• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

YouTube hates me :(

Its funny how u think ur the only one with a problem til u hit the boards and see hundreds of others with the same problem... yah doesn't matter what connection ur on. May play once every 6-10 attemps but of course that's all in low quality never plays on high quality. This couldn't have been an MR issue cuz i remember YT was workin fine for the past month or so since the update but more recently i started noticing the failure rate of videos. I too hope it gets solved soon. Nice to know it's affecting other carriers/phones. Us Hero peeps have had enough issues with our own phones already.

Upvote 0
I'm on Sprint and have the HTC Hero. I have the same problem over here too in Houston, TX. I really enjoy YouTube but I can't watch videos with the YouTube app 95% of the time.
Not to be rude but my Palm Pre plays YouTube beautifully in HQ with absolutely no lag 100% of the time.
I bought the Hero thinking that since Google owns YouTube and the Hero is a "Google" phone, that it would have a top notch YouTube app. This is totally NOT the case. My Palm Pre spanks this Hero all day everyday in my opinion and navigating and switching between apps is WAAAAAAY faster. Yes I'm bummed about my hero... :(
I guess I should stay with my Pre since it's the absolute best multimedia phone I have ever owned... it plays high quality dvd rips @ 30 frames per second with absolutely NO frame skipping! I'm impressed. No other phone can compare to the Pre's video playback capability and I have owned nearly every pda in the past few years.

Upvote 0
I'm on Sprint and have the HTC Hero. I have the same problem over here too in Houston, TX. I really enjoy YouTube but I can't watch videos with the YouTube app 95% of the time.
Not to be rude but my Palm Pre plays YouTube beautifully in HQ with absolutely no lag 100% of the time.
I bought the Hero thinking that since Google owns YouTube and the Hero is a "Google" phone, that it would have a top notch YouTube app. This is totally NOT the case. My Palm Pre spanks this Hero all day everyday in my opinion and navigating and switching between apps is WAAAAAAY faster. Yes I'm bummed about my hero... :(
I guess I should stay with my Pre since it's the absolute best multimedia phone I have ever owned... it plays high quality dvd rips @ 30 frames per second with absolutely NO frame skipping! I'm impressed. No other phone can compare to the Pre's video playback capability and I have owned nearly every pda in the past few years.

Lol...Came from the palm.. Ill wait for them to fix the YouTube app before I ever consider jumping back to that POS... Bad hardware, Bad lag, bad apps... no thnx. But thanks for the Palm plug here.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry your hero's youtube app isn't working either. When mine was working it was top notch quality with no lag what so ever

My Hero's keyboard is lagging or else I could say more. It's for sale by the way. LOL.
I'll buy it for $12.50 since you hate it so much.

oh and I'm not going to comment on the pre, this topic has nothing to do with it or it's youtube app or it's lag/no lag. Just the hero, thx.

Upvote 0
been using mine today and it has been working. Don't know if I am just lucky but I did do a hard reset. Not sure if that is what caused it. I was forced to do a hard reset due to sprite backup acting up and crashing my phone. Oh well, I guess I got something out of it. My vids are working.

Upvote 0
EDIT: I showed this issue to the Best Buy Mobile guy who had a Hero and sold me on my 3rd one when I came in to exchange the second one. He had shown me his and told me that he REALLY felt like I'd gotten two bad units, as coincidental as it might sound; he said his Hero was awesome and that he's never had an issue with his. When he tried to play back the same YouTube videos as me and he saw his handset FAIL, he had only two words: 1) Oh, and 2) Sh*t. :) "See? I told you I'm not crazy. These phones are buggy as hell," I said to him. "Now I'm a little freaked out about my phone," he replied. :) Good. He should be. :)

This is the difference between someone who USES his phone and another who doesn't use it nearly as much.

Damn glad I found this! I started having this issue - oddly enough - on my 3rd Hero inside of the 30-day return period (1st one got a lot of dust under the screen and then bricked, the 2nd one just acted up all over the place, and now this one won't play YouTube video 9 times out of 10).

I tried disabling Sense UI and a few other things to see if that was interfering, but nope. Also seems to be that it could be video-specific; some videos I can play over and over without issue, while others will never play, no matter how many times I try to play them.

I'm gonna send an email to HTC support citing the link to this page. I'm collecting a number of issues I've had with all three units along the way. It probably won't count for much (I don't think they care), but it'll make me feel better once I've accumulated a bunch of issues and fired it off to them.

I work for a technology/product company, so I understand that no product is perfect. :) However, after 3 handsets, all of which have acted up, lagged, exhibited strangely sporadic behavior, and have simply failed to instill in me ANY confidence in their long-term reliability...well...I'm not pleased with HTC or their Hero. Not. At. All.

I dropped AT&T and my iPhone for Sprint and the Hero thinking I'd be saving money. I certainly am saving money, but now I understand more than ever the phrase, "You get what you pay for."

Upvote 0
Mine started working again today, tried several videos and i notice that the videos default to high quality now, and when I hit more the option is to switch to normal quality now. I just hope this persists.

It's much better for me now also, but mostly on WiFi. Connected to my WiFi at home, I can play anything back in high quality. If I turn off WiFi and connected via EV, I can watch only in normal quality. EV + high quality = FAIL.

Update: Now it seems that anything over EV is poop (won't play). I can only play YouTube content when connected via WiFi.

Upvote 0
ive tried 5 different hero devices and all 5 do not play youtube videos. ive tried everything. hardresets, batt pulls, cleared cache, using the htc flash player to play youtube off of the direct site does not work either nor does the youtube app. this just started within the last week.
by the way..this is limited to the hero as far as i know...i tested the samsung moment and it plays youtube just fine..so its not an android thing...ive also tested on windows mobile...so its not a youtube thing...this is specifically on heros (all the heroes ive tested are on the current 1.56 rom update.
ok so im guessing through process of elimination that it must be something with the htc flash codecs in the hero or what ever software governs the video streaming do to the fact that youtube works on all other pda devices. i was thinking maybe its something with android and youtubes servers but the moment plays just fine. so my only guess is that within the last few days(first noticed the issue this past saturday) youtube may have changed the coding of their videos or their stream codecs and it is not compatible with the htc flash video codecs. just a guess but that is the only logical possibility.

progress.gif

Upvote 0
ive contacted htc and they currently do not have a fix. however they have had a handfull of customers call in with the same issue and they are tracking it. they stated that normally if youtube/google makes any changes to the content that may or may not effect certain devices they usually contact htc. but none the less they said they would continue to track and monitor the issue and seem to agree it may be an issue between youtube servers and the way the hero streams videos.

Upvote 0
in case this helps ive browsed a few other android forums and heros from other networks are experiencing the same issue. this may be a problem with 1.5 becuase all heros reporting the issue are on that firmware. all android devices on 2.0 and above have no issue. again since it just started a few days ago it may be something youtube updated or changed. but just so you know its not limited to sprint heros but seems to be limited to any firmware below 2.0 that runs the htc flash codecs. (samsung moment is on 1.5 but the difference is no htc flash)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones