• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Youtube "Can Not Be Played" possible solution

dmodert66

Android Expert
Oct 24, 2009
Southern California
I have run into the issue when on forums (and occasionally on searching youtube itself) where when I click on the video to play, I get the "Video Can Not Be Played" message. I **MAY** have found a solution...Please try this to see if I am right...So far I have tried this on 5 videos that all gave the above error message, and this method worked.

**REQUIREMENTS**
* Dolphin Browser (the method I used) or
* Browser/File Manager that lets you download instead of viewing when on a webpage (for video) (not sure if others exist, just thought others might try)

**What to do**

1. While using Dolphin browser, find a youtube file (embedded or linked) that can not be played.

2. Click the video image (normally used to launch the video).

3. Dolphin Browser will ask what method to view the video (Youtube or Download)

4. Choose "Download". It will say "video.mp4".

5. Click "download" (note, I have not tried to change the file names, but currently if you select "video.mp4" it will put a numeric number next to the download since it has the same name.)

6. Once download is done, drop the notifications pulldown and click on the video, or use the "Gallery" app and find the video, then play it...

Like I said, this has worked on 5 different videos that where unplayable in the Youtube app. I was hoping others can try to confirm...

@ Mods, please move to "How-to and tips" if this turns out to be correct. I searched, but if this has already been mentioned, please delete...

hum, i thought this was an eris-only issue :( i was happy to see that the droid did not run into this problem (i must've been blind). is everyone getting this issue and is it as widespread as on the eris? the eris you'd have to be very very lucky indeed to get a video to play in HD using the youtube app... so does the youtube app work on the droid or no? (without modifying and doing all sorts of stuff)

Upvote 0
HTC is working on the YouTube Problem.

I have an Eris and used to be able to view youtube in HD. Now I can only view some videos using the youtube widget. The better option is open your browser and then go to youtube. Even this way, there is no option anymore to view in HD. I did a little research and couldn't find a solution but found that some people asked Verizon or HTC and were told to delete their 3rd party apps and if that didn't work, to wipe their phone. People did this and found that this did not fix the propblem. I told HTC this and their response is as follows:

"I understand how frustrating this situation must be for you. We have recently discovered, thanks to contacts on this situation from yourself and other customers, that there is a problem with the YouTube player application and it's playback of high quality videos. We are currently working on a solution for this situation, but do not have one at this time. You have already discovered the work around of using the browser to view regular quality videos, and we recommend continuing to use this until the issue is corrected."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones