• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

YouTube Content ID

If you're the only one who can see the vlog, it's legal (unless, say, the content comes from a DVD you stole from the store). If anyone else can get to it, it falls under fair use, and that's about as stable a concept as an elephant balancing on a non-existent pin. What's fair use to one judge is a definite copyright violation to another.

The general rule when it comes to IP copyright is "if in any doubt, don't". ("See the way X is pointing in this clip?" and 3 seconds of video is probably fine. 2 minutes of music or a speech may be stepping over the line.)

Upvote 0
If you're the only one who can see the vlog, it's legal (unless, say, the content comes from a DVD you stole from the store). If anyone else can get to it, it falls under fair use, and that's about as stable a concept as an elephant balancing on a non-existent pin. What's fair use to one judge is a definite copyright violation to another.

The general rule when it comes to IP copyright is "if in any doubt, don't". ("See the way X is pointing in this clip?" and 3 seconds of video is probably fine. 2 minutes of music or a speech may be stepping over the line.)

So, if I'm the only one who can view it, it is alright? But if others have access to it, then I should not do it at all?

Seems legit.

I'll make my best effort to not play music in my videos, even if I'm the only one who is going to watch them.

It's just for fun that I make them.

Upvote 0
It's legal for you to listen to the music, right? It doesn't say "only if they're not embedded in a vlog" or "only if you use a Mac computer". Even if you have a dozen friends over when the music is playing it's fine. (You play a copyrighted CD at a party and 200 people at the party hear it. That's normal - and legal.) Just don't pass out the address of the vlog.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones