1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support YouTube locking up phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by vw-porsche, Sep 27, 2011.

1. vw-porsche

vw-porsche Newbie
    None

Nov 2, 2010
    Southern Cali
    I've had my phone frozen twice now from YouTube by my daughter. Nothing has changed except this happens. My child can only tell me it is broken but I have no clue how or what she is doing to lock it up requiring the battery to be pulled. Different videos both times but the same basic linked children's videos.

I searched as much as I could via the phandroid app and couldn't find this as an issue but i apologize if it is already posted.

rob

Advertisement

marctronixx likes this.
  2. wake69

wake69 Android Expert
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    Security Engineer
    Georgia
    happened to my gf shift, try updating the youtube app and see if it still happens.

also

menu apps manage apps all apps youtube clear data

marctronixx and vw-porsche like this.
  3. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    OP,

are you using the web based youtube or the built in app? if you use both are you getting the same issue?

can you explain further by "lock up".. does the handset refuse to do anything.. meaning you cant even go to the home screen? or does it just freeze the youtube app?

do you get a "waiting for retry" message? or some other error message?

is the handset updated to the latest patches (over the air updates)?

are you rooted?

have you used the proxy setting? (http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/361521-streaming-media-tyrrany-sprint-proxies.html --would have required MSL if you had done this)

how long have you guys had the handset?

does this issue occur via wifi as well as cellular?

vw-porsche likes this.
  4. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    have you tried clearing the data and cache out of the app? sometimes stored cache can build up and cause the app to freeze up, happens occasionally with the moto keyboard, if you erase the data/cache in it, it runs fine, same thing happened with my xbox live app, an occasional data wipe within the app will fix most issues.

try that and see if it works

marctronixx and vw-porsche like this.
  5. vw-porsche

vw-porsche Newbie
    None

Nov 2, 2010
    Southern Cali
    This is using the YouTube app. When it locks up, it is the whole phone and the battery has to be pulled. I did clear the cache and am updating the app version now. I have not rooted the phone and have had it nice the day before the release. The phone is up to date as I just double checked it. It has locked once each way wifi and celluar. I haven't seen any error messages and have idea what my daughter is doing as I get my phone back when it quits.

rob

marctronixx likes this.
  6. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    you said it happens on random videos, are these 3D vids also?

how much storage space do you have?

do you use a lot of live wallpapers, widgets? these can eat up system memory and could bring the handset to a crawl if you are loading up HD intensive videos...

7. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Android Expert
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    Resource Consumer
    San Diego
    I do notice this on the 3D... youtube seems to make the phone lag when it's open. Everything slows down.

By open, I mean it's the active window (what you're looking at). Unlocking the phone gets choppy, typing lags, and swiping between the info, related, and comments is chunky. The bionic my friend has doesn't do this, another's Evo 4g doesn't, and someone else I know who has a Sensation also does the same thing. Maybe the new processor doesn't play nice with youtube? ?.?

Tags: