1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

General Yup....The Glass used for the Galaxy Nexus screen is Terrible!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sean76, Jan 22, 2012.

1. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

No I disagree... I dont think Google will use Samsung to make the next model in the Nexus line. I think they will surely turn to another manufacturer for the next model. Could be Moto, maybe HTC again! Who knows, maybe even a dark horse like LG.

Advertisement

2. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

Anyway...that was my experience as well as my ladys with the Glass on the Nexus...

No other issues on any of my Android devices...well as far as scratches go!

Some thought to bring into play personal detail on how I don't take care of my devices...lol, your entitled to your opinion.

Either way....I don't see any positives coming out of this thread...just a lot of Food Fighting...

Slug...I think a close is in order.

3. Mr. Orange 645

Mr. Orange 645 Android Enthusiast

I learned the hard way with my iPhone 4. Wound up with a very faint scratch near the home button. I honestly don't think anyone else would ever see it, but I do and it drives me crazy. So I bought a cheap Japanese screen protector for it and never looked back. For my GNex I invested in XO Skins, which by the way is a great screen protector and their customer service is unmatched.

Sorry to hear about you and Ms. Sean's phones. It is indeed frustrating. I too hope the next Nexus is a Moto device, mainly for the better radio, but the build quality overall on Moto devices has always been superb. Still happy with my GNex though.

4. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

Yea I still love the phone...I mean no BIG deal, I can always get another, and put a wet apply screen on like the one your talking about...

As a matter in fact, I haven't ever really looked into the XO screens...PM me with more info if you can, and how the apply went...Thanks : )

5. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Whilst no screen is 100% scratch proof, I don't believe it's unreasonable to think the screen on Google's flagship device would be a little more resilient. My girlfriend has been using the Orange San Francisco for over a year, doesn't use a screen protector, it gets treated in the same way as Mrs Seans Nexus and her screen is immaculate. That being said, I suppose there's a lesson to be learned here that maybe it

dkt2k, Outatime, OfTheDamned and 2 others like this.
  6. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

No problem brother...I'd say in that case leave it open as some my have some constructive input about the Topic at hand.

All good...

EarlyMon and El Presidente like this.
  7. SeattleYanksFan

SeattleYanksFan Android Expert

First of all, keys don't scratch the glass on phones. You could put your keys in with your phone all day and the keys themselves, unless made of diamond, would not cause the scratches. There are numerous videos to prove this, as well as the Mohs hardness scale: Mohs scale of mineral hardness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

As for your past phones not getting scratched, that is more attributed to good luck in the past, or perhaps bad luck now. In order for your phone to get a scratch, it has to come into contact with something that actually can scratch glass, like sand. You mention your phone going in and out of your pockets and car console, as well as laying on your desk. I realize it seems unusual, but there is no reason a small grain of sand or some other substance that can scratch glass, including gorilla glass (which can be scratched), came into contact with your phone despite your efforts to keep it clear of keys and coins.

When I got an Incredible about two years ago, several people posted about receiving terrible scratches within days. I had a screen protector on for the first year and went without one the second year. I did not take great care of it and I didn't get a single scratch. Others obviously were a bit less lucky. It's how it goes any time you choose to not use a screen protector or case. Some people drop their phones in a case and the LCD gets smashed. Others drop it naked and it comes out unharmed. Again, luck plays a factor here.

If it really bothers you, however, order the XO Skins. You seriously can't even tell it's on there except for a very, very slight rubbery feel, and it is known for covering up scratches that already exist.

P.S. - I don't say the above to be argumentative. Simply trying to provide some insight and a suggestion to help you not see that scratch going forward.

8. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

You never know when you need protection until a thread like this comes up! :D

Same could be said about many things where you might use some protection in real life. :D:D

9. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

I'm going to check into XO skins...one of the other members brought it up earlier, and was kind enough to PM me some info.

PS...My phone is the safest in my truck to be honest...in my truck there is a very open space in the middle console under the controls for the Temperature... Chalk it up as Mercedes wanting customers to have a nice safe place to keep they're phones...lol!

10. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

Mercedes makes consumer trucks? You don't daily drive an awesome unimog, do ya? That would be truly epic!

11. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

Lmaooo...Yes a consumer Mercedes! Actually enjoying my new ML at the moment....I'd recommend to others in the market for a fairly decently priced MB Truck...

12. Pochi_X

Pochi_X Member

The idea of transparent mineral instead of this glass/plastic low-quality materials..

13. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

What? Vehement thread? Mall Crawler?
    World aligned now?

Lol, come on bro...The only place I'd be driving that thing would be through a Jungle or the Sahara Desert...lmaooo!

Where we going with this..lol

14. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

OK there has been some harsh comments here and there directed at various things!

We even had a moderator come in and ask if all could be cool within this Thread?

Yet some feel the need to jab at nonsense and pretty much attack posts.

If we keep having these ridiculous out bursts aimed at nothing....I'll ask a moderator to close this thread down and keep it moving.

This is an open Forum, all are entitled to they're opinion...However let's try and be cool people!

15. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

My phone is not scratched.

16. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Hi there! :mad:

Show of hands - who thinks that they are immune to our site rules?

Attack issues and not other posters in any way, shape or form.

The next post deviating from this gets to not pass Go, not collect $200, not receive a warning for not posting nice and will go straight to failure to heed a mod warning.

I suggest no one play, but you all do what you think best.

17. charliecc

charliecc Android Enthusiast

Same issue here. Take pretty good care of my phones, although not to the extent of the OP. My last 3 phones have been iPhones, 3 --> 4. None of which have ever had a scratch on the screen.

After a month of owning the GNex it has a considerable scratch in the middle of the screen without me dropping it or having any particular incident, no idea where this came from and I've had to purchase a screen protector. I'd love to know what crappy glass they're using.

I've read the posts above about anecdotal evidence, and it's difficult to argue against that given the small numbers of people on this thread, but I'm convinced the glass they are using is much more easily scratched than gorilla glass.

18. Mr. Orange 645

Mr. Orange 645 Android Enthusiast

(Raises hand. Realizes no else is raising hand and quickly puts it down). :eek:

Sean...Forgot to tell you, with the XO, there will be a small gap at the bottom. I think its due to the way the glass curves back down toward the case, but you really have to look to see it. The protector won't feel as smooth as glass, but I think its the closest you'll get with a protector. Let me know what you think if you get one.

19. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

Will do...Thank You for the info! Going to be checking into them today...

20. d.knight99

d.knight99 Android Enthusiast

I'm not sure how much 'worse' the glass is on the GNex, but I've recently upgraded from a Desire which was absolutely immaculate and never had a screen protector on it. Just yesterday I noticed the tiniest little hairline scratch on my GNex, nothing to worry about, you'll only see it if you're really looking for it, but yeah I would agree the glass probably isn't as tough as others.

However, and this is obviously just my opinion, but I can forgive it's glass-based shortfalls because all in all it's one hell of a phone, and more importantly because there is a very simple and inexpensive solution to the problem - a screen protector.

21. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

Well, my last post was deleted for no particular reason I guess.

Anyway, the bottom line is that everyone's experiences are different. The OP had 10 phones and only scratched the Nexus. That doesn't make the Nexus terrible, it makes it his unlucky one.

I had 10 phones and only scratched the original Droid with Gorilla glass. That doesn't make the Droid (or Gorilla glass) terrible, it makes it my unlucky one.

You can't take personal experiences and assume they are the same for everyone and label a product as defective because of one bad experience.

Sandroidfan and binary visions like this.
  22. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert

Tim K has got it exactly.

You're talking about somewhat random events here. The right piece of sand in the right place, usually.

I owned 2 iPhones and 2 Droid Xs. All four had Gorilla glass. Two got scratched - one iPhone and one Droid X. All four got carried in the same way, with the same general disregard (I treat my phones well but I don't dance around them or make adjustments in my life for them - they go where I want to put them at the time). It doesn't make any of them bad products, it means that one of each happened to have the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I wish the hyperbole would stop across the board. It's good to share experiences but it's utterly ridiculous to broadly label those experiences as true for all people in all situations (as the title, "The glass [...] is terrible!" implies).

dkt2k, tdub88, RichSz and 1 other person like this.
  23. mysterioustko

mysterioustko Newbie

Exactly. Just as the OP stated he's had particular other phones in the past that haven't gotten scratched, other people have had those phones and they did get scratched. Personally, I think keeping a phone in your pocket with no protection on it is playing with fire. That really isn't how a phone should be carried on your person. I realize many people do it. But what those people don't realize is that there are many hazards in a pocket (sand, dust, etc). When you keep your phone there with no protection, you are constantly subjecting your phone to those hazards. It doesn't matter which phone you use, if you continuously subject the phone to these conditions, eventually one of your phones is going to be damaged.

dkt2k likes this.
  24. krouget

krouget Android Enthusiast

I'm of the camp that the Gnex glass isn't as tough, either. Though I've had my Droid the longest and it's had more than its share of bumps, the glass never saw so much as a scratch-- luck or not. Though I've had them for less time, none of my other devices saw a scratch either, and I've had my Xoom on the beach before.

Thus far, in my short ownership of the GN, it's managed to get two micro scratches and I've arguably been more careful with this phone, since it's the new baby. I usually don't rely on anecdotal evidence to arrive at a conclusion, but my experiences speak loudly enough for me.

That said, I buy my phones/devices to use them, and fully expect and accept that they will suffer wear over their lifetime. Since I usually don't try to resell them at the end of my 18-24 month life expectancy, none of this is a deal-breaker for me, but I will be that much more careful with the GN.

Besides, the first bit of damage is always the worst. After that, the rest is easier to live with.:D

25. mysterioustko

mysterioustko Newbie

I understand what you're saying, but the problem is that logic is extremely flawed. No two phones are going to go through the exact same things. They aren't going to be exposed to the exact same conditions for the exact same amount of time. So to draw a conclusion based on one thing getting damaged and another not, really doesn't make a lot of sense. By that logic, my current car has a weak windshield because it got cracked. My previous cars never got a cracked windshield and I drive the same areas and do the same things that I currently do now. Now obviously this doesn't really mean that my current car has a weaker windshield, but by your logic then it would.

Tags: