1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support YouTube won't play...ever

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ByTheNumbers, Aug 27, 2010.

1. ByTheNumbers

ByTheNumbers Active Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Forward: I searched and also checked the recommended threads first, didn't find an answer or a problem that related closely enough to mine. If I missed it, I apologize and please forward me in the right direction. :D

Device: Droid X 2.1 rooted. No frozen apps/custom themes (save LP for homescreen replacement), etc.

Description: YouTube won't play any videos. If I launch the app directly, the homescreen loads as normal. When I click any video, the player maximizes and will sit at the red circle of "loading video" but never play. If I try to launch directly from the web, such as an embedded video off a site, the player launches as it should, and sometimes, albeit rarely, the video will load about 3-5 seconds worth of playtime and play that much. Then, freeze, and go back to the "loading video" red circle again.

Troubleshooting: I'm not using a 3rd party browser, but have tried different ones to see if that would alleviate the browser-launched portion of the issue, to no avail. When the phone was brand new out of box it did this, as it just so happened YouTube was the first app I launched when the phone was charged...so I don't believe the issue was caused after rooting. To be safe, I unrooted, reset the phone from recovery to factory and tried again. Still, nada. Everything else works fine, including all data-intensive applications. I'm inclined to believe at this point it's not the phone, as all other elements work fine...but I digress.

Thoughts? Maybe reloading just the YouTube.apk would be in order?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. esn

esn Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    construction
    South Jersey
    Did you try going to the website directly and not using the app?

3. ByTheNumbers

ByTheNumbers Active Member

Aug 8, 2010

Yes, as I mentioned above (may not have been 100% clear on that, sorry).

FWIW I went ahead and reloaded the YouTube.apk and no change. Of course, Verizon has no clue. My next TS step is loading up 2.2. I wanted to wait for OTA but it's worth a shot. I'm at a loss for what could be keeping the app from working properly. :mad: