1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

YouTube streaming hackles

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by boomspar, Dec 7, 2013.

1. boomspar

boomspar Lurker

Hello,

I can't view YouTube Movies very well. My wifi get 25mbps measured. So I don't get it.

First minute is playing well but than playing overtakes what's already loaded. Movie stops for 10-20 seconds for lading and then Plays further for a little little while then stops again and loading again. And so on....

What can be wrong?

Best regards!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

That's between your router and your tab. What's the speed between your router and the Youtube server? 1mbps? 700kbps? Less? The data transfer rate is the rate of the slowest part of the path. That's why your provider sells yoiu "up to" so many mbps. They can only control the speed between them and you.

The speed between the Youtube server and your router is slower than the speed at which the movie plays. There's not much you can do that's practical. Move closer to the Youtube server. Download the movie and save the file, then watch it. Nothing really practical.

3. boomspar

boomspar Lurker

I measure with ookla. How do i measure speed to/from YouTube server?

4. boomspar

boomspar Lurker

I think I got the problem since I updated to KitKat.

I get my wifi signal directly from my Cable Providers modem. Wired it's about 100mpbs. With wifi I get about 25mbps. Must be enough to play the movies I thought.

5. Demache

Demache Android Expert

If your reading those speeds from Windows, that's actually your LAN speed. Not internet speed.

Ookla Speedtest is a better measure for Internet bandwidth, but not foolproof. That doesn't necessarily reflect your actual speed to the Youtube servers.

One workaround for now is to disable HD playback. Worse video quality, but at least it will be consistent.

6. boomspar

boomspar Lurker

So all of you, do have this I think?

7. Demache

Demache Android Expert

Not sure what you mean?

I don't have this problem. Generally when I do, I'm suffering legitimate network issues that affect all my devices.

8. boomspar

boomspar Lurker

Those speeds I measure with ookla. So i have a cable contract not ADSL. Cable goes to isp's modem. Modem sends wifi signal. Internet speed on my tablet 25mbps with ookla.

9. boomspar

boomspar Lurker

So nobody can tell me where to search the problem?

10. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

I don't think everyone is experiencing this issue. I have it but I'm also tethered from my phone so I expect it. I will try to simulate when I can get on a solid wifi and see what happens then. As far as solving your issue though I'm not sure what to do that would give you the videos without the delays and pauses. You don't by chance know someone with a Nexus that you could see if they have the same issue at your place?

funkylogik likes this.
  11. sleezecheeze

sleezecheeze Well-Known Member

I used to have this problem and I started using the google DNS server, that fixed it although it still plays up occasionally.

I can't remember exactly how to do it but I think you long press on "settings" in the wifi area of settings, then change your primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and your secondary to 8.8.4.4

Can't verify if this will work for you or not but it's probably worth trying.

12. boomspar

boomspar Lurker

I tried:
    - factory settings Youtube and (important) don't update Youtube when updates are available (in playstore);
    - disable wifi optimalization;
    - disabled dhcp and use static IP with Googles DNS1 8.8.8.8 and DNS2 8.8.4.4;
    - removed unused apps

But I still have the problem.

Then I discovered someting: When I have bluetooth ON. I got the problem. When it's off; no problem!!

Can anyone confirm this with his own device?

Too bad cause I want my sound over Bluetooth to my AV receiver...

funkylogik likes this.
  13. Demache

Demache Android Expert

Ah, that may explain some things. I don't have a Bluetooth capable AV receiver, but that finding does check out. Since Bluetooth and Wifi use the same frequencies and often even the same radio, its very possible they are interfering with each other. Its more common than you think. You don't hear about it too often since I imagine its very rare people use Bluetooth and Wifi at the same time.

funkylogik likes this.
  14. seVer

seVer Android Expert

I've noticed some a/v issues when using a bluetooth speaker. problem solved with an audio cable...

funkylogik likes this.
  15. boomspar

boomspar Lurker

Using this is not very rare here. When I watch my tablet I don't want a cable at it. But i want The sound over my HIFI system.

Are there any ways to solve this problem?

Other thing is: playing always stops about 44seconds. Then he goes buffering again.

16. PRkid

PRkid Android Enthusiast

This is happening with my mom's tablet that I bought her (Nexus 7 2012). But for some reason she loads the same Youtube video on her phone, from the same distance away from the wifi extender that I purchased, she uses the tablet from, and still manages to load quicker than from the tablet. I have a feeling its the wifi routers fault though. Not sure if I should purchase a more expensive one. I really don't know what to do. Help?