1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Tips Z Ultra gets a GPE variant

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by El Presidente, Dec 10, 2013.

1. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland

Advertisement

xacto likes this.
  2. xacto

xacto Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Male
    Romania
    They might come with a Z1 GPE variant, but looking at the update process of other OEMs that released such phones, the whole thing might not be so attractive since updating the OS takes a lot longer than the Nexus line anyways.

And since the Z1 has a very lightly skinned Android to begin with, I am not very excited about a GPE version of it, I am pretty much happy as it is.

3. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Yeah, I'm normally an AOSP kinda guy, but if I had the choice between a GPE & what I have now, I'd probably stick with stock.

I'm not massively fussed about the latest updates, as long as what I have works.

xacto likes this.
  4. xacto

xacto Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Male
    Romania
    I have come to this Z1 from a Galaxy S3; before rooting and installing CM on that one, phone was laggy, slow and unresponsive, a sad experience. It usually took up to 5 seconds to open my contacts, and there weren't so many, about 80.

But this Z1 is clearly another league, hardware and software; even if there would be a CM version for it, I don't think I would install it now, because there isn't much need to do so. Oh yes, the latest Android version, but the changes in Kit Kat aren't a world changer for me, and I can live without them. I just don't need any more hassle with radio, or wifi signal or some other problems still present in nightlies. I will be patiently waiting for Sony's updates, and when they stop coming I will move on to another Xperia, who knows, maybe Z2, if it turns out to be an improvement over the Z1.