• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Youtube HD playback

I am a new android/captivate buyer. Try as I might (googled for a few hours) I could not find anything on the Captivate and it's Hd playback. My question is:
Is there a way I can play Youtube HD on my Captivate via stream? (and NO I don't mean High Quality I mean straight up HD *720p*.).
I'm just mad the iphone 4 can and I can't find a way to do it on my captivate.
Thanks
Jose

Reactions: BigCat8
"watch in high quality" feeds with data enough to fill the whole 800x480 screen, which is standard 480 lines. iP4 has a screen with higher resolution that is not standard, 960x640. There is no standard video format that has 640 lines. So the only way for iP4 to fill the screen is to either zoom in a 480 video feed, or get a 720 feed and zoom it out.
There is no point in getting a 720 youtube video on Captivate and display it on 480 lines of the screen resolution, you are not gaining anything, and are wasting net traffic.
You might say "I want to connect Captivate to TV that is 1080p" - still makes no sense, as the RCA cable will only pass even 480p/i in degraded quality, and if you are using a DLNA client to pass the HD video to DLNA enabled TV, your DLNA TV should instead get the video itself directly from the internet.
Does this help?

Reactions: Gipson and Endoran
Upvote 0
Bump. Also, any idea why some videos don't show up on the Youtube on the phone, like "Love the Way You Lie" uploaded by eminemvevo

Youtube has a special code for designated commercials for some of it's channels. If you notice watching this video on a desktop/laptop you will notice that the page appears modified versus other youtube videos. Handhelds can't handle this code (or rather its not programmed for Android/iPhones)

Upvote 0
You can turn on high quality playback when connected to 3g by going into settings and enabling high quality mode. Otherwise, the original app makes low quality the default mode when connected to 3g.

OR, you can install the Youtube app pulled from a Droid I don't remember the name of that puts the HQ button in the player and has the ability to set the default playback mode to high quality. It's been working fine for me and I installed it right over the original which ended up being removed before the install process anyways.

xda-developers - View Single Post - Fixing YouTube app?

Upvote 0
"watch in high quality" feeds with data enough to fill the whole 800x480 screen, which is standard 480 lines. iP4 has a screen with higher resolution that is not standard, 960x640. There is no standard video format that has 640 lines. So the only way for iP4 to fill the screen is to either zoom in a 480 video feed, or get a 720 feed and zoom it out.
There is no point in getting a 720 youtube video on Captivate and display it on 480 lines of the screen resolution, you are not gaining anything, and are wasting net traffic.
You might say "I want to connect Captivate to TV that is 1080p" - still makes no sense, as the RCA cable will only pass even 480p/i in degraded quality, and if you are using a DLNA client to pass the HD video to DLNA enabled TV, your DLNA TV should instead get the video itself directly from the internet.
Does this help?

sorry for bumping this but dear lord I am dumbfounded by the amount of people confused between HD and HQ. You're basically saying HD videos dont look sharp on captivate and 480p is the best quality. Have you even tried streaming an HD video on youtube on the phone? It only streams in HQ, which is NOT sharp at all, it is still pixelated. Haven't you transferred an HD video onto your phone before and see how amazingly clear it is? Clearly you don't think the youtube app HQ is the best the phone can possibly display......?

The youtube app on android has been GIMPED to the point where it only streams in HQ (even on WIFI), instead of HD. Forget the technical definition of HD being 720p while this phone is 480p. That is not important, what's important is that there clearly is a quality difference when streaming a vid on youtube in HQ vs downloading the SAME vid in HD, and transferring to your phone to watch in the video player.

So I don't get why you guys say "there's no point, HD is a waste" when clearly the quality difference is night and day. Perhaps we shouldn't call it HD, but rather "the best resolution the phone can display".
IN any case, the youtube app clearly DOES NOT stream in the best resolution. Using JetVD, I stream the EXACT same clip in 720p and it is CRYSTAL clear.

If jetVD can do that why can't youtube stream in 720p??

Google is ******ed for not allowing 720p streaming on youtube. What's worse than google are people who somehow think the youtube app streams in HD, when in reality it's HQ, and the quality is shit compared to what the phone can truly display.

If anyone's still too thick to understand and insists that the youtube app is streaming in HQ because "that's the best the phone can handle" then watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdtejCR413c

on
a) the youtube app in HQ (supposedly, the best resolution the phone can handle since its 480p only)
b) stream it using jetVD in 720p

the quality difference is night and day.

Upvote 0
I recommend jetVD (in the market) ... it does not stream Youtube HD, but it is a good search and download tool that allows you to select the quality you want to download and save to your phone including 720p HD ... it also allows HD download over WIFI or 3G ...

Just to add: JetVD will list all available video resolutions for you to choose, then it can stream it real time in 720p. No need to download and playback later.

Upvote 0
I have tried to find an app that plays HD to no avail. Youtube is under google and so is android. I would assume the app to be much better than the one on iphone guess I was wrong. For those in search of Youtube HD, you have to play it using the in-built browser of your phone. I tried it with firefox but it's jerky.

@yahoowiz when u upload a video on youtube, you can select if it's viewed on all devices or only on desktops. but if you do use copyrighted stuffs, it may limit it to desktops only. and as uzza said, it's for the ads....

Upvote 0
The reason why youtube HD (720p) and full HD (1080p) videos are not available on the youtube app is is because most android phones are not powerful enough to decode such videos. For instance, the Captivate's GPU is not capable of decoding 1080p videos, hence the laggy performance on youtube HD.
As far as I know, currently the only way to watch youtube HD is through the browser with flash enabled. Nevertheless, only phones with Snapdragon S3, Exynos in galaxy s2, Tegra 3 (and probably TI OMAP 4460 in the Galaxy Nexus) can run youtube 1080p. If your phone does not use those SOCs above, you cannot watch youtube HD, as simple as that. You cannot ask a budget phone to perform high-end functionality.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones