtle defense but I modified the background of the app from dark to clear. Thats my phones wallpaper in the background. It just a subtle difference but I like it. :)

Screenshot_2020-02-29-00-48-25.png

Its not that big a deal as I only used an Xposed module to modify the background. I've also done similar types of modifications with two other apps, ApkToolX and Apk Editor Pro (old version because it lets you install the modified App. This feture was removed from the newer versions in order to comply with Google PS policies). Its just much easyer and a lot less time consuming using a module. :)

#14 MrJavi, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    puppykickr likes this.
  15. puppykickr

Oh, alright.
    I saw that, but it did not register as to exactly what was going on.

MrJavi likes this.
  16. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

Were the YouTube issues resolved?

#16 MrJavi, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    tube517 likes this.