• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

YouTube links only opening in Opera

RobGun

Lurker
Dec 15, 2018
I'm mainly using Opera on all my Android devices and realized that on my Pixel 2 XL YouTube links always open in the browser. My Sony Tablet doesn't seem to have this issue. After doing some research online, I tried fiddling around the standard app settings also, yet no change (always open in this app).
Uninstalling/deactivating Opera and YouTube didn't help either.

I tried other browsers as well to test if it's the same and Chrome was the only one that opened YouTube links in the app.

How can I fix this issue?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181215-173207.png
    Screenshot_20181215-173207.png
    299.7 KB · Views: 213
  • Screenshot_20181215-173242.png
    Screenshot_20181215-173242.png
    309 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Maybe I should have said reinstalling it didn't help. No matter if Opera is installed or not, Chrome always manages to open links directly in YouTube. After reinstalling Opera, it would still open YouTube in the browser instead of the app. BTW, Firefox and UC Browser had the same issue.

Could it be that Google is secretly disabling this function on their Pixel devices, so users switch to their Chrome Browser? Lol
I'm just confused, since it works fine on my Sony Tablet and the settings are exactly the same.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones