1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Z4 Problems

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Traviswf, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Traviswf

Traviswf Member

I dont see anyone else talking about this, so I'm wondering if I am doing something wrong. I seem unable to temp root with Z4. I was able to at first, then I uninstalled the program until perm root was found. After re-installing the same apk (it was in an email attachment) it would not work.

At first it just continually force closed. After a reboot it would attempt to temp root - but every time it would soft reset the phone. After the phone booted up again, the app Z4 was nowhere to be found. Not in the app drawer or in manage applications. However, the process "rageagainstthec" is listed as using the battery. And the phone runs incredibly slow and buggy.

Now, if I reboot the phone again, that process is no longer listed. The phone runs fine again and Z4 is back in the app drawer and in manage applications. But if i try and run Z4, the same thing happens. And i've managed to repeat these exact results three times in a row. I am actually on my second shift and this one has never done the force closing when I use Z4. Instead it just tries to temp root, then resets.

I'm trying to figure this out since temp rooting is required for the perm root. Any ideas would be appreciated!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. kiddk1

kiddk1 Android Enthusiast

I have the same issue with my Shift, gave up on it, I want to root but am not comfortable with the latest method, I will wait.

3. deezndc

deezndc Newbie

I just remained persistent, everything ended up working for me. I kept removing the apps that had trouble restarting after the soft reboot. Somewhere here in the forums it says that it may take several tries for it to officially root.

4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

The Visionary method is a Z4 alternative on the way to perm root, as I recall.

5. edp

edp Android Enthusiast

i think the "rageagainstthec" is a trojan that was recently discovered. if you haven't done so, you should probably go ahead and wipe your phone running the ruu as well as format the sd card as soon as you can. also, maybe change some passwords that might of been stored on your phone.

here's the article i saw on this:
    Google pulls Market apps with root exploit -- one patched in AOSP, but you probably didn't get it | Android Central

also, here's a link to the xda patch that was created to fix this exploit:
    [Patch]Malware Exploit for all pre-Gingerbread phones - xda-developers

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Rage against the cage is the name of the rooting exploit for the Shift - not a Trojan.

7. edp

edp Android Enthusiast

Ah sorry for the mix up and thanks for the clarification

8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Better safe than sorry. :)

HTC EVO Shift 4G Forum

The HTC EVO Shift 4G release date was January 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.6" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

January 2011
Release Date
Reviews